PDA

View Full Version : OT: first phone recommendations for kids

sailorboy
11-25-2017, 04:20 PM
So I've got 11 and 13 year-old boys who are clamoring for phones this year. The older one has actually had my hand-me-down iphone 5 for the past year but it is really not keeping up so we're looking at some new phones for Christmas.

Any good suggestions for phones under $400 or so for kids?

AngryScientist
11-25-2017, 04:22 PM
what do you mean when you say the iPhone 5 is not "keeping up"?

rwsaunders
11-25-2017, 05:36 PM
Sean...look for an iPhone 6 or 7 plus. Big screen, older model which should be economical and boys play games...bigger screens are their friends.

Ralph
11-25-2017, 05:53 PM
I would get a I Phone SE for my grandkids. $160 at my provider. Unlocked.

stackie
11-25-2017, 05:53 PM
iPhone 6 is a big DONT buy. The chip attachment to the screen comes loose and the screen gets touch disease. Meaning that it just types randomly, opens apps, etc. Ask me how I know. I believe they fixed with the 6s and 7.

Apple ignores.

My 14 year old daughter just got our old 5 as a hand me down and it works fine for her. But we are not a techie family.

Jon

ultraman6970
11-25-2017, 08:05 PM
The 1st question I think you have to do yourself is if you want your kids stuck online 24/7 or not. That will leave a bunch of stuff off right there.

R3awak3n
11-25-2017, 08:24 PM
iPhone 6 is a big DONT buy. The chip attachment to the screen comes loose and the screen gets touch disease. Meaning that it just types randomly, opens apps, etc. Ask me how I know. I believe they fixed with the 6s and 7.

Apple ignores.

My 14 year old daughter just got our old 5 as a hand me down and it works fine for her. But we are not a techie family.

Jon

I had a 6 for 3 years and this did not happen.

reason not to get a 6 is because the new update screws things up... read SLOW. This will most likely be the last year the 6 is supported too.

I say either 6s or 7. They are kids I know they want to play games so I say a 7 but its not $400. SOOOOO..

I would get a Google Nexus 6P. You can get one for $250-$300 used and its a great phone.

sailorboy
11-26-2017, 03:38 AM
what do you mean when you say the iPhone 5 is not "keeping up"?

mostly that its so old now I think it is having issues. Or so my son says...I'm not so naive as to not consider this may be part of his ploy to get a new phone :no:

I agree about the iphone SE being a decent option since we are used to apple products. The older kid insists that the google pixel 2 is his preference, but yea, its $650.

Hadn't heard about the 6 screen issue, so will have to look into that. I also have concerns that it won't be supported much longer; so why are they selling them new? Drives me crazy.