PDA

View Full Version : Pro teams on Serottas?

petitelilpettit
09-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Hey everyone. I have a small dilemma on my hands. I have just recently upped the ante and purchased a Serotta Coeur d'Acier frame, which has drained my bank account to nearly nothing (I'm 19 working two jobs and taking 16 units in college). The most flak I am receiving is from my father, who really is doubting my wisdom in purchasing this frame :no: . First off, I was riding a Scott aluminum bike, which I purchased back in the summer of 2005. Basically, I used my money from high school graduation to purchase an entry-level road bike. Now, after working at a Serotta-sanctioned bike shop, I wanted to get outstanding quality for a valuable price. Basically, his argument is that if Serotta is such a great company, why aren't the pro teams riding Serottas in the Tour de France? Of course, I attempted to explain to him that the 7-Eleven team rode on Serottas, but that didn't faze him :crap: . I just am looking for justification why pro teams are not on Serottas. I understand that most of it has to do with sponsors, and I am aware that teams such as Kodak/Sierra Nevada and USPS Masters ride them, but what notable teams? Thanks for your help, people!

Pettit

Ahneida Ride
09-20-2006, 03:17 PM
Serotta just does not have the deep pockets to support a major team.

NASCAR does not run any Ferrari's. Does that imply a Ferrari is not exemplary ?

saab2000
You did not make a mistake buying that CdA. They are cool.

Serottae have been ridden in the Tour and the ultimate compliment for a builder (IMHO) is to have their bike ridden to a win in a big race while wearing the paint job of another bike maker. Secret satisfaction knowing you make the good stuff.

Ask Pascal Richard about his Fausto Coppi in the Olympics.

fstrthnu
Correction: Sierra Nevada/Kodak is on Merckx's.

LegendRider
09-20-2006, 03:21 PM
Follow the money.

Look what companies sponsor ProTour teams - Trek, Cannondale (QuickStep for 2007), Bianchi, Pinarello, Cervelo, etc. All these manufacturers build FAR more frames than Serotta. And, most are aluminum, Taiwanese carbon or high production frames.

Plus, I doubt Serotta's business strategy is to grow to be a huge company selling off-the-rack bikes in Europe.

learlove
09-20-2006, 03:22 PM
I'm not a pro but I'd have to say that pro teams ride whatever pays the bills. Remember also some of the labels on pro bike are just that, label - not who made the bike.

As a pilot I'd love to fly the jet with best handeling and most power - ie best performance, however my company doesn't see it that way, thus I fly what pays the bills. Pros ride what pays the bills.

Archibald
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Hey everyone. I have a small dilemma on my hands. I have just recently upped the ante and purchased a Serotta Coeur d'Acier frame, which has drained my bank account to nearly nothing (I'm 19 working two jobs and taking 16 units in college). The most flak I am receiving is from my father, who really is doubting my wisdom in purchasing this frame :no: . First off, I was riding a Scott aluminum bike, which I purchased back in the summer of 2005. Basically, I used my money from high school graduation to purchase an entry-level road bike. Now, after working at a Serotta-sanctioned bike shop, I wanted to get outstanding quality for a valuable price. Basically, his argument is that if Serotta is such a great company, why aren't the pro teams riding Serottas in the Tour de France? Of course, I attempted to explain to him that the 7-Eleven team rode on Serottas, but that didn't faze him :crap: . I just am looking for justification why pro teams are not on Serottas. I understand that most of it has to do with sponsors, and I am aware that teams such as Kodak/Sierra Nevada and USPS Masters ride them, but what notable teams? Thanks for your help, people!

Pettit
Tell him, "Dad, it was either buy the bike or blow all my dough on coke. Do you want me to return the bike?"

Bill Bove
09-20-2006, 03:56 PM
Two jobs and a 16 credit load, God bless ya man :banana: You deserve the Serotta more than any pro.

Ti Designs
09-20-2006, 04:40 PM
I love it when people who know nothing about a subject strongly voice their opinion. I can't think of a better example of both quality and value than a Serotta, and there's a slight chance I know just a little more about cycling and/or bikes than your father. For what it's worth, I was never in the Tour de France either...

Climb01742
09-20-2006, 04:43 PM
if you're working two jobs while going to school, that earns you the right to spend your dough how_you_want to. your money, your choice.

Fat Robert
09-20-2006, 04:44 PM
with all respect

your dad is full of it

the cda is better made than a lot of stuff at that price point

you have a keeper

swoop
09-20-2006, 04:46 PM
dad, the bike game doesn't work that way. manufacturers pay teams a lot of money for the right to provide team bikes. like most things in ife, appearances can be deceiving. the difference betweena pro and a punter is that the punter gets to pick what he rides (you should have heard zabriskie ranting and lamenting his piece of crap cervelo r-2.5).

let daddy know that lance's trek and all the boys on disco.. had their bikes hand made in a seperate trek facility off the production line. let pops know that most guys go through several frames a season. let pops knw that the top dogs sometimes have custom bikes rebadged to look like the ones the team rides.

and then stop explaining.

if your dad did his job.. you will make good decisions. if you make crap ones you'll deal with it and learn. so what exactly is his problem?

show him the cost of your bike and the resale value. and then step back and ask yourself if.. no matter what the cost, this is the right bike for you, fior the riding you'll be doing. if you are racing.... there are some wonderful crashes and bike destroying traveling aead of you... and there might be other custom tools for the job.
mostly.. follow your heart.

atmo

Grant McLean
09-20-2006, 04:51 PM
Is the best music ever made played on top 40 radio?? Hardly.

Pro sports sponsorship is about $$$$

g

obtuse
09-20-2006, 04:55 PM
make pops buy you a c50 bike so you can compare and prove the o'l bistard wrong.

obtuse

shinomaster
09-20-2006, 05:04 PM
Maybe pro's don't care for neutral geometry?

swoop
09-20-2006, 05:14 PM
yeah.. i second obtuse. and sierra nevada is on merckx this year but serotta the two previous.

if you wanna rock daddy show him postal masters from afew years ago.. they raced on serottas too.

petitelilpettit
09-20-2006, 06:07 PM
Thank you so much for your information. I knew that Sierra Nevada now rides Merckx, but the Ottrott CX pic online is in their color. Sorry about the misinformation. But thanks again. I am really trying to explain this to him (considering I was given a Simonetti steel frame and paid $1200 for a Campy Centaur gruppo and Record hub/Velocity Aerohead wheels for him for Christmas and he doesn't ride it), but he doesn't seem to understand that I will be riding my Coeur d'Acier 20 years from now. I love my dad, but sometimes he is not the wisest. By the way, Archibald, I love the whole coke idea, but I don't think that will fly. And Swoop, I know what you mean how pros go to certain companies and have them covered to look like their sponsors. Two examples: Veloflex tires, and saddles. I know that most pros ride Veloflex, but they have specific sidewalls to make them look like Michelin, Vredestein... Also, I was overlooking an article about team Quick-Step (I didn't know that they are going to Cannondale for 2007. I have a feeling that Boonen's gonna go through a few Synapes). One of Boonen's teammates was riding an old Concor saddle, but had it altered to look like a Selle Italia SLR (not much of a disguise). Anyways, thanks again. Once I get my CDA, I will definitely post it on the forum. Anyone in SoCal, come on in to Kings Bicycle Store and see the beautiful Serottas!

Pettit

93legendti
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Thank you so much for your information. I knew that Sierra Nevada now rides Merckx, but the Ottrott CX pic online is in their color. Sorry about the misinformation. But thanks again. I am really trying to explain this to him (considering I was given a Simonetti steel frame and paid $1200 for a Campy Centaur gruppo and Record hub/Velocity Aerohead wheels for him for Christmas and he doesn't ride it), but he doesn't seem to understand that I will be riding my Coeur d'Acier 20 years from now. I love my dad, but sometimes he is not the wisest. By the way, Archibald, I love the whole coke idea, but I don't think that will fly. And Swoop, I know what you mean how pros go to certain companies and have them covered to look like their sponsors. Two examples: Veloflex tires, and saddles. I know that most pros ride Veloflex, but they have specific sidewalls to make them look like Michelin, Vredestein... Also, I was overlooking an article about team Quick-Step (I didn't know that they are going to Cannondale for 2007. I have a feeling that Boonen's gonna go through a few Synapes). One of Boonen's teammates was riding an old Concor saddle, but had it altered to look like a Selle Italia SLR (not much of a disguise). Anyways, thanks again. Once I get my CDA, I will definitely post it on the forum. Anyone in SoCal, come on in to Kings Bicycle Store and see the beautiful Serottas!

Pettit
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=14922&highlight=sierra

csm
09-20-2006, 07:07 PM
ferrari in nascar? does ferrari have a taxicab with a pushrod v-8? something that could take a little bumping?

Erik.Lazdins
09-20-2006, 08:09 PM
Illmore built the infamous pushrod V8 that won Indy in 1995 replete with 255 straightaway speeds but Mercedes-Benz wrote the check and got the credit.

More marketing money

The credit goes to the student carrying 16 hours, working and still wise enough to get a cool bike - Kudos to you!

ferrari in nascar? does ferrari have a taxicab with a pushrod v-8? something that could take a little bumping?

Fixed
09-20-2006, 08:33 PM
most kids don't care as long as they are free.
cheers

Samster
09-20-2006, 08:33 PM
maybe the thread is really about this (http://www.edwise.org/).

Needs Help
09-20-2006, 11:03 PM
he doesn't seem to understand that I will be riding my Coeur d'Acier 20 years from now.
Well, he probably understands more than you think. In 20 years, you won't even remember what Coeur d'Acier means. However, if things work out, you'll be doing fast group rides on an Meitrottci STXIII while running a $1 billion hedge fund.

d_douglas
09-21-2006, 07:17 AM
This was my justification over the last 20 years (holy ****, its been twenty years since I graduated from high school!)

I drank tons of beer and smoked bags o dope when i was in my late teens and early twenties, then somehow got into bikes and turned a healthy page in my life. I stopped smoking pot and drinking alcohol for about three years when I got in seriously good shape and spent all of my hard earned $10/hr earnings on bike goodies. I haven't smoked pot since, but now drink MAYBE one beer per week (its not my thing) and still maintain that the $60 that my buddies spend would be wasted on me, since me preference is to blow money on bike stuff.

When people would make fun of me for spending $80 on tires, I would explain that one night of hard partying (OK, two nights of light partying) would have cancelled that expense, they got it. My mom nagged me, but I said the same thing as Archibald: I could be blowing this on coke, but I am spending money on something that makes me happy and healthy. No arguments there.

I understand your predicament with your father (mine would do the same), but he knows you made the right choice. Hell - you're 17 and motivated - how can he complain about that!?

Skrawny
09-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I think the quote from one of the links said it well.
When one of the Kodak/SN guys was talking about the new sponsorship he said:

"Thanks to all the Serotta owners for all their support of the team last year and for years to come. Our new bikes are nice.....but come on, we were all on custom Ottrott's man!!!"

-s

telenick
09-21-2006, 10:53 AM
He's really only pissed that you haven't offered to let him take it for a spin.