PDA

View Full Version : seems like a good price - Reynolds Assault

bthornt
11-16-2017, 09:11 AM
618 bucks for a carbon wheelset

https://www.excelsports.com/main.asp?page=8&description=Assault+SLG+Carbon+Tubular+Wheelset+20 16&vendorCode=REYNOLDS&major=13&minor=2

Idris Icabod
11-16-2017, 09:14 AM
They're 2016 though, were wheels round back in 2016? :);)

velofinds
11-16-2017, 10:07 AM
Good price if clincher, maybe. Carbon tubular from any manufacturer not named Campagnolo, ENVE, or Zipp strike me as prime unsold inventory material.

rePhil
11-16-2017, 10:13 AM
I like them. I have been riding a narrow set of Assault clinchers without issue for over 10k. Still straight & true. I have read the KT hubs are not so great, and I don't know why. Super easy to lube the freehub.

R3awak3n
11-16-2017, 10:24 AM
I like them. I have been riding a narrow set of Assault clinchers without issue for over 10k. Still straight & true. I have read the KT hubs are not so great, and I don't know why. Super easy to lube the freehub.

also nice braking track on these.

mcteague
11-16-2017, 10:52 AM
also nice braking track on these.

As I understand it, only the 2018 models have the improved braking tracks.

Rim brake wheels incorporate our Cryogenic Glass Transition (CTg) braking surface and brake pads that provide cool braking temperatures, up to 53% cooler than non-CTg systems. This provides you with safe and predictable braking performance.

https://reynoldscycling.com/products/assault?variant=41047971533

Tim

R3awak3n
11-16-2017, 11:19 AM
As I understand it, only the 2018 models have the improved braking tracks.

Rim brake wheels incorporate our Cryogenic Glass Transition (CTg) braking surface and brake pads that provide cool braking temperatures, up to 53% cooler than non-CTg systems. This provides you with safe and predictable braking performance.

https://reynoldscycling.com/products/assault?variant=41047971533

Tim

I think they have had the CTG for 3-4 years. My attacks were from like 2015 and had it.

Add the big power blue pads and you will have very decent braking.

pjmsj21
11-16-2017, 11:34 AM
Would be even better if they had them in stock!

nmrt
11-16-2017, 01:47 PM
I thought that the reynolds cryo pads had really good braking with my reynolds ctg wheels. but that was until i tried swiss stop black prince. then i threw the reynolds cryo blue pads away. they were that bad. they stopped good. but they squealed and during long mountain pass descents i could feel them losing power.

I think they have had the CTG for 3-4 years. My attacks were from like 2015 and had it.

mcteague
11-16-2017, 02:05 PM

I may be wrong. The info I had was from this website:

https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/05/01/best-all-around-road-bike-wheels-2015/

Note: Some stores call this wheelset the Assault rather than the Assault SLG, which is what Reynolds calls it. It may indeed be the Assault SLG but I encourage you to double-check that it is before buying it. Prior to the redesign in 2014, Reynolds called the predecessor the Assault (no SLG) and the wheelset sported black lettering on a white background. There are still some of these last generation Assaults around for sale in stores but they are not the wheels I’m recommending. Performance Bike also private labels the older Assault. The last generation Assaults are V-profile, deeper rimmed (46mm), narrower width, different resin brake track wheels very different from these.

Tim

R3awak3n
11-16-2017, 02:08 PM
I thought that the reynolds cryo pads had really good braking with my reynolds ctg wheels. but that was until i tried swiss stop black prince. then i threw the reynolds cryo blue pads away. they were that bad. they stopped good. but they squealed and during long mountain pass descents i could feel them losing power.

well the black prince are great but on new wheels you will void your warranty. Also the power pads are much better than the normal pads.

@mcteague - but it says that after 2014 they changed them so I think after 2014 they all have the same brake track. I could be wrong.
These are 2016.

@pjmsj21 - not surprised, its a very good deal

tuscanyswe
11-16-2017, 02:13 PM
I may be wrong. The info I had was from this website:

https://intheknowcycling.com/2015/05/01/best-all-around-road-bike-wheels-2015/

Note: Some stores call this wheelset the Assault rather than the Assault SLG, which is what Reynolds calls it. It may indeed be the Assault SLG but I encourage you to double-check that it is before buying it. Prior to the redesign in 2014, Reynolds called the predecessor the Assault (no SLG) and the wheelset sported black lettering on a white background. There are still some of these last generation Assaults around for sale in stores but they are not the wheels I’m recommending. Performance Bike also private labels the older Assault. The last generation Assaults are V-profile, deeper rimmed (46mm), narrower width, different resin brake track wheels very different from these.

Tim

Edit never mind i read that quote wrong.. I think the slgs are 41mm and the previous generations were 46. There were a change to the brake track before the change of the rim profile as far as i remember it.