PDA

View Full Version : Bicycle Blue Book?

Cornfed
11-25-2017, 12:01 PM
Been seeing listings from this vendor around the area for a while now and always wondered about their business model. This listing made me wonder even more ...

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bid/d/2005-indy-fab-crown-jewel/6394697765.html

$40 just to look at it? And if that weren't enough, they're asking $300+ more for an in-person sale than on eBay ...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2005-Independent-Fabrication-Crown-Jewel-Special-Edition-Size-63-cm-INV-18622/272951760796?hash=item3f8d31579c:i:272951760796

Stranger and stranger ...

oliver1850
11-25-2017, 01:03 PM
Have wondered about them too. They've had some interesting bikes, but overpriced. Wondered if they have anything to do with website of same name, where they estimate prices of used bikes. There the values are often very low.

BRad704
11-25-2017, 02:03 PM
I bought a cx bike from their eBay store and the box had the BBB website logo on it. In pretty sure they are related, but I've never seen the CL ads before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roguedog
11-25-2017, 03:02 PM
I've been looking for a cheap, comfy, bike for my brother in the usual places. Noticed that an ad s Saw on Cl looked remarkably simliar to one I saw on Ebay as well. Went to the website and boom, there was the same bike.

I made an offer off their website. It was cheap enough that it wouldn't have made me cry if it fell thru.

Just went yesterday to go pick up and bike was about as described. Tootled around the block and confirmed things were working.

They are opening up a retail location in an industrial part of San Jose in a couple week. Their model is going to be very similar to Pro's Closet .. Trade ins and used bike resales. I kinda dig that if they're on the up and up and they can make it work.

So.. my transaction was actually pretty good. Got a good deal since I can pick up. They're real place and look forward to see how they evolve.

ultraman6970
11-25-2017, 05:01 PM
NObody in their sane judgement will pay 40 bucks to just see that bicycle.

What is wrong with people lately? nobody can be just straight honest that they have to try to skweeezzeee every cent out of people because their shop maybe having hard times?

dddd
11-25-2017, 09:19 PM
I believe that this company is playing games with valuations so as to buy low and sell high. I see no reason to expect objectivity.

They also sell bike advertising on their site, which begs the question of their overall tie-in to the industry. I've always found their valuations to run a bit low.