PDA

View Full Version : Biking on Drummond Island, Michigan

trophyoftexas
09-20-2006, 02:42 PM
I own some acreage on this island but haven't spent anytime up there in over 30 years. I know that there was considerable development up there about 15 years ago but to what extent it improved the roadways is something I know nothing about. Has anyone out there ever done any riding in this somewhat out of the way and isolated part of the Michigan UP? I'm sure that mountain biking is a possibility as there are extensive snowmobile trails all over the place....mountain biking would be a plus for me but most interested in nice, smoooooooooth road riding! Any opinions about spending a couple of days up there next summer when I go back up to do the Ride Around Tourch Lake with the CCCC folks?

Ginger
09-20-2006, 04:04 PM
Mountain or road?

I think your guy to contact would be Dan Harrison. I believe he's active on Drummond. PM me for his email addy.

Mary Ann

billrick
09-21-2006, 10:12 AM
Not exactly Drummond Island, but sort of nearby . . .

If you have your mountain bike and find yourself near the North Country Trail, do not miss a chance to ride this gem. Apparently this trail will run from NY all the way to the Dakotas when complete. I rode a section near Harbor Springs over the summer and it was some of the finest trail I have ever ridden. Beautiful swoopy woodlands singletrack. Can't vouch for the section in the UP, but if it is anything close, it is worth a trip.

:)

JohnS
09-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Not exactly Drummond Island, but sort of nearby . . .

If you have your mountain bike and find yourself near the North Country Trail, do not miss a chance to ride this gem. Apparently this trail will run from NY all the way to the Dakotas when complete. I rode a section near Harbor Springs over the summer and it was some of the finest trail I have ever ridden. Beautiful swoopy woodlands singletrack. Can't vouch for the section in the UP, but if it is anything close, it is worth a trip.

:)
Much of the NCT is hiking only. I did an 18 mile Dayhike-From-Hell on it a week ago.

Ginger
09-21-2006, 11:37 AM
The MMBA is working on maintaining mountain bike access on appropriate portions of the NCT.

Another trail in the area worth mention is the High Country Pathway. IMBA has added to the EPIC list (but not on their web site).
The Northern chapter is holding a group ride there September 30th.

Here is the post from their web site:

The International Mountain Bicycling Association has chosen the High Country Pathway as an Epic Ride for 2006. Handpicked as one of only four trails designated as Epic Rides in North America this year, the High Country Pathway is the first trail in Michigan to achieve legendary Epic Ride status! The Epic Ride designation is an honor given through a competitive application process. IMBA Epic rides are at the top of many mountain bikers' "must-ride" lists.

To celebrate the High Country Pathway’s epic status, the Northern Chapter of the Michigan Mountain Biking Association will be hosting a trail ride on September 30th. The featured ride will be a 45-mile ride of epic proportion. You will pass through a variety of woodlands and wetlands with a handful of hilltop views, lakes, streams and rivers too numerous to mention by name. This area is home to beaver, black bear, bobcat, pine martin, snowshoe hare, wood ducks, pileated woodpeckers, bald eagle, deer, wild turkey and the largest elk herd east of the Mississippi River. If this sounds like too great a distance, a number of shorter trail rides will be offered. This is some of the best mountain bike riding you will find in the United States.

We will be staying in the group campground at Clear Lake State Park. Located just 9½ miles north of Atlanta on M-33, this is an idea place to bring the whole family. There's a large central fire pit with benches, hand pump, and pit toilets. It is just a short walk to the hot showers, real toilets, sandy beach, trails, etc. If you are planning to bring a camper, plan to reserve a campsite in the regular campground.

Come help us celebrate a legendary trail – Michigan Style!

spiderlake
09-21-2006, 06:58 PM
If you haven't been there in 30 years then I'm willing to bet you won't recognize the island. Tom Monaghan, IMHO, ruined the island in the 80's when he built his corporate retreat. He's gone but his aftermath remains in the form of the Drummond Island Retreat. Okay, now that I have that rant out of the way - you can hit the road or the trails (100 miles of trails is the last I heard) on the island and I think you would enjoy both. My favorite activity on the island is kayaking. There are so many channels and little islands that you can spend days exploring the area.

I have a copy of the Trail Atlas of Michigan at the cottage. This book is the definitive guide for trails in the state. If you like, I can put together a listing of the trails on Drummond Island for you. Of course, you could probably get the same information locally but I'm throwing the offer out on the table. I'm heading up late tomorrow (Friday) so I could have the information out to you Saturday morning.

On a side note - did you ride the LHT?? Catch any of the race?