PDA

View Full Version : 15 most annoying habits shown by cyclists

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2017, 12:21 PM
Nice story in Cycling Weekly . . .

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/latest-news/15-most-annoying-habits-shown-by-cyclists-233663

Still trying to decide which one annoys me the most! :eek: :p

BBD

cachagua
11-20-2017, 01:00 PM
I was all set to take that seriously. Joke's on me, I guess.

fa63
11-21-2017, 06:14 AM
For me, it would have to be No. 3 - Rampant pothole pointer, followed closely by No. 7 - Cheery Fit Person; we have one in our group, hope you don't read this forum, Greg! :)

KJMUNC
11-21-2017, 06:58 AM
The lazy sprinter for sure.....have a guy like this on our rides and its comical how predictable he is.

weisan
11-21-2017, 08:24 AM
I am part of a group that consists of riders of various ages and abilities. Over the years, I have seen riders come and go. Sometimes, someone would get ticked off by something and just leave and disappear. Most of time, from my observations, they are for very petty reasons.

I have a working theory.

If everyone can just "shut up and ride your bike", things would resolve themselves, we can avoid a lot of misunderstandings and get along better.

BRad704
11-21-2017, 08:30 AM
I'll take too many pothole warnings over too few anyway. Nothing unnerves me more than drilling it in a paceline only up have the leader miss a hole by inches and let everyone else nail it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zap
11-21-2017, 08:49 AM
I didn't see it listed in the op linked article...................singing.

:eek:

Clearly we need to up the pace some.

:banana:

jemoryl
11-21-2017, 09:41 AM
My nose runs a lot when I ride - I need snotrockets! But I'm always careful about not having anyone behind. I'm famous for needing fewer bathroom breaks than my companion riders, but I think it all goes out my nose.

johnniecakes
11-21-2017, 09:47 AM
#5, Unless your name is Andy Hampsten just keep it to yourself, If I want advice I will ask

ultraman6970
11-21-2017, 09:49 AM
They forgot one that to me is really important, the sucker that cant get the bicycle steady and straight (and from the look they had been riding like that for the last 50 years), and the couple that uses the whole right line eventhought there is room for both of them if they were riding really close and for the cars that are waiting behind them to pass them. Then you wonder why car drivers hate us.

From the other stuff I'm really not annoyed for any of them but the 2 I mentioned.

Ryun
11-21-2017, 10:42 AM
most of the time, im fine just keeping head down and riding but the one I must confess is the dirty noisy creaky bike.
Im all for riding the poo poo out of the bike but if I find myself behind the guy with the chain that hasnt seen a drop of lube in the last decade, I am trying to find another wheel to follow.
It just picks at my brain like water torture when Im suffering.

I dont know if years of group riding have numbed me to the other stuff or lowered my expectations of other riders, but not much of it gets under my skin.

well maybe the guy that cusses and screams at every car he feels gets to close..

shovelhd
11-21-2017, 11:32 AM
They forgot 6a, the guy who hogs the front of an established paceline, disrupting everyone else.

Drmojo
11-21-2017, 11:41 AM
I am part of a group that consists of riders of various ages and abilities. Over the years, I have seen riders come and go. Sometimes, someone would get ticked off by something and just leave and disappear. Most of time, from my observations, they are for very petty reasons.

I have a working theory.

If everyone can just "shut up and ride your bike", things would resolve themselves, we can avoid a lot of misunderstandings and get along better.

You are right again---Shut up and ride is my mantra

bikeridah
11-21-2017, 12:22 PM
...the couple that uses the whole right line even though there is room for both of them if they were riding really close and for the cars that are waiting behind them to pass them. Then you wonder why car drivers hate us.

This for me is by far and away #1, both while on the bike or driving. More often than not, 2 guys having a convo while cruising at 12-15 mph without any regard for cars or other riders who want to pass.

ultraman6970
11-21-2017, 12:44 PM
Remember that lady that was using a whole line while riding in a interstate?? suing and stuff?? anybody remember that Einstein??

THe other picture is a group around NH or boooooston area, no room and the team or group was taking the whole line...

That you are in a bike doesnt entitle you to use the whole line, yes I can understand what the traffic laws says but that doesnt mean to act irrationally and take the whole line.

I do not ride in groups in the area because or are way too fast for me , yes i suck, or because their riding is so uncomprehensible chaotic that you risk an accident or a car hitting you because they usually take the whole line or like 10 feet at your side... then you wonder. At that point is better just let them go. TBH im ok with wheel suckers :)

BRad704
11-21-2017, 12:56 PM
Where are you all riding that doesn't allow a cyclist the whole lane? "take the whole lane" is exactly what is preached to us around here (Memphis, TN) and we even have all the signage and arrows on the pavement to indicate that cyclist have that right.

Gummee
11-21-2017, 01:00 PM
You are right again---Shut up and ride is my mantra

Shut up and ride fixes LOTS of problems.

Wide vs narrow rim? See above
Wide vs narrow tire? See above
Offended about something? See above
Stressed? See above

etc etc etc

M

zap
11-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Where are you all riding that doesn't allow a cyclist the whole lane? "take the whole lane" is exactly what is preached to us around here (Memphis, TN) and we even have all the signage and arrows on the pavement to indicate that cyclist have that right.

Same in the Cary, NC area.........cyclists may use full lane. All groups do.

There is the odd idiot but still, a refreshing change from the many wannabe murderers in metro D.C. where I rode for 30 years.

BRad704
11-21-2017, 01:40 PM
Same in the Cary, NC area.........cyclists may use full lane. All groups do.

There is the odd idiot but still, a refreshing change from the many wannabe murderers in metro D.C. where I rode for 30 years.

Glad to hear it.

No way am I going to risk the narrow shoulder. That's a great way to invite someone to buzz you too close.

shovelhd
11-21-2017, 02:38 PM
Glad to hear it.

No way am I going to risk the narrow shoulder. That's a great way to invite someone to buzz you too close.

Taking the lane without a damn good reason to is a death wish around here. Good luck and ride safe.

fignon's barber
11-21-2017, 03:14 PM
Most annoying? Accusing someone of having a hidden motor.

BumbleBeeDave
11-21-2017, 03:20 PM
. . . who simply can't hold a straight line. I just warn first time riders with us and stay vigilant if I'm near him. Don't have the heart to yell at him, since he's such a nice guy. :o

BBD

saab2000
11-21-2017, 03:33 PM
Not a fan of riders who don't keep their bikes in working order and we have to stop on rides to fix stuff. The other day someone had a bike with Sram Rival and the front derailleur wouldn't shift but would only rub the big chainring. This rider didn't even know what the front derailleur was. No joke. You can't make this stuff up.

Stopping a group ride for a flat or a real malfunction is one thing. Stopping frequently because one or two regulars on the ride don't know the first thing about bike maintenance or setup or adjustment gets me a bit worked up.

They're also usually the ones with the squeaky chain, who ride around with 6" of frayed cable on the brakes and derailleurs and ride in the 34-tooth chainring and the 11-tooth cog on the back, rubbing the chain and not being aware of it.

Yes, I'm an elitist, snobby roadie and proud of it! :D

Abelicoln
11-21-2017, 04:08 PM
If anyone has any tips on how to stop my nose from running during rides, it would be appreciated. Snotrockets for days!

OtayBW
11-21-2017, 04:09 PM
#16. Excessive talking. I can think of one person that I ride with fairly often who just NEVER SHUTS UP. He's a nice guy, and I realize that that may sound harsh, but there is a limit, you know....

Seramount
11-21-2017, 05:13 PM
For me, it would have to be No. 3 - Rampant pothole pointer...

um, I greatly appreciate riders that point out hazards instead of CALLING them out.

every time I join a group ride, there is at least one Safety Sally (usually many) that insists on providing a continuous, high-volume litany of 'life-threatening' road obstacles.

the endless shrill barking of car back! car up! car back! hole! twig! squirrel! rock! is more than my poor ears can tolerate...

these people may mean well, but I avoid them like the plague.

fa63
11-21-2017, 05:18 PM
um, I greatly appreciate riders that point out hazards instead of CALLING them out.

every time I join a group ride, there is at least one Safety Sally (usually many) that insists on providing a continuous, high-volume litany of 'life-threatening' road obstacles.

the endless shrill barking of car back! car up! car back! hole! twig! squirrel! rock! is more than my poor ears can tolerate...

these people may mean well, but I avoid them like the plague.

I think that is what No. 3 was referring to, the "Safety Sally" as you call it. Usually the pointing is accompanied by some sort of calling out. Either way, I have seen a bad wreck caused by an over-pointer so I am sticking with my choice.

ripvanrando
11-21-2017, 06:19 PM
The ability to whip it out and casually faire le pee pee and not lose contact is almost as annoying as the rider with the engine to actually stop and bridge back like no big deal. Some of us just have small motors