PDA

View Full Version : What prompted you to sell the bike you swore you’d never sell?

FastforaSlowGuy
11-16-2017, 08:42 PM
I occasionally see classified postings of people selling an exceptional bike (maybe it’s custom, or just very customized) that they clearly are reluctant to part with. Usually it’s because it just doesn’t get ridden any more. I’m curious how many folks have looked at a great bike collecting dust and said farewell rather than just ride it more or hang onto it for sentimental reasons. I’ve got a beautiful Seven that I’ve rarely ridden the past year if favor of a somewhat beaten up C50 I picked up, but I can’t imagine selling the Seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R3awak3n
11-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Usually sell because I want to buy something else and I don't want too many rides around. However there is sometimes an extra reason.

My Merckx I sold because was a bit too big.

My JP Weigle I sold because the ST was just a bit too steep and I could not quite go back as much as I would like. This one I really thought I would have never sold.

Spooky was too racey for me, great bike but tiny headtube, tons of drop.

fa63
11-16-2017, 08:47 PM
I sold a Seven Elium SLX, which I thought I would never sell, due to tire clearance. The rear triangle didn't really accommodate anything larger than a real 25mm tire, and at that point I had really fallen in love with the ride of 28mm tires. Granted, I had bought the Seven second hand and it wasn't designed for me (or to accommodate 28mm tires), but it was a beautiful bike and I still regret selling it a little bit.

seanile
11-16-2017, 08:50 PM
I've honestly stopped telling myself that I'll never sell them. Most of the time it's because my ride-style needs have changed, my fit has changed, or I need the money or space that its absence would afford. Shame every time, but I do feel a bit of relief having less "things" at the end of it. The burden i feel of material items usually has a bit more power over me than the desire to keep them. I'm also single, so if a significant other comes in the play, I fear for my entire stable!

jtbadge
11-16-2017, 08:53 PM
They're just bikes. Everything's for sale.

veggieburger
11-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Kids. (Food, diapers, bills, etc)

gomango
11-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Three Kvales went bye bye.

Kids are in college.

Priorities.

saab2000
11-16-2017, 10:01 PM
Almost everything I've sold I never missed, even though I really enjoyed it when I owned it.

Yeah, everything's for sale.

What prompted me to sell the ones I thought I'd never sell was either a real offer or the fact that I almost never rode them.

I sold my first Serotta CIII, which was one of my favorite ever bikes, when someone offered me a good amount of money for it. The fact that it was 1cm too large in height and length made it pretty easy, but still, it was my first real high level custom bike and changed how I thought about them.

I don't actually miss it because others have matched or surpassed its excellence.

John H.
11-16-2017, 10:07 PM
I don't think I have ever said "I will never sell this bike."

Fit changes over time, technology changes...

My current like is disc brakes and DI2- So I have been selling off all of my rim brake and mechanical bikes- Were they all great bikes- sure.
Will I replace with bikes that suit my current needs and desires- yes.

sales guy
11-16-2017, 10:07 PM
Which one? I sold many of them due to my ex-wife. Slowly getting some back.

PaMtbRider
11-16-2017, 10:11 PM
I'm going through this right now. I have a Serotta Ottrott that I haven't been riding, but I am reluctant to part with it. I have a newer carbon bike that actually fits better, and I have spent most of my time on and I really enjoy it.

My wife has another bike on order, and I would like get on a list as well. I could use the space the Ottrott would free up. The money would also help fund the new bikes, but resale value is probably one of the things keeping me from listing it. Used bike market is definitely a buyers market and not a sellers.

Vientomas
11-16-2017, 10:19 PM
Colnago C-40 pre-B stay. Tire clearance, or lack thereof, prompted the sale. Along with the delusion that I could own only one road bike. Oh well, it was a memorable experience. What a sweet ride. Wish I still owned it.

Replaced it with a Calfee Tetra Pro that will take 28's. I have to say I really enjoy the Calfee. It lacks the cache of the Colnago, but it is a soild bike that seems to always have a little more to give.

I'm about to put my Turner 5 Spot on the auction block. Never thought I would sell it, but times change.

mhespenheide
11-16-2017, 10:32 PM
About the only bike I think I'll never sell is an '87 Bianchi Campione d'Italia. It was my first good bike, purchased by working my first (minimum wage $2.85/hour) job in high school. Even my wife, who sometimes gets frustrated by the space that they all take up, says that it's the prettiest of all of the bikes and that I shouldn't sell it.

Everything else is subject to change.

parris
11-16-2017, 10:56 PM
I came close to selling my Club Special when newly married and broke. I had stopped racing and was willing to let it go but the prospective buyer didn't want to go the price I put on it.

Now when I talk about getting rid of a bike my wife says don't sell the Serotta given the history I have on that bike.

I have sold some of my competition shotguns thinking that I had replaced them with something "better". In one case that was a mistake because the gun just fit and balanced right for me.

Lanternrouge
11-16-2017, 11:25 PM
For me, it was fit. I had a custom bike, but with fit evolving and me likely having specified an overly slack seat tube angle, I was really forcing things to get everything where it should have been.

pdmtong
11-16-2017, 11:56 PM
I don't think I have ever said "I will never sell this bike."

Fit changes over time, technology changes...

My current like is disc brakes and DI2- So I have been selling off all of my rim brake and mechanical bikes- Were they all great bikes- sure.
Will I replace with bikes that suit my current needs and desires- yes.

well said john

A lot of folks just like the idea of ownership...whether the bike actually gets ridden or not. so they have a lot of bikes.

the rest of us...well, c'mon...the main idea of having a bike is to ride it and enjoy it.

but, as john mentions, Fit changes over time, technology changes...

I too like the idea of discs and electric (as well as a new 150mm full suspension sled)...at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.

batman1425
11-17-2017, 02:20 AM
Sold an original Spooky Skeletor that I had just built up and had exactly 3 rides on because of bills. Still miss that bike, but we were poor graduate/medical students and an unexpected 2k needed to come from somewhere.

laupsi
11-17-2017, 05:31 AM
With over 30 years of racing/ riding to look back to I’ve had a couple bikes from my early days that I should have never parted with, more related to fit/function over form/aesthetics. Learned my lesson, I have 3 frames I simply will not part with today, plus one more due to its sentimental value. Just so happens they’re all Serotta’s, don’t think this is coincidence.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2017, 06:48 AM
I occasionally see classified postings of people selling an exceptional bike (maybe it’s custom, or just very customized) that they clearly are reluctant to part with. Usually it’s because it just doesn’t get ridden any more. I’m curious how many folks have looked at a great bike collecting dust and said farewell rather than just ride it more or hang onto it for sentimental reasons. I’ve got a beautiful Seven that I’ve rarely ridden the past year if favor of a somewhat beaten up C50 I picked up, but I can’t imagine selling the Seven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really common but I sold a Merckx MXLeader, one of the last 100 Motorola painted ones because I wanted to ride something I sold(not a Merckx dealer)..got a stainless Waterford..nice ride but I should have kept the MXLeader.

Sold that and bought a......MXLeader..after I sold the shop....:)

54ny77
11-17-2017, 07:17 AM
funny thread.

even billy joel got divorced from christy brinkley.

at some point ya just.....[insert reason here].

;)

(that said i do have one special bike which i'll never sell. lots of personal sentiment attached to it. at least the frame. parts, eh those are subject to change one day. i'd just as soon hang the frame on my wall in my office than sell it.)

etu
11-17-2017, 07:26 AM
for me, it usually takes a while to know whether the bike works for me, even years. the thought that "I'd never sell this bike" occurs in the honeymoon phase that can last up to a year. then slowly but surely, I recognize that the bike lacks the spring and/or the zip. it's 95% perfect, but i am looking to keep only 99% and above. this minor difference gets highlighted by inevitable comparison with the standard setters in the stable.

kingpin75s
11-17-2017, 09:35 AM
This place.

Was happy for 10 years on my dream road bike I built from the ground up in 2006, while I focused my energy on the hot mess that is the mountain bike world.

After sorting my off road preferences and a number of years here, I now only want a road bike with a short reach, tall stack, 7cm of setback and a 110mm stem.

Dream bike sold to enable a newb and replacement from this forum in queue.

texbike
11-17-2017, 10:42 AM
Storage space.

Last year at this time I stupidly sold two team issue MX Leaders to a couple of Paceliners. 7 months later I sorted out the storage issues and would have had room for them. I hadn't ridden them very much over the last couple of years, but I still enjoyed them from an aesthetic perspective. About 10 years ago, I sold a Cinelli SC that I'd had for close to 15 years. I still miss having it.

Those are my main 3 (oh, and maybe a Rabobank C40 that was sold to purchase a C50...). :)

Texbike

jtakeda
11-17-2017, 10:44 AM
Fit and finding something else.

Sometimes I’m looking for a frame so uncommon that when I see one on the periphery of my size range I’ll snag it only to find it’s not the most comfortable.

When I find a different frame I’ve lusted after I’ll usually sell off something to get it.

Also recently I’ve been getting into the “if you haven’t used it in 4 months sell it” routine.

John H.
11-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Bigger tires too-

Closest thing to an "I'll never sell" might be a custom Parlee that I rode in 2006- I lusted after it for a time in 2014 (the guy I sold it to still has it)- But even that has passed. The Parlee will only take 23mm tires, and it has a Reynolds fork with limited clearance. The Scott Addict RC disc that I am riding now is a better bike in every way.

well said john

A lot of folks just like the idea of ownership...whether the bike actually gets ridden or not. so they have a lot of bikes.

the rest of us...well, c'mon...the main idea of having a bike is to ride it and enjoy it.

but, as john mentions, Fit changes over time, technology changes...

I too like the idea of discs and electric (as well as a new 150mm full suspension sled)...at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.

Gummee
11-17-2017, 11:49 AM
Sold my PDM Concorde because I needed rent money

Still miss that one.

I'm contemplating selling my Gunnar Crosshairs. ...the only reason I'm thinking about it is to replace it with a bike that has a tapered HT and discs.

Sold my E5 S-Works to a buddy. Finally got that one back 6 years later.

M

jlwdm
11-17-2017, 12:19 PM
I have long legs for my height and need custom frames. I have two and will never sell them unless I get to the point where I cannot ride them anymore. I have had my Serotta Nove for over 10 years and have never thought once about selling it. My Spectrum Ti is 7 years old but only has been ridden 50 miles. I just rescued it from Seattle and have it here in DFW where I can ride it now.

I have a CSI that was custom for someone else that fits me perfectly. It has an intricate paint job that I would not pick. This bike is on permanent duty on the trainer in my media room.

Jeff

Nooch
11-17-2017, 12:32 PM
I sold my Pronto -- and have been dealing with a bit of regret, lately.

I wasn't riding it, or riding much. I overthought it and thought I should have gone with the 50cm instead of the 52, and I kept imagining my tire was rubbing -- maybe I'd just gotten that much slower since I'd gotten it and hadn't been riding.

I liked big 25's and 28's, and wanted something that could take em.. And I guess I wanted someone to enjoy what I wasn't, because it was such a special bike.

But, because it was such a special bike -- I miss it. And now that I'm riding more, lost weight, fitness is in a good place, actually *FEELING* like a cyclist again -- I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, but I don't think Jaybe will be parting with it anytime soon, if ever (although I do have first right of refusal ;) )

pdmtong
11-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Bigger tires too-

Closest thing to an "I'll never sell" might be a custom Parlee that I rode in 2006- I lusted after it for a time in 2014 (the guy I sold it to still has it)- But even that has passed. The Parlee will only take 23mm tires, and it has a Reynolds fork with limited clearance. The Scott Addict RC disc that I am riding now is a better bike in every way.

One thing to keep in mind though, is to seek change that matters for the riding one is doing or would like to do.

A lot of folks are pavement only - 25s are fine. Narrow rims are fine. 10sp mechanical is fine. The road does not know the bike is obsolete.

While I am "jealous" of the fire roads you and Houston have that offer pavement alternatives, that type of riding does not exist for me down here. Anything near me on dirt I would rather ride my mtn bike on. And, i can't easily ride from my house to get to it.

pdmtong
11-17-2017, 01:34 PM
I sold my Pronto -- and have been dealing with a bit of regret, lately.

I wasn't riding it, or riding much. I overthought it and thought I should have gone with the 50cm instead of the 52, and I kept imagining my tire was rubbing -- maybe I'd just gotten that much slower since I'd gotten it and hadn't been riding.

I liked big 25's and 28's, and wanted something that could take em.. And I guess I wanted someone to enjoy what I wasn't, because it was such a special bike.

But, because it was such a special bike -- I miss it. And now that I'm riding more, lost weight, fitness is in a good place, actually *FEELING* like a cyclist again -- I'd buy it back in a heartbeat, but I don't think Jaybe will be parting with it anytime soon, if ever (although I do have first right of refusal ;) )

Agreed, that Pronto should have been a keeper - a proper go fast ti serotta.

pdonk
11-17-2017, 03:06 PM
I am in the midst of this conundrum right now. I have a 12 year old vamoots sl, with dura ace and chris king, more bike than I deserve or need for both the quanity and type of riding I do, yet I want something new and can only really afford it if I sell. Scared that if I sell, I won't like what I get as much and there will never be a way to replace the moots.

To add to it, the bike, while used when I bought it, was kind of a wedding present.

54ny77
11-17-2017, 03:11 PM
that's a horrible bike. especially if it's a 54. that particular size is known to ride really poorly, and they look awful. i'll gladly take it off your hands to save you future embarrassment.... :p

I am in the midst of this conundrum right now. I have a 12 year old vamoots sl, with dura ace and chris king, more bike than I deserve or need for both the quanity and type of riding I do, yet I want something new and can only really afford it if I sell. Scared that if I sell, I won't like what I get as much and there will never be a way to replace the moots.

To add to it, the bike, while used when I bought it, was kind of a wedding present.

pdonk
11-17-2017, 03:15 PM
that's a horrible bike. especially if it's a 54. that particular size is known to ride really poorly, and they look awful. i'll gladly take it off your hands to save you future embarrassment.... :p

I'll save you from yourself, its a 62.5. As seen here

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158818. Saddle, bar tape, bars, cranks, fork, pedals and skewers changed since pic taken.

Rides amazing for where I like to ride.

redir
11-17-2017, 03:33 PM
I've been thinking about selling my Moots because when I got it I got it in the sort of old school racing philosophy that you buy small and fit it up for racing. It's a very aggressive ride all be it a nice smooth one and it corners like it's on rails. But since I only do like 2 races a year now I'm enjoying my C'Dale Synapse much more as it's bigger and fits more comfortably.

If I was gonna answer in the what would you buy for $6K thread though, it would probably be another Moots, jsut a bigger one.

Anyone want to trade Moots for Moots? :D

54ny77
11-17-2017, 03:40 PM
Oh, well most definitely the 62.5's are fine. That's well documented on the internet. I was just concerned for your well being in case it was a 54.

:p

I'll save you from yourself, its a 62.5. As seen here

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=158818. Saddle, bar tape, bars, cranks, fork, pedals and skewers changed since pic taken.

Rides amazing for where I like to ride.

-dustin
11-17-2017, 03:45 PM
i've had 2...

first was a vaporware derailleur hanger (or at least, a not easily sourced hanger).

second was bad geometry on a bike that was supposed to be custom and i got tired of telling myself the geo wasn't the problem.

parco
11-17-2017, 03:49 PM
I had a Merckx Titanium. I had it for years. Great bike but it was really too big for me. I tried different stems but I never really got comfortable on it.

cgolvin
11-17-2017, 04:07 PM
at some point, the moots the responsorium and perhaps even the vanilla might go to make that happen.

anticipatory DIBS on the responsorium (size permitting) ;)

bikingshearer
11-18-2017, 07:43 PM
For me, it was my 1986 De Rosa Professional. I traded the frame and fork for a ~1965 Cinelli Speciale Corsa frame, as discussed in this thread. https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=213654 I thought long and hard before doing it, as the De Rosa was and is a great frame, but I have no regrets.

john903
11-18-2017, 08:07 PM
I bought a Hampsten Cinghale frame and fork at the Seattle bike swap in 2008. I then built it with Campy Chorus from 2000 that came off a Waterford which I sold to help fund a new bike (my Curtlo all rounder.) The Hampsten fit and rode perfect then I sold it to a friend who really liked it. What was I thinking, I wasn't. Thankfully my friend sold it back to me and all is well in the world now.
I have been contemplating something new but I will still keep my Hampsten.

sparky33
11-18-2017, 08:32 PM
Oddly enough I let go of my Weigle 650b rando (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1975103), incredibly beautiful and built for me in JPW's special "hot-rod" formula. It was an heirloom quality bike that I waited the better part of a decade for but which my evolving preferences failed to fully appreciate. My wandering eyes found new obsessions, and I seldom regret the choices.

I did however feel differently in selling my pea-sage-green Kirk (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=124059&highlight=kirk) terraplane all-road bike. This was a bike with incedible mojo that took me everywhere, some memorable days. Parting with it was unimaginable. However, I eventually fixed what had turned out to be a rotten hip and found myself as quite a different and better shape. The Kirk didn't fit the right way anymore, so I sold it here. This bike has since been reincarnated in a new Kirk (https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196300). Pretty darn close, but I know the difference with my eyes closed. Some times I consider repainting Kirk v2 that same green color but then prefer to let it go.

These days I do buy and sell a bit, and many are remarkable. I am surprised by which ring the best for me. The fancy name or price is only part of the equation. There is more intangible quality at play. Also, I have learned the outlook that there are way more bikes out there that I want to enjoy than I can actually own at any one time. By necessity there is a revolving door for even the best of them.

quickfeet
11-18-2017, 08:57 PM
I stupidly sold my first custom bike when sponsorship changed a few seasons ago. The new bike was argueably better in every measurable way, but I instantly regretted selling my old ride. My wife even scolded me for selling it. I tried multiple times to get it back from the buyer but no luck. Finally found out it had been totalled in an accident with a car. Rider was OK thankfully but my frame was toast...

bob heinatz
11-18-2017, 10:52 PM
A Kelly Bedford custom road.

fignon's barber
11-19-2017, 07:28 AM
When I first got into bike racing in the late 80's, I liked the idea of "bike as a tool". My first real bike was an Atala Columbus SL, and it was my one and only for 7 years. I had a relationship with it, but it was a tool and I used it until it well worn and retired it to a hook in the garage because to repaint and refurbish would have cost $450 and a flashy new Vitus 992 was $750. That Atala still hangs in the garage (if I posted a photo, it would make your eyes hurt).
That was the only bike I've ever felt anything for. Every other bike I've ever owned and sold have gone without a second thought. I think a bad thing about the internet in general is that it makes you want more things and you fail to really appreciate the things you have and get the most out of them.

ultraman6970
11-19-2017, 09:05 AM
De Rosa planet... I'm getting old and from one day to another the bicycle felt big. Had to go. Hope the dude who bought it almost for nothing still has it, awesome frame.

hollowgram5
11-19-2017, 09:09 AM
Fit, or just lack of use and other things in life needing funding.

Tommasini Diamante is up for sale and it's just a hair too small. Told myself it would be a wall hanger before I sold it, but I would prefer to just move on to other bikes.

Will I miss it, sure. But.. it's just a bike. And anything is for sale, for the right price.

marciero
11-19-2017, 03:17 PM
funny thread.

even billy joel got divorced from christy brinkley.

Reminds me of a line from Stanley Tucci's character in Sidewalks of New York

Wayne77
11-19-2017, 04:17 PM
Another bike that I wanted more...and I will never ever ever sell it.

rePhil
11-19-2017, 07:01 PM
This thread has got me seriously thinking of selling my 52 Moots Compact F&F. I haven't ridden it much at all in the past few years, and while it's one of those "I ain't never going to sell" frames, maybe it's time.

merckxman
11-20-2017, 07:24 AM
Recently sold a beautiful 90s small Italian builder bike that had many good memories attached to it to fund the purchase of a cyclo-cross bike. I didn't ride it a lot and my priorities changed towards extending my riding season. Right now, staying fit and healthy is more important and cycling helps me with that.

Ungaro
11-20-2017, 07:54 AM
What got me to sell my 2007 Orbea Orca? Steel. To be exact, I was riding my wall hanger 1971 Raleigh Professional for Eroica California, and it was like buttery smooth. When I got back, I jumped on my Orbea, and felt that familiar racey edge to it..."good to be back on the machine" I said to my self. Until, that is, I got back from my ride and looked at the stats. I was beat up and tired. Two days later, I rode the same route on the old heavy Raleigh, and guess what? my time was faster, and I felt great at the end of the ride. I repeated this experiment a few times, with the same results. In short, the carbon fram set had to go. I replaced it with my 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria. Life on two wheels has never been better.

Just remember what happens to plastic when you leave it in the sun - it deteriorates. Carbon has limited life. Be advised.

Jeff N.
11-20-2017, 08:46 AM
For me, bikes that usually go on the selling block are bikes that just don't get ridden much anymore...and I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes. :crap:

joosttx
11-20-2017, 09:08 AM
... another bike.

C40_guy
11-20-2017, 10:51 AM
Had the frame built for me back in 2003. Raced on it for a few years. 10 or so years later I had found a Colnago CX bike and figured I didn't need more than one 'cross bike.

So I sold it on ebay. Regretted selling it even before I delivered it to the buyer. Didn't want to let it go...

A year later I still missed the bike, so I contacted the buyer and asked if he'd be willing to sell it back to me. Yep.

So now I have not two, but four 'cross bikes in the stable. Go figure!

The Hot Tubes was one of two custom bikes I had built. The other was a Condor Cycles road bike, built in 1981. Lots of memories with that bike, including meeting Monty Young, the builder. Lots of miles.

That bike was retired about 20 years ago and has been hanging around as a bare frame. I don't expect to ever ride it again, and am thinking about selling it. At some point, I'll post here explaining my remorse in selling it. :)

cachagua
11-20-2017, 12:22 PM
I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes...

Investments and real estate, I expect (or hope) to come out well ahead. Bikes... I never go into it thinking I'll make money, or even get back my cost. The way I rationalize the dollar loss when turning one over is I pay for experience and knowledge.

They say you don't buy beer, you only rent it. If bikes are like that, I can stand it -- I've lost track long ago how many I've had, never really kept track, and if I'd done something useful with that money I'd probably live a little different life, but I'm satisfied with the bargain.

But to come back to the point: I've sold bikes because I didn't like the way they felt to ride, more often than any other reason. Ha ha, and then come to find out there was something I could have done to fix the problem... had a Merlin Extralight that was just a bad handler, unstable and impossible to control. I dumped it, probably lost half what I put into it. Then I got to talking with people about forks and discovered there were a lot of options I'd never tried...

fignon's barber
11-20-2017, 12:59 PM
...and I always take it in the $horts, losing many hundreds over the original cost of the bikes. :crap:

NO,NO,NO. You must think of it as "cost softening". For example, if you are about to spend $4k on a frame, you quickly calculate that you will get $2500 back when you sell it, so you are REALLY only spending $1500. Then you depreciate the cost over duration you will own the bike, until said cost is less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Then you say to yourself, " cycling costs less than being a smoker, and much healthier."

Jeff N.
11-20-2017, 01:05 PM
NO,NO,NO. You must think of it as "cost softening". For example, if you are about to spend $4k on a frame, you quickly calculate that you will get $2500 back when you sell it, so you are REALLY only spending $1500. Then you depreciate the cost over duration you will own the bike, until said cost is less than the cost of a pack of cigarettes. Then you say to yourself, " cycling costs less than being a smoker, and much healthier."
Interesting perspective!

makoti
11-20-2017, 01:08 PM
A Trek 2000, my first "superbike". Was going to keep it forever. Then, the shifters fell off...

54ny77
11-20-2017, 01:51 PM
damn that's good. i gotta show this to my wife. are you an ex-arthur andersen accountant tasked with working on the enron account?

-dustin
11-20-2017, 01:58 PM
damn that's good. i gotta show this to my wife. are you an ex-arthur andersen accountant tasked with working on the enron account?

I agree. That’s straight out of Smartest Guys in the Room.

54ny77
11-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Seriously, it's got everything in there: wild-arsed assumptions and booking future potential revenue today!

I agree. That’s straight out of Smartest Guys in the Room.

fignon's barber
11-20-2017, 03:38 PM

Remember: there's a buyer and seller in every situation. Sometimes you gotta be both.

sparky33
11-20-2017, 05:20 PM
NO,NO,NO. You must think of it as "cost softening". For example, if you are about to spend $4k on a frame, you quickly calculate that you will get $2500 back when you sell it, so you are REALLY only spending $1500.

This is rational, and it sounds really good until you figure out that members who trade in used horses have a tiny net outlay by comparison.
That said, I frequently go in on the on owning the relatively expensive new-shiny portion of a bike's life versus the rest of it.

KidWok
11-20-2017, 06:00 PM
Swore I'd never sell the Merckx MX Leader. Got it in my late 20's when I liked my bikes small so that I could run my handlebars low and stems long. I got older.

Swore I'd never sell the Co-Motion S&S Nor'Wester...it was the perfect bike for most situations and I could travel with it. Could take larger tires but still rode like a race bike. Should have been the last bike I ever needed. It had too large of an functional range, which made it hard to justify owning several other bikes. I was still in N+1 mode back in those days.

Sometimes there are bikes that I swear I won't sell...but then I get something else that I would swear harder that I wouldn't sell. Have sworn I won't sell my C50, but I'm starting to think about it.

Tai

mtb_frk
11-23-2017, 09:45 AM
I have a Look 595 that I barely ride, I just never ride on the road any more. I tried to sell it a few years ago and it didn’t work out and I really didn’t want to let it go. Here we are a couple years later and I have only ridden it a few times since, maybe it’s time to say good by. Why I am holding onto a bike that I never ride...