PDA

View Full Version : Fall/winter tights or 3/4 tights that don't bunch behind knee?

simplemind
11-19-2017, 03:48 PM
Have a pair of Nano Flex 2 knickers that I like to wear in 45-55* temps, however they bunch up behind the knee when flexed. IE, they don't have a very articulated cut in the knee area. After a couple of hours, they get pretty uncomfortable. Anyone found a brand/model that doesn't have this issue?

paredown
11-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Have a pair of Nano Flex 2 knickers that I like to wear in 45-55* temps, however they bunch up behind the knee when flexed. IE, they don't have a very articulated cut in the knee area. After a couple of hours, they get pretty uncomfortable. Anyone found a brand/model that doesn't have this issue?

I've good luck with the Assos with the wind break fabric and stirrups (no pad)--forget the model.

For 3/4 knickers, I'm currently using a Castelli--decent quality and seems to stay in place. I see Sorpasso now, but these are less fancy than that. (I had some fancier Campagnolo branded 3/4--did not seem to have the length in the body to stay in the right place on the leg...)

FlashUNC
11-19-2017, 04:39 PM
Assos.

happycampyer
11-19-2017, 05:33 PM
If you look at the way Assos knickers and tights fall on a hanger, you'll see that they curve around the knees. It's a much more complicated pattern and requires more fabric—and is more complicated—to make, but the fit is way better around the knees than with other knickers/tights. I think winter is when Assos' clothing really stands out.

simplemind
11-19-2017, 07:53 PM
You guys are probably right, re Assos winter gear. I will look into what they have and post a WTB in the classifieds.
Thanks!

rwsaunders
11-19-2017, 08:49 PM
I have long femurs and I've found that the Assos knickers run pretty short in length...like just covering the kneecap. Frustrating when you order them from the outlet and return shipping is a killer, but then Assos man doesn't look too tall and I should have known better. Voler has their black label kit on sale right now and I'm going to try a pair.

simplemind
11-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Someone suggested I should just get a "thermal" bib/short with a well articulated knee warmer. Makes sense on first blush, what do you think, and which ones, Assos again?

rustychisel
11-19-2017, 09:31 PM
I have long femurs and I've found that the Assos knickers run pretty short in length...like just covering the kneecap. Frustrating when you order them from the outlet and return shipping is a killer, but then Assos man doesn't look too tall and I should have known better. Voler has their black label kit on sale right now and I'm going to try a pair.

I have found this also, but other than that the fit is superb.
Also quite like Endura Roubaix 3/4 from the UK. They do bunch a little but it doesn't bother me.

Birddog
11-20-2017, 07:25 AM
I have 2 pair of Assos chamoixless bib tights with stirrups, one Roubaix, one not, both same size. One bunches (I don't remember which) the other does not, go figure. If the temps are high 30's I prefer to wear my DeFeet Kneekers which are really long enough to be called leg warmers. They are merino wool and neither bunch nor fall down. I have some old heavy Descents tights that I prefer over the Assos. IMO, If the stirrup leg is too long, they will bunch. Pick your poison.

b3pkay
11-20-2017, 09:55 AM
Winter tights recommendations for under 30* F?

Pearl Izumi Amfibs?
Think the Rapha Core tights would do the job?
LaPassione has some nice looking offerings and I think I saw a 30% off code yesterday.

rst72
11-20-2017, 10:00 AM
I got a couple pair Gore Oxygen Partial Thermo 3/4 bibs shorts (very warm)...they bunched behind the knee.

I ordered some silicon gripper on line. Few bucks for a tailor to sew in. Bibs are now perfect...stay in place entire time on bike.

simplemind
11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Winter tights recommendations for under 30* F?

Pearl Izumi Amfibs?
Think the Rapha Core tights would do the job?
LaPassione has some nice looking offerings and I think I saw a 30% off code yesterday.

:no: Never under 30* ;)

I got a couple pair Gore Oxygen Partial Thermo 3/4 bibs shorts (very warm)...they bunched behind the knee.

I ordered some silicon gripper on line. Few bucks for a tailor to sew in. Bibs are now perfect...stay in place entire time on bike.

Innovative solution! I was thinking of taking the scissors to my 3/4 tights, but I'm a bit fearful of the results.

kevinvc
11-20-2017, 10:55 AM
I really like my Ibex 3/4 length wool knickers. They fit really well, stay warm when wet, and dry quickly. I've never had any trouble with them bunching behind the knee. The only thing is that I tend to run pretty hot so they're a bit too warm for me if it's above 45 degrees.

shoota
11-20-2017, 11:14 AM
Someone suggested I should just get a "thermal" bib/short with a well articulated knee warmer. Makes sense on first blush, what do you think, and which ones, Assos again?

This what I did and while it works well enough I wouldn't mind having 3/4 or full length thermal bib shorts. I mean when would I ever want to wear thermal bib shorts but not cover my knees? It doesn't make sense.

simplemind
11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
I really like my Ibex 3/4 length wool knickers. They fit really well, stay warm when wet, and dry quickly. I've never had any trouble with them bunching behind the knee. The only thing is that I tend to run pretty hot so they're a bit too warm for me if it's above 45 degrees.

I thought these would be the shizz for winter MTB, but found they are just too warm.

I mean when would I ever want to wear thermal bib shorts but not cover my knees? It doesn't make sense.

Just more versatility. My 3/4 are almost as warm as my full length tights, so if it gets in the 60's, they are a bit too warm. Okay, I am being picky.

I am thinking the ASSOS T.Tiburu-S7 Thermal Bib Shorts with their knee warmers might be the ticket, however my penurious self is reluctant to spend the $300. :no:

shoota
11-20-2017, 11:30 AM
Just more versatility. My 3/4 are almost as warm as my full length tights, so if it gets in the 60's, they are a bit too warm. Okay, I am being picky.

If it's in the 60s you don't want thermal anything on right? I sure don't.

simplemind
11-20-2017, 03:46 PM
If it's in the 60s you don't want thermal anything on right? I sure don't.

Right, the usual temperature pattern... start colder end warmer.

pdmtong
11-20-2017, 04:40 PM
I have found that the amount of thermo-roubiax fabric used in the lower back and front of a 3/4 is more than what is used in the same brand's thermal bib. the 3/4 seem to be cut "higher" so it is warmer if that makes sense.

also, I have found the length of any 3/4 and the amount of thermo-roubaix used in the knee upper calf are to vary across mfg.

on paper the knee + thermal bib may well work for you and your budget and temp range, but it may not be the case depending on how the mfg you choose lays out the fleecy panels

simplemind
11-21-2017, 04:28 PM
I have found that the amount of thermo-roubiax fabric used in the lower back and front of a 3/4 is more than what is used in the same brand's thermal bib. the 3/4 seem to be cut "higher" so it is warmer if that makes sense.

also, I have found the length of any 3/4 and the amount of thermo-roubaix used in the knee upper calf are to vary across mfg.

on paper the knee + thermal bib may well work for you and your budget and temp range, but it may not be the case depending on how the mfg you choose lays out the fleecy panels

Nothing is easy! :rolleyes: