PDA

View Full Version : Velonews "Big Changes at Discovery"

97CSI
09-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Anyone get to read this before Velonews got 'cold-feet' and "spiked" it (pulled the story)? Wonder what they said that Discovery didn't like. Or, maybe it was LA and his barrels of ink who complained. :D

DarkStar
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Here you go. This is what I've found, but there may have been more to the story.

"The Discovery Channel team will undergo major changes at the end of the current season, with 11 riders leaving the outfit for which Lance Armstrong won his last Tour de France crown.

Discovery Channel team manager Johan Bruyneel experienced a painful three weeks without Armstrong on this year's Tour de France, where the team struggled in the absence of the now retired Texan.

Imminent recruit, Levi Leipheimer of Gerolsteiner, will lead the American team's 2007 Tour de France campaign, but Discovery have recruited with widening their scope for success elsewhere in mind.

Slovenian Uros Murn, Portuguese all rounder Sergio Paulinho and Lithuanian sprinter Tomas Vaitkus are all set to join the team.

Up and coming Belgian Gianni Meersman, 21, is also set to sign on Discovery's dotted line.

Bruyneel said he has other riders in his recruitment plans.

"The team was built around Lance for seven years. Now we've got fresh objectives outside of the Tour de France, so it's normal we make some changes."

Russian veteran Viatcheslav Ekimov will join the team's management staff when he retires from riding. The former Olympic time trial champion will end a career which first clicked into gear in 1990.

Ekimov will be joined in the exit door by Portuguese Jose Azevedo, Canadian Michael Barry, Spaniard Manuel Beltran, Russian Guennadi Mikhailo, Briton Roger Hammond, Belgian pair Leif Hoste and Jurgen Van de Broeck, Luxemburger Benoit Joachim, Italian Paolo Savoldelli and Dutchman Max Van Heeswijk.

Barry is said to be joining the T-Mobile team, which will be managed by American Bob Stapleton."

atmo
09-21-2006, 05:19 PM
i never refreshed my browser.

here:

http://velonews.com/race/int/articles/10913.0.html

Big changes at Discovery
By Staff and wire reports
This report filed September 21, 2006
The Discovery Channel team will undergo major changes at the end of the current season, with 11 riders leaving the outfit for which Lance Armstrong won his last Tour de France crown.

Discovery Channel team manager Johan Bruyneel experienced a painful three weeks without Armstrong on this year's Tour de France, where the team struggled in the absence of the now retired Texan.

Imminent recruit, Levi Leipheimer of Gerolsteiner, will lead the American team's 2007 Tour de France campaign, but Discovery have recruited with widening their scope for success elsewhere in mind.

Slovenian Uros Murn, Portuguese all rounder Sergio Paulinho and Lithuanian sprinter Tomas Vaitkus are all set to join the team.

Up and coming Belgian Gianni Meersman, 21, is also set to sign on Discovery's dotted line.

Bruyneel said he has other riders in his recruitment plans.

"The team was built around Lance for seven years. Now we've got fresh objectives outside of the Tour de France, so it's normal we make some changes."

Russian veteran Viatcheslav Ekimov will join the team's management staff when he retires from riding. The former Olympic time trial champion will end a career which first clicked into gear in 1990.

Ekimov will be joined in the exit door by Portuguese Jose Azevedo, Canadian Michael Barry, Spaniard Manuel Beltran, Russian Guennadi Mikhailo, Briton Roger Hammond, Belgian pair Leif Hoste and Jurgen Van de Broeck, Luxemburger Benoit Joachim, Italian Paolo Savoldelli and Dutchman Max Van Heeswijk.

Barry is said to be joining the T-Mobile team, which will be managed by American Bob Stapleton.

sellsworth
09-21-2006, 05:21 PM
The link is still there. Nothing surprising - most of the changes have already been reported, right?

atmo
09-21-2006, 05:25 PM
The link is still there. Nothing surprising - most of the changes have already been reported, right?
then what was spiked atmo?

Big Dan
09-21-2006, 06:04 PM
I see more burritos and cholupas for the Disco boys next summer.........

:p

JohnS
09-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Sounds like they're getting rid of a lot of the big salaries.

97CSI
09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
then what was spiked atmo?The story is back. The link was there at the bottom of the previous stories, but nothing came up. When the 'home page' was brought up, there was no Disco story. Now it has returned. I wonder what it originally said, before 'editing'?

RedCoeurd'Acier
09-22-2006, 04:55 AM
with Discovery. They'll probably pick up some of the Phonak riders i would imagine also. :)

Elefantino
09-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Perhaps it's the loss of Discovery luster, but I find the news that Pozzato is going to "Leaky gas" more interesting.

Star on the rise. Now he doesn't have to ride for Boonen.