PDA

View Full Version : Transavia trashed my S&S case... Advice?

bitt3n
11-24-2017, 07:23 AM
On a recent flight from Amsterdam to Sophia, Transavia damaged my S&S case.

https://i.imgur.com/ZrriYxV.jpg?1
https://i.imgur.com/y5JbyDN.jpg?1

The hinge is badly mauled and sufficiently bent that the case can't be locked closed. Transavia helpfully wrapped it in a a bit of packing tape and called it a day. I don't think anything fell out but I'm not 100% sure yet.

They insist on my providing a receipt for the case in order to reimburse me for it. I bought the case with a frame over a year ago (used) and have no receipt.

My position is that they ought to be replacing it with a new or used case of equivalent value regardless of whether I have a receipt. Is this unreasonable?

Any advice about what to do other than complain on their twitter? I suspect they're planning to reimburse me little or nothing for it. It's also going to be interesting continuing my travels with this thing.

shovelhd
11-24-2017, 07:47 AM
Tell them you bought it with a frame, which was not damaged. Give them a copy of the receipt for what you bought, and a quote for the case only. Make it clear that you are requesting reparations for the case only. They really trashed it, so they should pay you something. Good luck. Gives me the heebie jeebies considering I travel with a Ritchey soft case.

Bentley
11-24-2017, 07:47 AM
I would contact the person/shop you purchased the frame case from and explain your situation, I’m sure they will help you out.

Best

Ray

jambee
11-24-2017, 08:28 AM
First of all, you are in Europe and are covered by the EU passenger rights.

Second: that's BS. Go to the website of the vendor who made the luggage, print out the cost of a new one, send this to the airline. How much you payed makes no difference, the only point of interest is how much is a replacement cost.

Note that this is a cheap airline so of course they want to pay as little as possible.

AngryScientist
11-24-2017, 08:36 AM
ugh, that's hard to look at. that case is obviously destroyed, and they are made pretty robustly.

to start off with, get someplace safe and carefully inventory what you find inside. clearly the case was mangled and the frame inside probably fell out, at least partially. i doubt whoever re-packed took caution to get everything in right. you're almost certainly going to find some amount of damage to your frame or wheels.

then get to a bike shop and have them put a value on the damage.

good luck, this is a nightmare for you, and your immediate concern of travelling with that badly damaged case now.

i suggest getting a few ratchet straps to hold it together. i use one on my case every time i travel with it.

bitt3n
11-24-2017, 08:37 AM
Tell them you bought it with a frame, which was not damaged. Give them a copy of the receipt for what you bought, and a quote for the case only. Make it clear that you are requesting reparations for the case only. They really trashed it, so they should pay you something. Good luck. Gives me the heebie jeebies considering I travel with a Ritchey soft case.

I've already made it clear to those clowns that I only want reimbursement for the case, but they're unwilling to accept the bank statement because it's for the total cost of the case plus frame. I purchased from a private party so I have no itemized receipt.

The cost of the case is easy to verify, given that it can be purchased from many different stores. Clearly they're trying to weasel out of paying me by virtue of an irrelevance. Not sure what to do about it. Manufacture a fake receipt? Seems ridiculous, but otherwise I'm out almost $500 after shipping.

to start off with, get someplace safe and carefully inventory what you find inside. clearly the case was mangled and the frame inside probably fell out, at least partially. i doubt whoever re-packed took caution to get everything in right. you're almost certainly going to find some amount of damage to your frame or wheels.

Everything inside looks OK. I had that web/velcro retainer that comes with the case holding things in place so I don't think the frame or wheels actually fell out. I have some smaller parts that could have fit through the gap between the sides of the case but so far I haven't found anything missing.

AngryScientist
11-24-2017, 08:42 AM
that's ridiculous logic on the airlines part.

how many people still have receipts for any of their luggage. they destroyed your case, is their position that since you dont have an original receipt, it has zero value? if so - that's a laughable defense.

bitt3n
11-24-2017, 09:44 AM
that's ridiculous logic on the airlines part.

how many people still have receipts for any of their luggage. they destroyed your case, is their position that since you dont have an original receipt, it has zero value? if so - that's a laughable defense.

This is straight from their email to me. Basically "without a receipt, we'll pay you what we feel like based on present phase of the moon and wind conditions":

The matter is that the compensation is based on the Montreal Convention and our General Terms and Conditions. This means that we pay your claim based on the write off-value. A write off-value can only be calculated based on the price and the date in the original proof of purchase (credit card statement or receipt). Since I cannot see the precise price paid for the box I will not be able to determine the true value of the box. Unfortunately I cannot take into consideration the link with the price sent since we are not liable for the a new purchased suitcase, but the damaged one.

Would you fail to provide the requested type of the payment proof I will be able to offer you only a partial refund as per procedure.

bikinchris
11-24-2017, 10:15 AM
When Delta tore up my S&S case, they had me deliver the case to them and they repaired it and sent the new looking case back to me.

That's the standard.

In your case, I would just print out a price for a new case including freight and send it to them. Failing that, I would go to a local bike shop and have them write out a receipt with the understanding that when the airline pays up, they can order it for you.

shovelhd
11-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Are you trying to do all this through email? If so, get on the phone and push. Hard.

joosttx
11-24-2017, 11:22 AM
I had the same case. It is a pretty cheaply constructed case. When I had a SS bike it took about 3 trips before mine was damaged to a point that is would not close properly. Not that the airline is not at fault but I find it hard to blame the airline solely considering the quality of that case. Kinda like blaming a walmart bike for breaking when you take it down a UCI downhill course (maybe not as black and white but you get my point)

weisan
11-24-2017, 01:28 PM
Bull$hit

Give them hell.

weisan
11-24-2017, 01:31 PM
I had the same case. It is a pretty cheaply constructed case. When I had a SS bike it took about 3 trips before mine was damaged to a point that is would not close properly. Not that the airline is not at fault but I find it hard to blame the airline solely considering the quality of that case. Kinda like blaming a walmart bike for breaking when you take it down a UCI downhill course (maybe not as black and white but you get my point)

I agree to a certain extent.
Not the best construction design and material.

makoti
11-24-2017, 02:18 PM

No, it's nothing like that. The case is made to sustain normal handling. That didn't happen due to normal anything. My case is dinged up, too, but that one looks like it was dropped off the back of a plane or elevated belt loader.

joosttx
11-24-2017, 02:36 PM
No, it's nothing like that. The case is made to sustain normal handling. That didn't happen due to normal anything. My case is dinged up, too, but that one looks like it was dropped off the back of a plane or elevated belt loader.

I think it is something like that. I remember thinking when I got mine that there was no way that case would hold up.this damage is pretty bad. I don’t think they are designed for normal wear and tear.

bitt3n
11-24-2017, 02:59 PM
i suggest getting a few ratchet straps to hold it together. i use one on my case every time i travel with it.

That's a good idea. Now I just need to figure out how to say "ratchet strap" in Bulgarian. (I'm in Sofia.) Unfortunately I'm probably not going to be here long enough to get a new case shipped from the overseas.

When Delta tore up my S&S case, they had me deliver the case to them and they repaired it and sent the new looking case back to me.

That's the standard.

In your case, I would just print out a price for a new case including freight and send it to them. Failing that, I would go to a local bike shop and have them write out a receipt with the understanding that when the airline pays up, they can order it for you.

I've already sent Transavia a link to the new case but they claim that's not good enough and they want a receipt for what I originally paid, as if that is somehow relevant to the current cost of the case.

Are you trying to do all this through email? If so, get on the phone and push. Hard.

I tweeted at them and immediately got the attention of whoever runs their twitter, who asked me to contact them directly, so hopefully that person will be more useful when business opens tomorrow.

ultraman6970
11-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Companies dont want any cr@p going in in social media lately, cheaper for them to get you a new one than get bad reputation, what sucks is that probably the suckers that busted your stuff arent even their employees but airport people.

Iti s dumb to ask for receipts, specially for something that is maybe 5 years old, wont ask who keeps everything because sure at least 10 will say "I DO!!!"

:)

adampaiva
11-26-2017, 10:30 AM
JetBlue roughed up my S&s case pretty bad, most notably breaking the wheels. I reported it immediately (at the airport) then emailed in an invoice to replace it with a new S&s case and they paid out the retail minus a year depreciation. I should have said it was new.

Bob Ross
11-26-2017, 02:27 PM
They insist on my providing a receipt for the case in order to reimburse me for it. I bought the case with a frame over a year ago (used) and have no receipt.

I feel yer pain: American Airlines did the same thing to two of our S&S Cases on two separate trips (!!). On one occasion only the case was destroyed; on the other the bike frame and one wheel sustained some damage as well.

AA offered to repair the S&S case at no charge the first time. Miraculously, they were able to do so, though I can't for the life of me figure out how since the hinge and valance and three out of four sides all looked like a gorilla had wailed on them with a sledgehammer.

The second time the damage occurred on the outbound leg, so since we needed a working case to return home I showed them several weblinks to brand new S&S Cases in lieu of a receipt, and they authorized our buying a new replacement case and having it expedited to our destination.

My advice: Hound the airline relentlessly until you get properly reimbursed...but be prepared to A) substantiate any claims with either original receipts or unequivocal verification of current retail prices; and B) wait a really long time for full remuneration.

Good luck.