PDA

View Full Version : A nice winter coat with long enough arms - tall guy content

veggieburger
11-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Looking for recommendations on a winter jacket brand. I'm pretty sure I'm a large in the torso, but often I find the sleeves are a little short. 6'2ish, 200lbs, long and relatively lean. I have heard good things about Arcteryx.

Anything other brands you long-limbed folks have had good experience with?

Thanks!

EricEstlund
11-27-2017, 01:07 PM
Try Outdoor Research as well. Jackets focused on ice climbing are generally a good bet from me (I'm a little shorter than you, but have pretty long arms).

Jaybee
11-27-2017, 01:12 PM
6 foot here, but 6'3" finger tip to finger tip. Outdoor Research is good, Patagonia has also worked well for me. The Mountain Hardwear StretchDown series also fits the long-limbed pretty well.

CDollarsign
11-27-2017, 01:13 PM
I have the same issue and Arcteryx fits really well in the arms but is generally too short in the torso - especially jackets meant for climbing. Also, their quality has gone down since they moved manufacturing from Canada. FWIW I have been wearing 3 of their jackets for over 10 years with repairs every couple years.

Got a Patagonia down jacket this season and really like the way it fits - maybe something to look at.

myth_jimmy
11-27-2017, 01:41 PM
I'm 6'3, 185.

I almost exclusively look for Scandinavian clothing, especially shirts, coats.
I've had great luck with Our Legacy stuff for simple, well fitted.

A little pricey, but it lasts. (6 years and counting for my winter coat).

pjm
11-27-2017, 02:17 PM
Good old LL Bean usually offers tall sizes in their shirts and jackets.

mhespenheide
11-27-2017, 03:13 PM
6'4", 185# here.

LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and (I think) Land's End have "tall" options.

My best fit comes from the UK seller "Rab"; their larges seem a little trimmer than US manufacturers and fit me very well. Craft and Mammut also seem good in this regard. You can sometimes score really good deals on these brands second hand or on closeout since most people are not familiar with them.

As it happens, I have an extra lightweight/warm down jacket from Rab, new with tags. I somehow managed to end up with two last winter, and only need one as much as I love it. PM me if interested.

arimajol
11-27-2017, 06:18 PM
Try Fjallraven. The Greenland No. 1 down jacket is wonderful. The sleeves are long enough for me to commute in comfortable and fits my long torso. Even a bit longer in back, which is always nice when cycling.
https://www.fjallraven.us/products/greenland-no-1-down-jacket
Can be got much cheaper by shopping around.

Gummee
11-27-2017, 06:38 PM
If you want a cycling gear recommendation the 'last years' orange/grey Bontrager jacket has 'way too long' arms for most people

M

seanile
11-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Duluth Trading Company has a Tall dimension that works well for me. i'm 215, 6'1" w/6'3" wingspan.

Ken Robb
11-27-2017, 07:06 PM
Lands End has MANY jackets and coats in Tall Sizes. I have 50% off anything they sell offers in my e-mail often. Their stuff is guaranteed forever--no kidding. If you order online and it doesn't fit you can exchange at a Sears store if that's easier than return shipping.

I had a Squall jacket for 20 years and it was still in great shape. I loaned it to one of my wife's students for a camping trip to Yosemite. He must have loved it too because he never returned it so I bought a new one last November. I have several down jackets that I also like but wet down is not good insulation. I have read that there are now new types of down that work even when wet but I haven't tried them.

veggieburger
11-27-2017, 07:46 PM
Try Fjallraven. The Greenland No. 1 down jacket is wonderful. The sleeves are long enough for me to commute in comfortable and fits my long torso. Even a bit longer in back, which is always nice when cycling.
https://www.fjallraven.us/products/greenland-no-1-down-jacket
Can be got much cheaper by shopping around.

Good call, never thought of Fj. Have some of their pants, love them.

Thanks all!

David in Maine
11-27-2017, 07:53 PM
If you're looking for something a little bit more "urban" but still very functional, Nau tends to fit me well, I'm 6'2" and all my height is in the torso and I have longish arms.

David

Andy sti
11-27-2017, 07:55 PM
Good call, never thought of Fj. Have some of their pants, love them.

Thanks all!

Check steepandcheap. Bunch on sale right now.

tkbike
11-27-2017, 07:57 PM
6’2” 180# with gorilla arms, 6’5.5” wingspan! MH, Arc’teryx and rab are consistently appropriately sized for me. OR and Patagonia are all over the place in sizing...size large can very by two inches in sleeve length and have a waist big enough for an elephant!

pdonk
11-27-2017, 09:08 PM
For arc teryx also consider the veilance line. It's less technical and still made in Canada. The price premium reflects but it is great and fits us monkey armed guys. Canada goose can fit ok depending on style.

alancw3
11-28-2017, 03:14 AM
ll bean offers most of their coats in tall. i am 6'4" with a 37 sleeve and they fit well as i have bought several over the last twenty years. i particularly like the baxter state parka and the game warden parka. both very warm. some have goose down overs high tech insulation. one negative to goose down is when and if you have to get it cleaned. cleaners have major caveats about their responsibility for cleaning down filled jackets.

KidWok
11-28-2017, 03:00 PM
+1 for Arc'Teryx. I have the A2B Commuter hardshell jacket and ended up buying a second one for later use specifically because of fit. I'm 6'2", 190lbs, 34" waist and long arms. The large fits me nicely with ample sleeve length and tailored fit around the torso. Only gripe some people have with it is no pit vents which I don't really mind.

For mid-layering, I find that Ibex tends to have long sleeves with slimmer torsos.

Tai

xnetter
11-28-2017, 08:13 PM
I have an Arcteryx Theta AR Gore-Tex shell that I wear a lot, both on and off the bike. Even though I'm 6'4" and about 165lbs, the size Medium fits me almost perfectly. Slim-ish cut, drop hem in the back and long arms. Great pro shell.

KJ

Bob Ross
11-28-2017, 09:08 PM
LL Bean, Eddie Bauer, and (I think) Land's End have "tall" options.

Yes, I got my winter parka from Land's End ~5 years ago in a long/tall size. Astonishingly warm jacket...almost too warm for New York City winters, unless I remember to only wear a t-shirt underneath it.

Lands End has MANY jackets and coats in Tall Sizes. I have 50% off anything they sell offers in my e-mail often. Their stuff is guaranteed forever--no kidding.

Wow, I did not know that!