PDA

View Full Version : Gravel grinding at Mohonk-Minnewaska in Hudson Valley

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2017, 02:14 PM
I haven’t posted anything like this in a while, so I thought maybe I should give it a try again and do my best Velotel imitation. (Won’t come anywhere near equaling the Alps, but will do the best I can!)

Last month I headed down to this area to do some more exploring in the myriad carriage roads that wind through this area on the Shawangunk Ridge, which is between the Catskills and the Hudson River down near New Paltz, NY.

If you’ve never been there to ride, you really should try to get there if you’re within day or weekend trip distance. The ridge is separate from the Catskills, and has a series of glacial lakes along the ridge top. There’s spectacular cliffs, ravines, and views both east and west of the Hudson Valley and the Catskills, respectively. There are many, MANY miles of carriage roads that wind through the various public and private preserves that occupy the top of the ridge:

-Minnewaska State Park, NY state park ($10 per car day fee)
-Mohonk Preserve, private non-profit run preserve ($20 day use fee for bikes)
-Mohonk Mountain House, private for-profit resort ($21 weekday, $26 weekend day use fee)
-Sam’s Point Preserve, Open Space Institute (no fee)

I’ve ridden in Minnewaska several times and explored Mohonk Preserve on this ride, but no desire right now to hit the Mountain House property because of the fee there. If you’re willing to ride up the hill from Ellenville or several other lots, you can avoid the Minnewaska or Mohonk fee. I’m not sure how well the roads in Mohonk preserve or house are patrolled, though they have very official looking, vaguely threatening signs.

It’s not possible to shoot a bad picture here! At least, that’s my reaction after visiting the place half a dozen times on foot and bike. Absolutely stunning every season of the year. This time I stopped at the Mohonk Preserve visitor center, paid their $20 fee, then headed to the Trapps parking lot up on top. I think the $20 was worth it this time around—the guy in the visitor mapped out a ride for me that hit all the high points on roads I’d never been on before.

First I rode up the hill into Minnewaska and ate my lunch where the carriage road goes right by the foot of Awosting Falls, which had a surprising amount of water coming over it considering how little rain we’ve had lately. Then I headed back down and did the circuit the visitor center guy had given me. Except at the Lower Trapps Cliffs climbing area—world famous—I saw hardly a soul most of the time I was there. As the sun sank in late afternoon there was beautiful light all over, and sunset from the ridge top at Cope’s Lookout was spectacular. I encountered the couple you see in the photo sitting in the gazebo and they were nice enough to let me photograph them. I also ran into several other riders there, one of whom was on a very nice light blue steel Zank.

I ended up getting back to the car after dark, but it was so great riding along and seeing the softening glow of twilight through the trees. You could easily ride both days of the weekend and hardly do the same trail twice.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2017, 02:18 PM
. . . when the Mountain Laurel is all blooming. Flowers as far as the eye can see.

BBD

adampaiva
11-16-2017, 02:27 PM
Nice photos. It is a great place(s). In Mohonk Preserve there are sometimes people stationed asking for your pass but as long as you go fast enough you just fly by.
For even more gravel and trails you can connect easily to the Lundy preserve and Lippman park just down the hill on the west side.

BikeNY
11-16-2017, 02:30 PM
Beautiful! I've lived most of my life less than 2 hours from there and have never been. I know, sad... But I've only recently started exploring dirt and gravel roads, and it's very high up on my list. Thanks for the excellent pictures.

palincss
11-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Back in the 1970s the Mid Hudson Bicycle Club used to ride those carriage roads on our 27x1 1/4" tyred sport touring road bikes, and when we put on GEAR 74 in Poughkeepsie we had over 100 riders with bikes of all kinds on those roads. Back then "mountain bikes" and "gravel grinders" didn't exist, but we never had any trouble riding there. And yes, it was fabulous - and I'm happy to see it still is.

weisan
11-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Dave pal, excellent writeup and those pictures are outstanding, as usual.

zzy
11-16-2017, 03:11 PM
I rode Minnewaska and Mohonk this summer - I was never stopped or asked for a permit. We parked in Minnewaska and paid the $10 fee, and that was it. We rode all the trails up around the Mountain house, and I even refilled my bottles in the bathrooms. That part, btw, was spectacularly beautiful. The people there clearly didn't want us around tho. There are no vending machines and few if any sports to get water otherwise, so come prepared. Probably the nicest gravel riding I've ever done. Also if you want a real challenge, start a the bottom at New Paltz and climb 2000ft+ up to the park on the road. May save the parking fee altogether..

palincss
11-16-2017, 05:03 PM
Also if you want a real challenge, start a the bottom at New Paltz and climb 2000ft+ up to the park on the road. May save the parking fee altogether..

If I'm remembering right, we used to describe that as "A gruelling half hour up and two terrifying minutes going back down."

mhespenheide
11-16-2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks for that. I grew up in Poughkeepsie and often crossed over the river to go hiking with family and friends on that side, and later some trail running. Should be amazingly beautiful and fun on a bike that handles firm, small gravel.

tumbler
11-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Very nice pictures. I love that area.

tiretrax
11-16-2017, 06:07 PM
Those are spectacular, BBD. Thank you for posting. The fees seem a little steep, but New York prices, I guess. BTW, why no pics of you in a spiffy kit? I haven't seen one of those in a long time, and we need one soon!

happycampyer
11-16-2017, 06:31 PM
I'm only an hour or so away from New Paltz, and your write-up and pictures have me kicking myself that I don't just go up there every weekend. Thanks for the inspiration (and the beautiful photos, as always).

The fees seem pretty reasonable given how well-maintained the trail system is.

PaMtbRider
11-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Great report Dave. We rode there several years ago, while friends did some rock climbing. Definitely need to make a return trip.

Gphin
11-16-2017, 08:16 PM
Wow nice shots Dave, I'm also a little ashamed to not have taken advantage of all the great riding so close to home. I absolutely will take a trip up next spring. Thanks for sharing the awesome pictures.

pitonpat
11-16-2017, 09:58 PM
What a surprise to be surfing the Paceline Forum and come across your great pictures from the 'Gunks! I've been rock climbing there since 1966 and have walked the Undercliff Road hundreds of times. You are right, it's easy to take good pics there. Your shot of the rock climber is on a climb called Horseman, right at the Uberfall, the Gunks most popular hang-out spot.

Thanks for the visual treat!

VoyTirando
11-16-2017, 10:01 PM
....but as a climber, not as a cyclist. Hell, I recognize the specific route that climber's on (and I think I know her!). Everything you write about that area is true: it's a magical place. That's a great ride report. There's a smell in the air at Mohonk and Minnesaska that's good for the soul. Thanks me for reminding me.

Now I just need to make time to get up there and ride.

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2017, 07:45 AM
. . . looked pretty tentative. Might have been her first time up that route? There were plenty of other people there on this day. But get on the other roads, particularly southward toward Lake Awosting in the Minnewaska park, and there's hardly anybody there, especially on weekdays if you can get free to head up there.

ZZY, if you went in the actual hotel to fill up your bottles, then I'm not surprised they might not be thrilled. On their website they point out specifically in the day hike permit section that it does not include access to the mountain house hotel.

As to the fees, at Minnewaska I'm usually willing to pay the $10 per car fee because I feel it's worth it. Keep in mind that's a vehicle fee. If you want to ride or hike up the mountain to there, then go for it for free. Mohonk Preserve is $20, tbut he visitor center really impressed me and again, I felt it was worth it. But $26 at the Mountain House on a weekend just to park and walk around--AND no access inside the hotel for bathrooms or other services? Uh, no thanks. It comes across as snotty, which doesn't surprise me. The hotel is REALLY expensive.

If you don't want to ride up the mountain, download a map and look for the Jenny Lane parking area/trailhead about a mile west of the Minnewaska entrance. There's only room for about 6 cars, but it's free, not gated, and get there early and you're in. There are prominent gates on the lots at both Minnewaska Awosting and park HQ, and at West Trapps Lot and the visitor center for Mohonk. Attendants at both Mohonk locations told me they never close those gates, but that's my worry if I stay after dark to get sunset pics. Get back to the car and discover they've decided to lock the gate.

If anybody is wondering, I shot these with a Nikon D7100 with a chest harness so it's accessible if I stop suddenly. Cheap harness I bought years ago, but it works pretty well. I also wear a Camelbak Hawg pack, also quite old, that has room for my riding photo kit. So . . .

D7100 on my chest with 18-200mm
-28-300 (42-450mm equivalent for DX format camera) in pack
-105 2.8 (167mm equivalent) macro in pack
-Sigma 10-20 (15-30mm equivalent) in pack
-SB-800 flash in pack
-SC-17 remote cord in pack
-Tabletop tripod in pack
-wireless remote release, several neutral density filters, extra battery, etc in pack

This has worked out quite well for me. I have soft pouches for the items in the pack and having it all in a backpack isolates it way better from vibration than using rear saddlebags.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2017, 07:53 AM
. . . from that area.

Laurel bloom in 2016:
https://goo.gl/photos/tqQ8i1Zc3TWZ2my46

Fall hike 2015:
https://goo.gl/photos/cdxirKAygupL1AnY8

Awosting Falls . . . Just such a cool place, especially if you go there off-hours or off-season when it's almost deserted.

Richard
11-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Just a note...At age 62, Minnewaska is free entry on weekdays. It's also groomed for XC skiing in the winter (as is Mohonk).

sc53
11-17-2017, 09:58 AM
What a fabulous ride report! I love gravel road riding more than any other and must plan a trip up here. I have always heard of "the Gunks" as a rock climbing area but did not know about the great bike riding possibilities as well. Thanks for the photos, Dave, and the trip info. Steve P we've got to organize a trip up this way! The gravel looks very well groomed, suitable even for a road bike with 25 or 28c tires.

IFRider
11-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Formerly a climbing bum who spent most of my 20's around the Gunks. In the early '80s we picked up those new-fangled mountain bikes in order to get to the Sky Top climbs (now closed to climbing) before others and at that time, there were no people riding and we could even ride the hiking trails on the back of the cliffs.

That climber is on "Horseman", a classic first multi-pitch outing for many people. First pitch leads out over a really nice roof and the horizontal holds are plentiful. A cold November day back then, I was walking under Horseman and heard a scream and loud bang and some dude cratered a few feet away. To our amazement, he got up holding his head. We had to rescue his belayer who had taken him off belay before he clipped into the belay anchor at the end of the first pitch and suffered severe rope burn in both hands. Turns out they had smoked a big fat one before heading up and the guy that fell got vertigo and lost balance. He only had a concussion according to the EMT who was nearby, wicked lucky.

Warren

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2017, 10:55 AM
What a fabulous ride report! I love gravel road riding more than any other and must plan a trip up here. I have always heard of "the Gunks" as a rock climbing area but did not know about the great bike riding possibilities as well. Thanks for the photos, Dave, and the trip info. Steve P we've got to organize a trip up this way! The gravel looks very well groomed, suitable even for a road bike with 25 or 28c tires.

. . . for spring. A day spent gravel grinding, with apres-ride refreshments at Mountain Brauhaus at the bottom. of the hill or at Gilded Otter brewpub in New Paltz would be a great forum group ride.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-17-2017, 10:58 AM
. . . is up by the tower?

As I rode along there, more than a few of the folks coming/going to the routes seemed to be carrying foam mattresses, about the size of a single bed mattress or smaller. Any idea what those are for? Just relaxing between climbs? Seems like they would be way too small to serve as anything more than a very rudimentary safety aid.

BBD

Formerly a climbing bum who spent most of my 20's around the Gunks. In the early '80s we picked up those new-fangled mountain bikes in order to get to the Sky Top climbs (now closed to climbing) before others and at that time, there were no people riding and we could even ride the hiking trails on the back of the cliffs.

That climber is on "Horseman", a classic first multi-pitch outing for many people. First pitch leads out over a really nice roof and the horizontal holds are plentiful. A cold November day back then, I was walking under Horseman and heard a scream and loud bang and some dude cratered a few feet away. To our amazement, he got up holding his head. We had to rescue his belayer who had taken him off belay before he clipped into the belay anchor at the end of the first pitch and suffered severe rope burn in both hands. Turns out they had smoked a big fat one before heading up and the guy that fell got vertigo and lost balance. He only had a concussion according to the EMT who was nearby, wicked lucky.

Warren

trener1
11-17-2017, 12:33 PM
How about a little group ride up there, maybe in December?.

staggerwing
11-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Not a NYer, but my uncle ran a rather spiffy (over 800 acres) standard bred race horse farm less than 15 miles from there, in Wallkill, NY. During grade school and high school, I would be sent up in the summer to spend some time there. Sadly, I wasn't biking then, but did spend some time hiking an bouldering on Mohonk property, and swimming in Lake Minnewaska (always cool, to downright cold, even in summer).

FWIW, there used to be a competing resort to Mohonk on Minnewaska property, run by the Mohonk owner's twin brother. More here: http://www.nytimes.com/1987/06/03/nyregion/lake-to-be-a-state-park-ending-a-17-year-battle.html

If you are around mid-summer, cruise on over to Sams Point with a small bucket for a nice haul of free, wild blueberries.

Tony T
11-17-2017, 12:55 PM
After a ride, if you want some great micro-brew, stop by Rough Cut Brewing Co.

Tony T
11-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Not a NYer, but my uncle ran a rather spiffy (over 800 acres) standard bred race horse farm less than 15 miles from there, in Wallkill, NY.

Blue Chip?

If you are around mid-summer, cruise on over to Sams Point with a small bucket for a nice haul of free, wild blueberries.

Part of Minnewaska State Park now, so while the huckleberries are free, it'll cost you to park ;)

Gphin
11-17-2017, 01:00 PM
I'm up for a mini Dirtphalt part 2...Before the snow takes over

YoKev
11-17-2017, 01:02 PM
I've been a paying member of Mohonk Preserve for some years now.

I generally either ride down the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail from Kingston or Rosendale, up the "Larson Loop" (mountain bike), which will eventually kick you up to Spring Farm Trailhead at Mohonk Preserve. A couple of times I've parked in New Paltz and ridden up onto the property via the Gatehouse which is a recent acquisition.

The Mountain House is managed as a different property, and while I/we try to keep a low profile, there have never been any issues.

Minnewaska is great too!

I ski and snowshoe at Mohonk in the winter, and they even allow fat bikes on the groomed trails.

Ride on.

staggerwing
11-17-2017, 01:33 PM
Blue Chip?

Part of Minnewaska State Park now, so while the huckleberries are free, it'll cost you to park ;)

Yes, Blue Chip Farms. They used to have a second receiving farm, closer to the Gunks, but that was sold off years ago. When the original principal passed, my uncle received a share of the business. About that time, the tax advantages of such a diversion were being phased out, and the business became much more difficult. Not too long after, in 1998, my uncle retired. He passed 10 years later.

They used to do FBI special driver training on the abandoned airfield that is now the Swangunk Grasslands National Preserve too. My cousins were able to learn a thing or two over there. The Google satellite view shows that the almost 2 mile long runway that was once there is now either buried or removed.

Not just huckleberries, but blueberries too. Totally worth the parking fee.

Good memories.

Tony T
11-17-2017, 02:52 PM
I ride though Blue Chip a lot.
I rode to the Sam's Point entrance a few times this year (nice 2000 ft climb).
2 years ago I continued to Sam's Point on a day there wasn't too may hikers. Bikes are not allowed to be ridden past the entrance, but I wanted to make to the rock at least once :)

staggerwing
11-17-2017, 08:19 PM
That first shot, with the weeping willow, almost has to be Bates Lane.

Sadly, I had heard there was a cyclist killed on Bates 4-5 years back. Don't know the full story.

AJosiahK
11-17-2017, 08:32 PM
Those photos wow. what a great place

My wife grew up just down the road from mohonk. Her local MTB / CX trails cut in and out of the Mohonk preserve.

Such a beautiful place.

I fell hard for that area, but not as hard as I fell for that woman.

Tony T
11-18-2017, 07:25 AM
That first shot, with the weeping willow, almost has to be Bates Lane.

Sadly, I had heard there was a cyclist killed on Bates 4-5 years back. Don't know the full story.

Yes.
Didn't hear about the cyclist that was killed. Bates Ln has almost no traffic, surprised to hear about that death. (I would not be surprised if it were route 9)

BumbleBeeDave
11-18-2017, 08:54 AM
How about a little group ride up there, maybe in December?.

. . . depending on the specific day, and the weather report.

Weekend of Dec. 2-3? 9-10? 16-17?

BBD

AngryScientist
11-18-2017, 09:03 AM
It's a great area, for sure.

I made it a point to spend a bunch of weekend day trips there and the lower catskills in general this summer. awesome riding for days both on tarmac and off.

i'm close enough to blast up there in an hour or so. Would definitely be down for a group ride, provided the temps are over 35 or so. i'm a pretty big cold weather wimp.

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-r2QFg0tsKPo/WdTMg3hVIJI/AAAAAAAAC5o/E4CNVyirqywqzG_9hndCHcPD_N1bmHSawCLcBGAs/s1100/catskills%2B60.JPG

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-0AqdKFv4mb4/WcJrOERxdpI/AAAAAAAAC4s/GIpj5YUmcLsiu3uuNwZCJNLQJfa07FkawCLcBGAs/s1100/IMG_1281.JPG

Tony T
11-18-2017, 12:44 PM
There used to be a ride called the Gunks 10,000 (10,000 feet of climbing in 100 miles) Never rode it, and I don't think it's done anymore, but one of the older routes is on ridewithgps.

Also good routes south of what you posted.
Here's a nice view just over the ridge on 52:

pitonpat
11-18-2017, 05:05 PM
Dave, the 'mattresses' are used as landing pads, not unlike gymnastic mats, for so-called boulderers. These people are an aberrant sub-group of the already nutty people who rock climb (including me); note: tongue firmly in cheek!

Boulderers climb short, often extremely difficult, climbs typically on detached boulders strewn about the landscape, often starting from a sitting position to get the most moves possible. The 'sport' evolved from regular rock climbers who trained on boulders, to become the distinct group of people who rarely climb anything but boulders.

IFRider
11-18-2017, 06:46 PM
. . . is up by the tower?

As I rode along there, more than a few of the folks coming/going to the routes seemed to be carrying foam mattresses, about the size of a single bed mattress or smaller. Any idea what those are for? Just relaxing between climbs? Seems like they would be way too small to serve as anything more than a very rudimentary safety aid.

BBD

If I recall it up towards the tower. I think the tower was off limits. We were more focused on get to the climbs.

Those mattresses are crash pads for bouldering. Did not exist back when I was there but very popular for rope free climbing close to the ground where a fall could be landed safely.

We used to boulder a lot when late in the day to wind down or in the winter when the days were short and windy up higher.

Warren

trener1
11-18-2017, 08:52 PM
. . . depending on the specific day, and the weather report.

Weekend of Dec. 2-3? 9-10? 16-17?

BBD

I think I can make 12/3 as of now.
Should also be able to make some of the later weekends in December.
My caveats are, not to early of a start, I need to drive up from Brooklyn, would like the temps to at least be near 30.

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2017, 08:42 AM
Looks like forecast at this point for that day is high of 35, partly cloudy, and 10% chance for precip. But I recognize this far in advance that would be pretty tentative.

But I'm up for it. Will be cold, but misery loves company!

BBD

MrCannonCam
11-19-2017, 07:23 PM
I have a buddy that lives in Kingston, have ridden some of the roads in that area they are truly great!

pat3967
11-19-2017, 08:16 PM
I live in Fishkill and I've biked Moronk since I was a kid (I'm 50 now). It's a spectacular area especially in the fall. Another great area is Annandale-on-Hudson. It's north of Rhinebeck and Bard College is there. Fantastic trails and gravel roads all over. I work in New York City and it always blows my mind the contrast between NYC and these areas, it's wild. Good thread.

AngryScientist
11-29-2017, 12:48 PM
check out this thread:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=2270470#post2270470

Redbasso2
11-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Another thanks for the great posting. As a new cross bike enthusiast who loves the gravel and fire roads, I'd definitely want to check out the area. I'm just 2 hours south in NJ and remember how pretty upstate NY is, I went to college in central NY.
Fantastic photos, very inspiring!

sonicCows
12-03-2017, 09:08 PM
It's definitely worth it if you're in NYC...I'm sure locals would know their own secret spots in the northeast, but for an organized trail system I don't think many other places can beat New Paltz...

https://i.imgur.com/izhe4HBl.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/izhe4HB.jpg)

https://i.imgur.com/a1EhM3Zl.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/a1EhM3Z.jpg) https://i.imgur.com/Xc2R1Ubl.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/Xc2R1Ub.jpg)

BikeNY
10-03-2018, 03:18 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but looking for some route guidance. I'm looking to head up to here in the next few weeks and was trying to put together a decent loop of 40 to 50 miles or so, the less pavement the better! Since I'm coming from the south, I was thinking about parking around Walden at the bottom of the rail Trail, take that north for a bit, and then cut West to the Awosting entrance, climb up to the lake, then take some roads North/East, and then end with the Walkill trail back south again. My first issue is getting to Lake Awosting. On the map it looks like some of the trails are hiking only? I'll be on 2.35" 'road' tires, so not too worried by trails, but don't want to get in any trouble! Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Edit: Here's what I came up with so far. Feel free to critique: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28720200

Dsteiker
10-03-2018, 03:40 PM
Hi,

Take a look at this route. Did it a few weeks ago. Nice mix of terrain. Once you exit the dirt at Traps bridge nice descent to end the ride.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28321464

YoKev
10-03-2018, 05:46 PM
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but looking for some route guidance. I'm looking to head up to here in the next few weeks and was trying to put together a decent loop of 40 to 50 miles or so, the less pavement the better! Since I'm coming from the south, I was thinking about parking around Walden at the bottom of the rail Trail, take that north for a bit, and then cut West to the Awosting entrance, climb up to the lake, then take some roads North/East, and then end with the Walkill trail back south again. My first issue is getting to Lake Awosting. On the map it looks like some of the trails are hiking only? I'll be on 2.35" 'road' tires, so not too worried by trails, but don't want to get in any trouble! Any advice would be appreciated.

Mark

Edit: Here's what I came up with so far. Feel free to critique: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28720200

Yes, some trails are hiking only. Double track is open for everyone. Enforcement on trails is really lax, but, certain users can be really whiny and confrontational about it...if they have a dog and its off leash, make sure you point that out (against NYS law) while they're being unpleasant to you.

Trails can be pretty gnarly here, even some of the double track on the Minnewaska side...but, double track is definitely more friendly for your bike choice probably. There will almost 100% be a ranger at the Trapps bridge (route 44/55) to collect your day use fee.

I frequent the "Spring Farm" end near High Falls, so that is what I will comment on.

On your current route for example, right around mile 36/37, I think that is a hiking trail only (pretty sure..check into that). Instead, you'll want to take "Clearwater Road" to Old Canaan Road to the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail. It's marked to a certain extent, but once you're pointed downhill, they (Mohonk) have not marked it at all. Also, the spots right before miles 38 and 39 are pretty swampy, so just be ready for that. We've had a TON of rain lately. Actually, swamp at Mile 38 is a legit swamp now that I think about it.

If you push through the swamp though, I'd suggest you modify the route and bang a left/north onto the trail at Mile 38; the "Larson Loop". Bikes allowed, Great technical and swoopy trail with great views, and it dumps you just uphill of Rosendale. Go to the Alternative Baker or the Big Cheese for a treat for the pedal home.

BikeNY
10-04-2018, 08:42 AM
Yes, some trails are hiking only. Double track is open for everyone. Enforcement on trails is really lax, but, certain users can be really whiny and confrontational about it...if they have a dog and its off leash, make sure you point that out (against NYS law) while they're being unpleasant to you.

Trails can be pretty gnarly here, even some of the double track on the Minnewaska side...but, double track is definitely more friendly for your bike choice probably. There will almost 100% be a ranger at the Trapps bridge (route 44/55) to collect your day use fee.

I frequent the "Spring Farm" end near High Falls, so that is what I will comment on.

On your current route for example, right around mile 36/37, I think that is a hiking trail only (pretty sure..check into that). Instead, you'll want to take "Clearwater Road" to Old Canaan Road to the Wallkill Valley Rail Trail. It's marked to a certain extent, but once you're pointed downhill, they (Mohonk) have not marked it at all. Also, the spots right before miles 38 and 39 are pretty swampy, so just be ready for that. We've had a TON of rain lately. Actually, swamp at Mile 38 is a legit swamp now that I think about it.

If you push through the swamp though, I'd suggest you modify the route and bang a left/north onto the trail at Mile 38; the "Larson Loop". Bikes allowed, Great technical and swoopy trail with great views, and it dumps you just uphill of Rosendale. Go to the Alternative Baker or the Big Cheese for a treat for the pedal home.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. The section around miles 36/37 was one of the sections I wasn't sure about. I changed my route a bit, but that section looks very confusing, and different maps show different trails that are bike legal.

Also, the last section up to the lake around miles 12/13.

I couldn't find anything called Larson Loop, but I changed to route to take a trail North, I think that's what you were talking about. Side trip into Rosendale as well.

I shortened the loop by starting/finishing in Walkill instead, any suggestions for a safe place to park in Walkill?

I'm OK paying the day use fee if needed.

New route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/28720200

AngryScientist
10-04-2018, 09:04 AM
check out this thread we did last year right around this time also for some ideas.

when are you riding? if i'm in town i'd love to join you, i love it up there.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214181&highlight=minnewaska

YoKev
10-04-2018, 09:11 AM
I can't comment on the Mile 12/13 question, but you did correctly reroute to my suggestion :)

Just remember, where Clearwater changes to "Old Canon", that is a steep downhill to the lowland swamp. You will see a double track going through it though. You wont get lost, but you will get wet and very muddy.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1979/45096416521_a0feeaea10.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bH1VuM)

Enjoy the ride!

AngryScientist
10-04-2018, 09:15 AM
the other thing to bear in mind, and of course i have no idea of your fitness level or experience on gravel - so ignore if this is NA or obvious:

riding gravel up there always takes longer than i thought it would. for example, a 60 mile road ride with moderate hills is 4 and a half hours or so. 60 miles of lots of gravel, with the slower speeds, stopping for pictures, enjoying the scenery, etc - could easily be deep into 5 hour territory. just something to think about.

BikeNY
10-04-2018, 02:11 PM
check out this thread we did last year right around this time also for some ideas.

when are you riding? if i'm in town i'd love to join you, i love it up there.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=214181&highlight=minnewaska

I've looked through that thread, but didn't see much routing info in there. I may actually try for this Sunday. I was originally planning to do the Dirty Apple ride right here in Westchester, but I totally spaced out and missed the registration deadline! I already told my wife I was going to be out riding all day, so just came up with this plan. I'd plan for a 9ish AM start.

I can't comment on the Mile 12/13 question, but you did correctly reroute to my suggestion :)

Just remember, where Clearwater changes to "Old Canon", that is a steep downhill to the lowland swamp. You will see a double track going through it though. You wont get lost, but you will get wet and very muddy.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1979/45096416521_a0feeaea10.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/2bH1VuM)

Enjoy the ride!

I'll keep an eye out for that swamp! I'm not in a rush, so will take my time getting through.

the other thing to bear in mind, and of course i have no idea of your fitness level or experience on gravel - so ignore if this is NA or obvious:

riding gravel up there always takes longer than i thought it would. for example, a 60 mile road ride with moderate hills is 4 and a half hours or so. 60 miles of lots of gravel, with the slower speeds, stopping for pictures, enjoying the scenery, etc - could easily be deep into 5 hour territory. just something to think about.

Yup, I'm well aware that a 50-60 mile ride here will not be quick. I'm planning an early start and will hopefully have all day. I can also cut out the portion going up to Rosendale which would save some time and mileage.

zzy
10-04-2018, 02:20 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago and it was VERY swapy around lake Awosting. But the climb to the highest point was clear and dry. Didn't make it out to Mohonk unfortunately.

Ruckusdog
10-04-2018, 03:27 PM
Great pictures of one of my favorite hiking and biking spots. I’m always happy to pay the fees at the Preserve. It’s the source of funds for trail maintenance.