PDA

View Full Version : do these mythical creatures exist?

old fat man
09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/interbike06/06inter7.jpg

i've seen a few carbon serotta's around but i've yet to see a carbon seven. check out the story on pezcyclingnews.com. they are releasing another version. but i've never heard of anyone buying the first version. anyone out there own a carbon seven or know someone who does? how are they?

BumbleBeeDave
09-20-2006, 09:54 PM
. . . and all I remember thinking when I saw the first photo of one was that it was God-AWFUL Fugly . . . and I'd say that no matter whose name was on the downtube. The headtube looks like the prow of an old battleship . . . :eek:

BBD

swoop
09-20-2006, 10:15 PM
seven has two new models of custom carbon bikes coming this year. the good folks there are tremendously excited by them and what they feel is a well engineered approach to a completely custom carbon bike at two different price points (i had a peek at some shots in the back room of a bike shop a few weeks ago).

i like the seven folks. i hope they find a way to do well in this carbon obsessed market.

but yeah... i think the headtube is all about being able to provide different angles from the same mold.
i like their carbon ti bikes tons and tons.
i've ridden a lot of different bikes. my seven is my personal bike and is as good as it gets (all ti) for me and my crackhead ways. my bike feels like a time vxrs but a little more nervous (the way i like it).

BoulderGeek
09-20-2006, 10:48 PM
That looks remarkably like the new Orbea Orca.

Jason E
09-20-2006, 10:53 PM
It is significantly LESS ugly then V.I, but that is not saying much. Roadkill was less offensive then the first Version.

Frustration
09-20-2006, 10:54 PM
Not out back, or up front or well anywhere else. The closest bike to the new Orca might be the new Kestrel.

Personally I love the new custom Carbon from Serotta, and the standards like Parlee and Calfee. And the Crumpton SL is the nicest bike I have ever been on... (that's a looooong list)

Glad to see Seven in the game...

This is more tame still... Also on Pez.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/interbike06/7triad.jpg

swoop
09-20-2006, 11:06 PM
That looks remarkably like the new Orbea Orca.

i have to disagree-ish .. but i see your point. the new orcas were desgined (partially) by the folks that brought you the audi tt as well as their in (orbea) house engineers (she's really cute in real life). the bike is pretty different looking than the seven and i think as a piece of design.. pretty hot (the o7 orbea orca). check the seat clamp. orbea is using different lay ups and tube sizes for every size bike. i think they nailed it this year.

inGobwetrust
09-20-2006, 11:38 PM
I think it looks a lot like the Specialized Tarmac.

http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2006/bikes/06TarmacExpert_Ger_l.jpg

shinomaster
09-21-2006, 12:23 AM
I bet they are way better bikes.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4096

Kevan
09-21-2006, 04:48 AM
I bet they are way better bikes.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=4096

people selling on eBay photo'd their bikes like that?

Sorry, back to the subject at hand. I thought the Seven looked like a Specialized and Kestrel were busy rubbin' stays together.

BumbleBeeDave
09-21-2006, 06:21 AM
. . . looks a lot nicer, but I stand by my jab. The first version was Frickin' Fugly!

BBD

Too Tall
09-21-2006, 06:29 AM
What would coach say?

William
09-21-2006, 06:31 AM
What would coach say?

Stick and jab?

William ;)

zeroking17
09-21-2006, 09:19 AM
<snip> the new orcas were desgined (partially) by the folks that brought you the audi tt as well as their in (orbea) house engineers <snip>.

This comment about the Audi TT and the Orbea frame both coming from the same design team really piqued my interest. Anyone have more details? I'm really curious about commonalities (if any exist) between the two design projects.

vaxn8r
09-21-2006, 10:28 AM
i have to disagree-ish .. but i see your point. the new orcas were desgined (partially) by the folks that brought you the audi tt as well as their in (orbea) house engineers (she's really cute in real life). the bike is pretty different looking than the seven and i think as a piece of design.. pretty hot (the o7 orbea orca). check the seat clamp. orbea is using different lay ups and tube sizes for every size bike. i think they nailed it this year.
FWIW I understand Craig Calfee's CF repair business is really thriving. Their business is largely fueled by repair of Orbea. Interesting. Any others hear about a high rate of Orbea failures?

swoop
09-21-2006, 12:51 PM
FWIW I understand Craig Calfee's CF repair business is really thriving. Their business is largely fueled by repair of Orbea. Interesting. Any others hear about a high rate of Orbea failures?

i was on a team sponsored by orbea for two years. not one of us had a frame break. they even withstood some hella crashes.. sprinty ones where the bike flies 20' straight up in the air... so i would have to say that i totally disagree with this assessment. 2 years.. 20 something bikes and not one single frame issue int he lot.

as for the audi tt bit... i'm sure that will come out soon enough.. but it's supposed to be on the down low.... so kind of sit on that one till after interbike please. i don't wanna get anyone in hot water. cool?

old fat man
09-21-2006, 02:43 PM
the pez article is gone now...

swoop
09-21-2006, 03:05 PM
the pez article is gone now...

they weren't supposed to make those photos public yet (me thinks). seven was waiting for interbike. right now this is the only place on the web you can see them. i'm sure someone got a spanking (all speculation on my part)

itsalldark
09-21-2006, 03:57 PM
No, the pictures are out there. My LBS, Alberto's is a Seven and Serotta dealer. They had pictures of all the new Seven carbon frames three or four weeks ago. I have a custon IMX cross frame from seven that is fantastic. The shop could not tell me exactly when those new carbon frames would be on there floor--the salesperson I spoke with thought early 07.

JohnS
09-21-2006, 04:04 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that bikes with curved toptubes look even worse than slopers? :confused:

Frustration
09-21-2006, 04:52 PM
they weren't supposed to make those photos public yet (me thinks). seven was waiting for interbike. right now this is the only place on the web you can see them. i'm sure someone got a spanking (all speculation on my part)

There was no problem with making the photo's public... The story just rolloed down off the main stories into the "tech" section.