PDA

View Full Version : Automated Coaching - It's Here (for runners)

MattTuck
11-21-2017, 08:44 AM
A friend just told me about Train as One (https://www.trainasone.com/), an online running "coach" that uses algorithms and adjusts future workouts automatically based on what you've done in the past.

Not endorsing it here, just noting that the tech sounds pretty interesting. Of course, no way to know what algorithms they are using, or if it is any better in outcomes than following a structured training plan on your own, or using a human coach.

coffeecake
11-21-2017, 11:01 AM
Thanks for posting about this. I just signed up.

I ran for 8 years of my life through graduating high school and am getting back into it several years later. I have no idea how to train so hopefully this helps.

Because I'm not super serious, I just chose the free plan (you get what you pay for so we'll see).

rockdude
11-22-2017, 08:41 AM
Automated training might be good for general fitness but if you are trying to maximize your performance with the amount of time you have it will never be the best option. Differences in Humans physiology, gender, age, life stressors, past fitness, mental dedication, etc...... makes it impossible to get peak performance with a automated system. Hell, a plan that works well for a person one year typically doesn't work the next year. I played with the idea about 5 years ago using the science we have and it just didn't make sense. With this said a plan with a proper build will be better than no plan but it will never replace a talented human coach.

MattTuck
11-22-2017, 11:58 PM
In general, I agree with you as it relates to current offerings.

But, this site is a taste of what is possible in the future. Huge datasets, A/B testing at scale, machine learning, etc. Large populations (and the requisite analytics) could unlock options that are beyond what most human coaches could get their head around.

Even in this world, human coaches may still be an integral part, either on the motivation/discipline elements, or to help educate the rider on strategy, approach to the season, and keeping on track, etc. Being accountable to an adaptive algorithm may not actually be that effective, or meaningful. This may be additive to an existing human coach.