PDA

View Full Version : Campy SR shifter oddities

cgolvin
11-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Apologies if this is already asked and answered somewhere else, if so please point me there.

After finishing my Ottrott build and two initial rides I'm looking to solve these two oddities with the right (rear) SR 11 shifter:

1. When dumping a block of gears by moving the thumb shifter to its full motion it does not return to position. Thought it was due to poor installation of the hood covers but that doesn't appear to be the case.
2. When on the smallest cog the thumb shifter will continue to 'click' down infinitely. On all my other (Record 10) shifters when the shifter is at its extreme the shifter won't click further.

I suspect that something's not right with the cable but shifting performance is good throughout the cassette. The shifter's not new but I'm told it only had a couple of hundred miles on it so don't think there's anything wrong with it, rather my build was incorrect in some way.

Thanks all. Preparing to post build pics (getting out to ride was, somehow, more important).

ultraman6970
11-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Check the cable spooler 1st.

cgolvin
11-27-2017, 11:27 AM
Check the cable spooler 1st.

Thanks, can you be a bit more specific? Apologies if I'm being thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ultraman6970
11-27-2017, 11:46 AM
The cable spooler is the piece that holds the head of the cable, if the head is not in the hole, all the way in, the head will start scratching the inside creating friction, making the lever to get stuck going up or down.

Easy to check, just look under the rubber where you put the cable in, and check if the head is all the way in the hole.

Just shift it and look what is going on with the head. This brings me to another question, are u using campagnolo or shimano cables? If you have a shimano cable in there the head wont fit the cable spooler.

Did you check tension in the cable?

cgolvin
11-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Thanks, I will examine the spooler close up and personal.

Campy cables, were actually reinstalled by LBS because I could not get the cable housing lengths and routing exactly right.

The cable tension seems correct, shift performance is quite good in both directions.

Black Dog
11-28-2017, 09:43 AM
Well the thumb button sticking thing is sort of normal. Both of my 11 speed shifters do this. They just get hung up in the hood. A drop of lube on the bottom of the slot in the hood will solve the issue if it bothers you. As for the clicking. That one is unusual, if you are experiencing a full click not just some movement.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Apologies if this is already asked and answered somewhere else, if so please point me there.

After finishing my Ottrott build and two initial rides I'm looking to solve these two oddities with the right (rear) SR 11 shifter:

1. When dumping a block of gears by moving the thumb shifter to its full motion it does not return to position. Thought it was due to poor installation of the hood covers but that doesn't appear to be the case.
2. When on the smallest cog the thumb shifter will continue to 'click' down infinitely. On all my other (Record 10) shifters when the shifter is at its extreme the shifter won't click further.

I suspect that something's not right with the cable but shifting performance is good throughout the cassette. The shifter's not new but I'm told it only had a couple of hundred miles on it so don't think there's anything wrong with it, rather my build was incorrect in some way.

Thanks all. Preparing to post build pics (getting out to ride was, somehow, more important).

Do the shifters feel real ‘clicky’? I’d check the tightness of the wee bolts in front and back, they tend to loosen(need to remove brake lever blade for front). I also think the hood may be preventing thumb button return. BUT if you can’t get it sorted, send to me and I’ll take a look.

cgolvin
11-28-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks both.

This evening I'll put the bike on the stand, pull the hood off the shifter, and be able to answer the questions you've raised (I honestly can't remember now whether the movement of the thumb lever is a full click or just movement, I think the latter).

bontie
11-29-2017, 12:07 AM
I had this recently, but on the LH shifter. Remove the shifter and tighten the small bolt that holds the internals "together. Its a very easy fix - see here Worn SR shifter?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_fid=14564&share_tid=141554&url=http%3A%2F%2Fweightweenies%2Estarbike%2Ecom%2F forum%2Fviewtopic%2Ephp%3Ft%3D141554&share_type=t

cgolvin
11-29-2017, 09:57 AM
D'oh. The "non-return" seems to have been misalignment of the hood. Removed and reinstalled last night and it now returns on its own.

The extra movement in the shifter when in the lowest cog remains, but it is not a full 'click' just the absence of a firm stop.

Thanks all.

Black Dog
11-29-2017, 06:11 PM
Sounds like you are good to go. :)