PDA

View Full Version : Frame Observation

JohnS
04-20-2004, 12:38 PM
I find it kind of funny how everyone "needs" a custom geometry frame because of their "unique" body dimensions. Then when they get the frame drawings back, they start a post about it doesn't look right to them. If you want it to look like a generic frame, order one. If you have physical limitations and need a special frame, get used to the look and be happy that you can ride in comfort!
John-who rides a stock Concours "because I can". :)

va rider
04-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Looks like a direct hit in Northern Virginia!

Sorry for the stupid post, I probably do not deserve a Serotta anyway. Does anybody know if Sears is having a sale on Huffys'?

JohnS
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
Don't take it personally. It was a general observation. There have been many others during the life of this and the previous forum.

Climb01742
04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
and besides, varider, there is probably no one on this phorum who hasn't, at one time or another, wanted his cake and wanted to eat it too. human foibles are our stock and trade here. that and funny looking headtubes.

terry b
04-20-2004, 01:35 PM
Perhaps 10% of cyclists "need" a custom fit. However, for those of us who have done custom, it really has little to do with making the bike fit us. Instead it's much more about the custom experience - designing, brainstorming, picking the paint, parts and other stuff greatly transcends picking a bike out of a standard lineup and riding off into the sunset. Of course, there is the "semi-custom" experience where you pick everything but the geometry and tubing, and that comes close. But I think there is nothing better than talking a builder through the exact bike from angles to tubes to group and ending up with the only one in the universe.

Andreu
04-20-2004, 02:26 PM
maybe I shouldn't be getting one because I don't like alot of the shapes I see on the forum. So I can save myself alot of complaining. I was also a little worried that I have been recommended a "compact" by a Serotta dealer who hasn't even seen me or my inside leg measurement.
Curious.
A

JohnS
04-20-2004, 03:03 PM
I think we should all rejoice that we see all these unusual frames on the forum. Many of these people might not be riding without a bike that fits their one-of-a-kind physique. Look at Dnovo, his frames are not what one would call "classic", but look at the thousands of miles he puts on them. I know his mileage puts me to shame. We should be thankful that Serotta (and others) will make nonstock frames. Remember, they are putting their name on every one they make. How many times do you think a casual rider will see one of these frames and think "geez, that's a strange looking bike, I'd never buy a Serotta, whatever that is!". My point, as Climb alluded to, was that if we need one of these frames, it might not look "classic". Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder (or rider).

dirtdigger88
04-20-2004, 03:52 PM
Have pride in your ride

Jason

Smiley
04-20-2004, 06:35 PM
It makes no sense not to offer a custom made to order frame . And its not 90% of the riders can get away with stock BECAUSE that means that all stock frames are made identical . I think over time Serotta has done more to tailor their supposed STOCK cataloged geometry for their client base , yes mid aged 35- 65 year old males . Now I can tell you there's NO way I can ride a Colnago or Pinerallo cause those stock bikes have too low a head set placement especially with the freaking intergrated head set frames. So I say WHY not just build it to fit BUT I will say there are ways to make the geometry more agreeable to the apeal of the eye. In the end if the bike fits right and you ride it has that not been enough of a reward.

Kevin
04-20-2004, 08:40 PM
I love my custom Ottrott with its 71.5 STA and setback seatpost. Long live custom.

Kevin

Matt Barkley
04-21-2004, 06:58 PM
Smiley - I'll make you feel and look like a fresh talent Euro-Pro on a Stock Pinarello with integrated headset (even though I no longer sell those bikes) - those things are square and more upright - easier to fit you to than other non-integrated imports. :) - Matt

Andreu
04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
It's an interesting debate and it seems to go in circles a bit. I have seen information alluding to the fact that compact frames are not necessary, then I read that a slight slope on the Top Tube is OK....I guess it depends on who you talk to and where you are reading the information. I am still trying to get my head around the "science". Could it be that to get a comfy bike there is actually more than one way to arrive at the optimal fit....after all you need your points of contact in an "optimal" position (arse, feet, hands). How you arrive at this optimal position (or any position in fact) is up to the fitter....and there are a great number of solutions. Then, secondary questions come into play like the amount of flex in the rear triangle, stand over height (whatever that is...some one please enlighten me - as I hardly ever standover my bike...(and when I do I lean over slightly so I can get my foot on the floor) and don't get the significance?) etc.
But my opinion....aesthestically speaking.... is that I like the old fashioned straight top tube non-compact style.
As long as I can have that option when I order a Serotta I will be happy...I don't want to be sold a compact because the fitter as some preconceived idea (right or wrong!) about the Serotta-rider-to-be and optimal frame configuration. But I am open to ideas too!
A