PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Suggestion

znfdl
09-21-2006, 02:39 PM
I am thinking about riding cross country next June. The ride will average in excess of 150 miles per day. I will use my Spectrum Ti with Campy Record Components. The hardest decision for me is always what to do about wheels.

The wheels will have to have the following characteristics; dependable, light weight and clinchers. I weight about 165 and hope to be at 155 by next June. No I do not want to enter into a Tubie vs Clincher debate.

Budget would be $1K or less.

Thanks.

fiamme red
09-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Elite PAC Tour?

Easy: have a set of wheels custom built.

znfdl
09-21-2006, 02:48 PM
Yes, I have two friends, one in Seattle and one in Pa trying to talk me into doing the Elite Tour. We are trying to get a group of people to ride together. I am not sure if I can drag my 46 yer old body for close to 170 miles per day for 17 days across the country. Would you like to join the party?

Sandy
09-21-2006, 02:53 PM
A very simple but elegant solution to your question.

Contact ergott or Jeremy from the forum and simply state what you need. They will do the rest.

MUCH more importantly- who will be guarding your fine wine collection when you will be gone? I need to know this, please. A label on each bottle giving an approximate retail value would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

:) So Sober So Slick So Simple So Serotta Sandy :)

davids
09-21-2006, 02:54 PM
I am thinking about riding cross country next June. The ride will average in excess of 150 miles per day. I will use my Spectrum Ti with Campy Record Components. The hardest decision for me is always what to do about wheels.

The wheels will have to have the following characteristics; dependable, light weight and clinchers. I weight about 165 and hope to be at 155 by next June. No I do not want to enter into a Tubie vs Clincher debate.

Thanks.
One more suggestion - Contact Mike Garcia (http://oddsandendos.safeshopper.com/index.htm?1) and repeat to him what you wrote here. Any of these guys - Ergott, Jeremy, or Mike - will make you a set of wheels meeting all your criteria.

znfdl
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
MUCH more importantly- who will be guarding your fine wine collection when you will be gone? I need to know this, please. A label on each bottle giving an approximate retail value would be appreciated. :rolleyes:

My wife will be safeguarding the wine collection and hopefully not drinking too much.

Sandy
09-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Yes, I have two friends, one in Seattle and one in Pa trying to talk me into doing the Elite Tour. We are trying to get a group of people to ride together. I am not sure if I can drag my 46 yer old body for close to 170 miles per day for 17 days across the country. Would you like to join the party?

I want to join the party. I want to join the party. No one ever invites me to a party. One request though- Could we make one small change, please- Could we make it 17 miles per day for 170 days as opposed to your initial plan? :)

Sandy

PS- You will be supplying the food, for free, correct?? :)

BoulderGeek
09-21-2006, 03:27 PM
I'll happily go along if I can be sag-sommelier.

I have an even dozen "tire bouchons." Now that the world is going screw-top. :-(

How does one pack Riedels for such a trip?

fiamme red
09-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes, I have two friends, one in Seattle and one in Pa trying to talk me into doing the Elite Tour. We are trying to get a group of people to ride together. I am not sure if I can drag my 46 yer old body for close to 170 miles per day for 17 days across the country. Would you like to join the party?Thanks. I've thought about doing brevet week in Wisconsin, but nearly 300 km every day, 17 days straight, is far beyond my body's recuperative ability.

zap
09-21-2006, 03:41 PM
Campy Eurus or Zonda

or

custom built

with

New DT Swiss "uber" hubs.

Velocity Aerohead rims.

Wheelsmith db spokes.

djg
09-21-2006, 04:17 PM
The only bike I've ridden all the way cross-country said "Kawasaki" on it, so take this with a grain of salt. I'd just talk to a builder (folks have suggested a couple) about a good, solid, and easily repaired set of wheels, and I'd be open to adding a few grams to do it--maybe err on the side of slightly over-built? I gather this is a supported ride (maybe that's wrong), but there's still the question how much backup equipment you can carry, or have carried for you. The campy eurus wheels mentioned below are, IMO, fine clincher wheels and not at all fragile, but you might be out of luck if you need to replace a couple of spokes or--shudder--a rim somewhere in rural Kansas. I don't think that switching to Mavic pre-builts solves that problem.

Too Tall
09-21-2006, 04:27 PM
You know the dealio Zin. They must be built such that you can repair them using whatever Lon has in his trailer or you are stuck using a 40 spoke ox cart "spare" ;)

I'd vote for a classic shallow box rim 32 drill 3X and two cross fr. using low flange hubs. DT is nice fer sher.

Extra brownie points if you go with Shimano because I'm thinking Mr. Lon won't have Campag cassettes so even better compatiblity with the spares on hand.

72gmc
09-21-2006, 04:27 PM
2 of 'em. 40 spokes each. on a tandem. with too tall on the back. that'll make those miles fly by.

very ambitious ride you're planning. i am impressed and inspired.

znfdl
09-21-2006, 05:54 PM
You know the dealio Zin. They must be built such that you can repair them using whatever Lon has in his trailer or you are stuck using a 40 spoke ox cart "spare" ;)

I'd vote for a classic shallow box rim 32 drill 3X and two cross fr. using low flange hubs. DT is nice fer sher.

Extra brownie points if you go with Shimano because I'm thinking Mr. Lon won't have Campag cassettes so even better compatiblity with the spares on hand.

Can I swap you Dura Space Stuff for my Crapagnolo for the Tour? :D

Maybe I should do this on a fixed gear and cut down on all maintenance :banana:

Sandy
09-21-2006, 06:50 PM
Yeah. A fixed gear would work for you. Say a 53/15. As strong as you are, it won't really matter. :rolleyes:

:) So Super Strong So Super Speedy So Super Silly So Super Serotta Sandy :)

Orin
09-21-2006, 06:57 PM

Thanks.

If it were me, I'd be riding Campy Chorus hubs and Mavic Open Pro, 32 hole, 3-cross. 14/15 butted spokes. Same as I ride on any long distance event. If night riding is involved, I'd switch the front out for a Schmidt SON with Open Pro rim, E6 lamp. If I were getting new wheels, I'd consider Velocity Aerohead rims instead.

Should be way less than $1k. Save the expensive fancy wheels for fast local rides :)

Orin.

ergott
09-21-2006, 07:52 PM
IRD Cadence Aero (30mm)
White Industries H1 hubs
Sapim Race spokes
24/28 or 28/28 spokes
brass nipples

H1 hubs require no special tools. Even if a ride is supported, the support crew might not have special tools neede for some hubs. The H1's only need a couple of hex keys. They have excellent bearings and are light to boot.

The rims are a bit aero and a bit light. They are a good compromise between the two.

Brass nipples, just in case.

The spokes can vary. Sapim, DT and Wheelsmith are all good stuff so long as you get the correct gauge for the application.

shinomaster
09-22-2006, 12:38 AM
Campy Neutrons or Hyperon clinchers.

Too Tall
09-22-2006, 06:46 AM
Sure you can use one of my wheesets.
Wrap your mind around the fact that he will ride 200'ish miles / day so the wheelset needs to be confortable riding using 23mm tyres.
FWIIW - Shock and horrors, ME ride the back of a tandem. Oh no Mr. Bill.

saab2000
09-22-2006, 07:10 AM
This is one case where I am not sure I can recommend the Neutrons. They are terrific wheels but having a broken spoke WILL cause trouble and the local bike shop in the tiny towns in Nebraska and Missouri or Oklahoma or whereever for that matter are not likely to have a large selection of Campagnolo specific spokes on hand.

Go with something that can be easily dealt with. This means normal spokes where you can carry a couple spares of each length.

Listen to Ergott about the hubs. I was going to recommend the DT Swiss hubs, but the White Industries might be more appropriate.

Too Tall
09-22-2006, 08:39 AM
Hold the phone Saabbro. White indust. hubs are cool however Hugi pull apart just as easily if not more so. Very field servicable, we use them on our tandem.

saab2000
09-22-2006, 08:43 AM
Hold the phone Saabbro. White indust. hubs are cool however Hugi pull apart just as easily if not more so. Very field servicable, we use them on our tandem.

I did not know that.... (in the voice of Ed McMahon)

Plus, I like that they are designed to help deal with the offset issues on modern wheels.

Bradford
09-22-2006, 08:47 AM
a broken spoke WILL cause trouble and the local bike shop in the tiny towns in Nebraska and Missouri or Oklahoma or whereever for that matter are not likely to have a large selection of Campagnolo specific spokes on hand.

As I have learned on a few tours, the local bike shop could be 100 miles away when something breaks.

If you can't fix it on the side of the road, you shouldn't have it on a tour.

Stay away from pre-builts, have 2-3 extra of each size spoke with you on the bike, and have a fiber spoke or two just in case.

PaulE
09-22-2006, 10:05 AM
The freehub body on the White is titanium, which shouldn't get gouged by the cogs. White also makes specific rear hubs for Campag and Shimano to help with offset. I think the Hugi freehub is aluminum. Plus, you can get the White hubs in nice shiny polished aluminum.

Dude
09-22-2006, 09:17 PM
Two things...
1. I just built up a set of the DT touring rims TK7.1 and they are a fine, fine rim. One of the nicest touring rims I have seen. 36H 3x fr and rear. This guy is doing loaded touring so they may be a bit overkill but man did they build up just right. Will the trip be supported or not?

2. I just built up a set of wheels for me personally that are ird cadence rim/white ind H1's/sapim Cx-ray. 32H 2x fr, 3x rear. The whole wheelset came to 1430ish and they are as bombproof as any wheel out there. Very pleased with both the rim and they hubs so far. I'll keep you posted if anything pops up.

znfdl
09-23-2006, 08:20 AM
Two things...
1. I just built up a set of the DT touring rims TK7.1 and they are a fine, fine rim. One of the nicest touring rims I have seen. 36H 3x fr and rear. This guy is doing loaded touring so they may be a bit overkill but man did they build up just right. Will the trip be supported or not?

2. I just built up a set of wheels for me personally that are ird cadence rim/white ind H1's/sapim Cx-ray. 32H 2x fr, 3x rear. The whole wheelset came to 1430ish and they are as bombproof as any wheel out there. Very pleased with both the rim and they hubs so far. I'll keep you posted if anything pops up.

Hey Dude:

Thanks. I talked to Ergott and he suggested the new IRD Cadnce Aero 30mm rims with White Industry and Sapim Race spokes. Ergott is building me a set fixie wheels with the Aero rims. I would worry that the cadence might be too light. This will be a supported tour. I would probably do 28 front and rear.

Description:
A deep aerodynamic made from NIOBIUM-enhanced super alloy.

Nb-Al T10 super alloy
No eyelets

CNC-machined
braking sidewalls

19mm wide w/30mm deep aero section

ERD 576

465 grams

dekindy
09-23-2006, 08:56 AM
http://www.oddsandendos.com/

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp

http://speeddream.com/

I have been accumulating wheel builder information for future reference and these are the ones that come up the most.

Frustration
09-23-2006, 03:33 PM
150 steady miles a day and you want a benefit from the wheels?

SHED your weigh concern as acceleration isn't your deal anyway. Buy something Aero.

Get a used gently set of Zipp 404 clinchers...

SoCalSteve
09-23-2006, 03:37 PM
http://www.oddsandendos.com/

http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/Wheels.asp

http://speeddream.com/

I have been accumulating wheel builder information for future reference and these are the ones that come up the most.

Add this to your list:

http://ergottwheels.com/

He is a member of this Forum, a great guy and builds a mean set of wheels to boot!

Give him a try when you are ready. You will be pleasently surprised.

Steve