PDA

View Full Version : Decisions, decisions: 650B vs 700C

jambee
11-20-2017, 04:19 AM
I'm curious about the collective brain's opinions here.

I've been thinking about building a new wheel set for my lovely Seven. When I built it (2013), I had Rob design it around 45mm 700C tires. I typically ride it with Compass 44mm tires.

The new wheel set is going to be used for knobby tires since I'm lazy and hate changing tires based on the weather (which tends to be very finicky here in Northern Europe).

My riding mate says "build a 650B wheel set". I'm thinking "what benefits are there?"

I can imagine that with a 650B wheel set i could probably fit a 2.1 inch tire. Is that needed? Probably could be more tracktion and volume than the 42mm knobby I was thinking about.

So, collective mind, what are the opinions here? Other benefits to a large volume 650B wheel set? Can I expect the ride quality to dramatically change with such wheels? Other benefits that I am not thinking about?

weisan
11-20-2017, 04:43 AM
Jam pal, you probably meant for this to be in the discussion section.

I say try out the 650b. It may alter the way the bike handle in a good way and you may actually like it. You can do it fairly cheaply.
https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=213605

jambee
11-20-2017, 06:56 AM
Thanks for pointing this out. The thread is now in the correct location.

Thanks for pointing out the thread.

ColonelJLloyd
11-20-2017, 08:40 AM
Schwalbe Thunder Burt Liteskin 27.5x2.1 are awesome tires. Getting a relatively lightweight wheelset with ~i23 rims and enjoy.

R3awak3n
11-20-2017, 08:45 AM
You know I love the 650b tire format and have for a LONG time. But I also know you already have a 650b set on the elephant so I would keep the 7 all 700c.

But if you go 650b, definitely try the wtb byway if you need some extra grip, but to me they are no good on road but pretty great on gravel.

jambee
11-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@R3awak3n this is exactly my issue. The Seven is the bike that really gets dirty on the weekends whereas the Elephant is more of a Brevet/daily commuter.

So I am looking to add a set of wheels that I could use in the mud and horrible winter ahead (riding in snow) on the Seven. The big question is then, keep the new wheel set at 700c or get more rubber with 650B....

R3awak3n
11-20-2017, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

@R3awak3n this is exactly my issue. The Seven is the bike that really gets dirty on the weekends whereas the Elephant is more of a Brevet/daily commuter.

So I am looking to add a set of wheels that I could use in the mud and horrible winter ahead (riding in snow) on the Seven. The big question is then, keep the new wheel set at 700c or get more rubber with 650B....

isnt the 700c snow tire selection much better than 650b? if you want to have a dedicated snow tire. Maybe 650b has more options now but I remember the 650b under 2.0 option for studded tires was very low.

jambee
11-20-2017, 08:59 AM
Well...I was thinking that more volume and well spaced out knobs should be enough for the snow we get here in Northern Germany...

The idea for more volume is what made me think about 650B....