PDA

View Full Version : OT: Tipping the postman

daker13
11-26-2017, 09:57 AM
It's that time of year, calculating the various year end thank you gifts... We typically give a Dunkin donuts gift certificate to our regular postman, as my friend/neighbor told me the USPS didn't allow 'tips,' etc. Well, our regular guy has been gone for a couple of months and i had thought he was re-assigned. But he showed up a few days ago; apparently he'd rolled his ankle while on vacation back in October. He's a really good guy, young, fit, but he looked uncomfortable walking around--in pain.

Does anyone work for the USPS and can tell me about the attitude towards gifts? Should I go door to door and try to collect some $ for this guy? Or is that just going to get him in trouble? Curious if others tip the postman in general (I wouldn't do it unless s/he came regularly.)

Cicli
11-26-2017, 10:02 AM
Nope. My last postal employee that delivered to the house looked for any excuse to not do their job. All the way to the point of just leaving parcels on the ground at the mail box out on the road. She told me it was aginst the law to get out of the truck and take it to my porch. I hope she has a long cold winter.

eddief
11-26-2017, 10:02 AM
If you want to tip your mailman, then tip him. If he wants it, he'll take it. I would not want you coming to my door and asking me to contribute. Your mailman has a job. If you want to spread the wealth, find a more needful place to give.

Bruce K
11-26-2017, 10:15 AM
We have been blessed with 3 GREAT mailmen in the 30 years we’ve lived here. They drive packages up our long, steep driveway and leave them at the door at the top of our front stairs.

UPS driver is good, too. He walks up the driveway so he diesn’t Have to back his truck either up or down.

The vacation fill-in guys not so much. Doesn’t matter which service the fill-ins don’t give a s@@t.

We started tipping the mailman long ago and continue to leave a card and some cash.

BK

makoti
11-26-2017, 10:16 AM
I think tipping him/her is fine, but I'd do it on my won & not ask others to kick in. That puts them in a bad position & you've no idea what their situation may be.

commonguy001
11-26-2017, 10:21 AM
No cash apparently and under 20 dollar value is what they can legally accept. I had an uncle who was a postal carrier for 30 years who received a lot of booze on his route over the holidays even though he wasn't a drinker and ended up giving it all away.
My mother gives her carrier a loaf of home made pumpkin bread every year, who knows if they actually eat it. If they don't they're missing out as she's got full on baking skills.

bigbill
11-26-2017, 10:28 AM
We were on a rural route in the PNW with the same awesome carrier year round. I'd leave a good bottle of wine for her. Here we live in town and I've seen half a dozen carriers and none really stand out.

pinkshogun
11-26-2017, 10:38 AM
Our one tip goes to the paperboy who could use it a lot more. both do a fine job but paperboy is much less of a career than mailman

johnmdesigner
11-26-2017, 10:44 AM
If you want to give something do it on your own and be discreet.
Once you start the tradition you can't stop.
I give my postman a bottle of good rum every Christmas.
My wife always gets lots of gifts at her office this time of year so we try to give a little something to everyone that knocks at the door.
Everyone appreciates a "hello" and a "thank you" throughout the year not just at the holidays.

zmudshark
11-26-2017, 10:47 AM
I gave my USPS guy a $20 because he's good and never complains when I give him a package.

numbskull
11-26-2017, 11:59 AM
The postman makes a delivery just before Xmas to the home of a newly wed couple. The young woman open the door, grabs him by the wrist, pulls him inside, disrobes, pulls down his pants, pushes him to the floor, mounts him, screws him, jumps up, pulls his pants back up, leads him to the door, and pushes him out.........all with a frown on her face and with out saying a single word. As the guy starts to stagger away bewildered the door suddenly flies open and the woman runs out, shoves a dollar in his hand, and turns to run back inside. "WAIT" he yells, "What does all this mean?".
"Oh, nothing special" she replies. "Last night my husband and I were discussing a gift for the mailman and he told me 'F*&K HIM! Give him a buck' ".

jumphigher
11-26-2017, 12:19 PM
I agree with the others, just tip him. Asking others to chip in prolly isnt a great idea.
Good for you tipping him btw, we always do the same. In fact we tip all our service people around Christmas - hair cutters, car mechanics, maint. guys, etc. Makes you feel good and we always get great service.

eddief
11-26-2017, 12:32 PM
makes them feel good :).

I agree with the others, just tip him. Asking others to chip in prolly isnt a great idea.
Good for you tipping him btw, we always do the same. In fact we tip all our service people around Christmas - hair cutters, car mechanics, maint. guys, etc. Makes you feel good and we always get great service.

zmudshark
11-26-2017, 01:18 PM
As a retired UPS guy, I loved getting tips, it really does make you feel appreciated. Sometimes a bag of home made cookies really hit the spot.

If you can afford it, and appreciate what they do, tip them.

True story: Back in the late 70's a bunch of us would have lunch at a diner and the mailmen would eat there, too. One driver asked the mailman what Mrs X (wealthy business owner in Grosse Pointe) gave him. He said 'a card with a note that said "next year stay off the lawn" '.

rccardr
11-26-2017, 07:08 PM
James gets a big loaf of my pumpkin bread every Christmas season.
Great guy who works hard to do his job right.

jumphigher
11-26-2017, 07:11 PM
Yeah I should've mentioned we dont alwayts give gift cards or cash, to some people we give cookies or candy, or alcohol. You dont even need to spend much to make someone feel a appreciated.

GregL
11-26-2017, 09:06 PM
Both our previous and current letter carriers have been terrific. They are part of the glue that holds our neighborhood together. Yesterday, we watched the letter carrier stop his vehicle to get out and play with our neighbors' puppy. I wished I had a camera out to capture the moment! We always give them a plate of homemade cookies and a Dunkin gift card in thanks for their hard work and courtesy.

Greg

Polyglot
11-27-2017, 01:32 AM
As federal employees, you are not legally allowed to tip USPS mail carriers in cash and are only allowed to give them a gift of nominal value. Both parties could be charged with corruption if a DA had an axe to grind with one or the other of you.

USPS mail carriers earn on average over $50-65K plus relatively generous benefits https://about.usps.com/careers/working-usps/benefits.htm and almost assured job security

They are better paid that your average assistant professor in our colleges, or teh pilots flying you around in the smaller commuter airlines...

Llewellyn
11-27-2017, 01:38 AM
Tipping the postman - YGBSM :eek:

biker72
11-27-2017, 06:28 AM
I seem to have a different postman every month. I never know when to expect the mail. No tips from me.

Gsinill
11-27-2017, 06:49 AM
...tipping the mailman long ago and continue to leave a card and some cash.

This.
We always tip USPS, FedEx, UPS and the guy who picks up our garbage.

AngryScientist
11-27-2017, 06:58 AM
i'm kind of surprised to hear how many of you folks seem to know who your postman even is. i'm literally never home when my mail gets delivered. if i have a regular postman, i wouldnt be able to pick them out of a line-up.

Geeheeb
11-27-2017, 07:21 AM
I've had a few excellent mail carriers, but my current one is the worst. Makes you appreciate the good ones, and next time I get a consistent carrier that is good I will let them know!

CNY rider
11-27-2017, 07:37 AM
i'm kind of surprised to hear how many of you folks seem to know who your postman even is. i'm literally never home when my mail gets delivered. if i have a regular postman, i wouldnt be able to pick them out of a line-up.

Rural postmen are great.
They function like a mini-post office.
We know our guy Brian well, and he does a great job. I tip him because he does a great job for us, and I don't really care what his annual earnings are.

fignon's barber
11-27-2017, 07:42 AM
My mother gives her carrier a loaf of home made pumpkin bread every year, who knows if they actually eat it. If they don't they're missing out as she's got full on baking skills.

I'll take it. PM sent.:)

Caballero
11-27-2017, 08:50 AM
Can’t believe you guys in the us need to tip someone to do there job correctly. It truly baffles me.
I guess I’ve lived in japan too long, where people do things right out of pride.

Mzilliox
11-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Can’t believe you guys in the us need to tip someone to do there job correctly. It truly baffles me.
I guess I’ve lived in japan too long, where people do things right out of pride.

After visiting and coming back to the US i have found this amazing. I got great service in Japan, no tips, just smiles, thank yous, and like you say, heaps of pride in a job well done. I did tip one really good server at a nice restaurant, she chased me out to tell me i had overpaid! Coming back and experiencing the attitudes of folks supposedly working for tips here was shocking. And we love to make excuses for this too.

that being said, i have a box on a street, i never interact with the mailman.

Jaybee
11-27-2017, 10:17 AM

I don't tip my mailwoman to get her to do her job right, I do it because I like to say thank you for being a part of our community. For the same reason, the local liquor store guy who has never steered me wrong, the mechanic down the street and my kids' preschool teacher will all be getting a little something extra in their stockings. They are an important part of my life, I appreciate what they do, and it never hurts to send a little good will out into the world.

FWIW, lots of people I know here in the USA including some who work in the service industry do their jobs right because they are professionals.

merlinmurph
11-27-2017, 11:48 AM

Took the words out of my mouth - no idea who delivers our mail.

However, I'm at my dad's place right now in Savannah GA, and the postman leaves a treat for the dog every once in awhile. I'm sure he gets a tip.

zmudshark
11-27-2017, 12:04 PM
I don't tip my mailwoman to get her to do her job right, I do it because I like to say thank you for being a part of our community. For the same reason, the local liquor store guy who has never steered me wrong, the mechanic down the street and my kids' preschool teacher will all be getting a little something extra in their stockings. They are an important part of my life, I appreciate what they do, and it never hurts to send a little good will out into the world.

FWIW, lots of people I know here in the USA including some who work in the service industry do their jobs right because they are professionals.

Well said :beer:

Aaron O
11-27-2017, 12:06 PM
Absolutely not...

First...our service is horrendous. God awful. Abysmal. I resent paying for caviar and receiving spam.

Second...I'm already paying, and paying, our post office. Check out their salary/benefits for a job that doesn't really require much training...frankly they should tip me.

Apologies to seasonal/temp guys who don't fit the above statement.

jlwdm
11-27-2017, 02:03 PM
After visiting and coming back to the US i have found this amazing. I got great service in Japan, no tips, just smiles, thank yous, and like you say, heaps of pride in a job well done. I did tip one really good server at a nice restaurant, she chased me out to tell me i had overpaid! Coming back and experiencing the attitudes of folks supposedly working for tips here was shocking. And we love to make excuses for this too.

that being said, i have a box on a street, i never interact with the mailman.

It is different here where most waitstaff in restaurants are paid a lower wage because of the expectation of tips.

My mailman is great and I will give him something but not for him to do a good job. He already does that.

Jeff

jlwdm
11-27-2017, 02:08 PM
I would like to see the mail delivery go to 3 days per week.

Jeff

Kingfisher
11-28-2017, 06:51 AM
Another retired UPS driver....one of the best Christmas gifts received was back in the 70's when York peppermint pattie factory was actually in York PA. They were always generous and at xmas had a HUGE box of peppermint patties for me each year...I'm talking 20 lbs

daker13
11-28-2017, 09:55 AM

Some might say the reason we're used to tipping in the US is, we don't have a functioning public health care system and social services have been cut for decades.

I get that tipping might seem absurd to those in other countries, but you're not tipping someone to make sure they do their job right, the tip is an acknowledgement that they're performing a service for you and you value it. A postal worker is definitely a borderline case, but a waiter, a bike shop employee, a barber, that's something different. (My wife wants to tip waiters 20% even when the service isn't great, and that does bother me.)