PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with Mavic Crossmax Pro SL wheels? (gravel bike?)

Wayne77
11-27-2017, 09:45 AM
Background: Im looking for some 650B disc wheels, front and rear thru-axle for a Norco Search XR frame. I will be doing a lot of competitive gravel races (like the Crusher). I’ll be running WTB Byway tires. I already have a set of a Chris King R45 laced to Stans Crest MK3. I really love those wheels but they are QR and I’ve heard they cannot be converted to thru-axle. So I’ll probably have to sell them.

I found a deal online to pick them up for $599 new (650B disc, thru-axle). Seems like a good deal. Anyway, Im saving up for a new gravel bike build. I do understand the wise recommendation in many cases to go custom vs factory wheels, but these seem to be competivle light and I’m not sure $600 will get me something as light & stiff if I go the custom route. Maybe I’m wrong though. A couple related gravel wheel questions:

- can the front hub on the Mavic Crossmax be converted to 12mm thu-axle?

- Would they work ok tubeless with the WTB tires?

- Wondering if I could take apart the Chris King wheels I already have, sell the hubs and replace with Chris King thru-axle hubs. Do you know if the flanges have the same measurements so I could use the existing spokes?

- Any other 650B wheel recommendations in the $600 range that are reasonably light and stiff? Looking for something in the 1500 gram range. Of course I’m open to custom...but I’m pretty sure I couldn’t get a set equivalemt to my current CK wheels for anywhere near $600. Durability is key of course. I’ve had great experiences with a few sets of Ksyrium SLs/ES I’ve owned over the years, so I was thinking the Crossmax wheels might be a good option for gravel.

Thoughts?

Wayne77
11-27-2017, 06:27 PM
Bump.

Wayne77
11-28-2017, 10:28 PM
One more bump to see if anyone has experience with these wheels.