PDA

View Full Version : hrm - black friday in UK?

vqdriver
11-24-2017, 04:12 PM
i always thought black friday was simply the friday after thanksgiving being a big shopping holiday due to the fact that so many people are off work and it kicks off the christmas shopping season. why would any other country celebrate a 'black friday' sale without (our) thanksgiving?

i ask, because i see pbk and ribble having black friday sales as well.

R3awak3n
11-24-2017, 04:16 PM
because black friday is all about $$$ and if there is money to be made, does not matter what country you are in. FYI black friday is now all over the Europe as well. Just another way to make $$$

vqdriver
11-24-2017, 04:18 PM
yeah, i figured some etailers would want a piece of the pie. dunno how their local customers would know *** it's all about tho

ceolwulf
11-24-2017, 06:04 PM
It was in Japan too, and here in Canada it's been a big deal for a while.

You guys should start complaining about cultural appropriation :butt:

pdmtong
11-25-2017, 12:29 AM
my brother lives in central London.

people there do not understand the appeal of a pie made from mashed gourd.

rain dogs
11-25-2017, 04:53 AM
The relationship is mostly just a signpost. Stop me if I'm telling you what you already know:

Black Friday is about getting in the 'black'. If you make ~10%profits/growth, you'll see that 'in the red' to 'in the black' transition some 37ish days out from year end 328/365. December has 31 days, plus one week and you have - the fourth weekend of November.

So, companies that were forecasting to come up short of growth numbers, or think they'll had a bad year-end, starting having massive sales to move inventory and increase revenue, at the last minute. The pressure is on to get in the 'black' by the Friday of week 47 - "Black Friday", especially if you have investors wanting returns.

It really doesn't have that much to do with Thanksgiving other than they both share the same approximate place in the Calendar - approx. day 327/328 or week47. Sure, that it's a holiday helps spending, but...

Mark McM
11-27-2017, 10:01 AM
The relationship is mostly just a signpost. Stop me if I'm telling you what you already know:

Black Friday is about getting in the 'black'. If you make ~10%profits/growth, you'll see that 'in the red' to 'in the black' transition some 37ish days out from year end 328/365. December has 31 days, plus one week and you have - the fourth weekend of November.

So, companies that were forecasting to come up short of growth numbers, or think they'll had a bad year-end, starting having massive sales to move inventory and increase revenue, at the last minute. The pressure is on to get in the 'black' by the Friday of week 47 - "Black Friday", especially if you have investors wanting returns.

It really doesn't have that much to do with Thanksgiving other than they both share the same approximate place in the Calendar - approx. day 327/328 or week47. Sure, that it's a holiday helps spending, but...

This is just one of many myths surrounding the name "Black Friday". See:

https://www.snopes.com/holidays/thanksgiving/blackfriday.asp

verticaldoug
11-27-2017, 10:40 AM
It's good the Brits have black friday, otherwise, they'd just go to the pub and get pissed like they do the rest of the year on Fridays.

Mr. Pink
11-27-2017, 11:53 PM
I am in Italy right now, and they have a Black Friday, too. Some stores are pushing it with a Black Week.

Louis
11-28-2017, 12:02 AM
BF in France:

http://www.lefigaro.fr/societes/2017/11/24/20005-20171124ARTFIG00014-black-friday-les-e-commercants-rivalisent-de-promotions.php