PDA

View Full Version : Help my friend

beungood
09-20-2006, 10:35 PM
My friend is looking at an entry level bike and has found 2 that he likes. He has not ridden before and is using it as a training tool to lose weight.

One is a new '06 52Cm Specialized Roubaix Elite with triple chain ring and alex rims. 105 brifters,FSA Gossamer triple chain rings. They are asking around 1700. Recently said they would go to 1400. Nice plush ride even though it was not set up for me.

The second is a 2005 51cm Lemond Croix de fer with Bontrager triple, Ultegra r. derailuer,front 105,and Bontrager racelight aero rims. ridden for the summer and looks pristine. Brakes take a long pull to work but otherwise rode nice(I thought it rode better than the Roubaix. ) Has look pedals. My buddy liked it other thasn the brakes taking a long time actuating.

Girl is selling it for her BF and wants $850.

Any thoughts out there on suitability as a first bike. Durability on the Carbon frame.

Needs Help
09-20-2006, 10:46 PM
For $1400-$1700, you can buy a used Serotta.

My buddy liked it other thasn the brakes taking a long time actuating.
That can be fixed for around $50.

inGobwetrust
09-20-2006, 11:41 PM
Tell us more about your friend. How tall, how heavy, flexibility, fitness, etc.

beungood
09-21-2006, 01:26 PM
He is back from Iraq and had put on some 30-40lbs. He is around 5'6 and 190lbs or so. He is comfortable around 160. he would like to be 150 or so. His flexibility is not all great but has been ok in the past. He is out of shape but has trained alot with me in the past. He had an ankle injury a few years ago while on Active duty and had to have it pinned back together and running gives him alot of problems hence the switch to cycling.

We were thinking that the Steel Lemond might be durable while he relearns bike handling and gets his legs and fitness back and also if he crashes.... He said he would go for the Roubaix if they went down to a grand . I don't know if the LBS will go that far down.

The Lemond was bought as a leftover at the biginng of the summer by grad students and they just need money . The bike is immaculate and has nice paintjob. I think the girl is fairly firm on the Lemond but might be able to be bargained with.

Tell us more about your friend. How tall, how heavy, flexibility, fitness, etc.

beungood
09-23-2006, 04:39 PM
My friend made his mind up and went with the Lemond CdF. He is rigging it up and gearing up to ride it on Monday. He paid $850.00.