PDA

View Full Version : "Vintage" frame small parts sourcing - need Campy (or anything) dropout screws

54ny77
11-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Need to get me some threaded dropout screws for an older (1980's) Italian frame.

Any suggestions on thread size & pitch would be appreciated, so that I might try an alternative source (such as an RC car parts supplier).

Vientomas
11-15-2017, 12:54 PM
Need to get me some threaded dropout screws for an older (1980's) Italian frame.

Any suggestions on thread size & pitch would be appreciated, so that I might try an alternative source (such as an RC car parts supplier).

Would these work? https://framebuildersupply.com/collections/dropout-adjustment-screws/products/dropout-adjustment-screws

http://www.cycle-frames.com/bicycle-frame-tubing/COLUMBUS-DROPOUT-ADJUSTING-SCREW-SETS-WITH-SPRINGS.html

sales guy
11-15-2017, 12:54 PM

I get stainless ones from the local hardware store. BUT, they are slightly shorter by 5mm to 10mm. Just note that. If you want REAL Campy ones, Ebay. I can get them thru a distributor but they are just as expensive as ebay. And they will still rust out. Hence the stainless replacement idea.

Vientomas
11-15-2017, 01:00 PM
"Campy uses M3*0.5"

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-mechanics/274077-dropout-adjustment-screws.html

Don't know if that is accurate...

54ny77
11-15-2017, 01:14 PM
cool, thanks folks.

yes stainless will be my preference in this situation, nice as campy stuff is....

tctyres
11-15-2017, 01:16 PM
I bought a little bag of stainless at McMaster-Carr a few years ago. They are a standard thread and pitch.

unterhausen
11-15-2017, 04:44 PM
pretty sure you can get the Surly ones from your lbs

They seem to go for between $8, with $12 seemingly the norm on ebay. I should list some up and see if I can get $56 for a set like someone did recently. And it might finally be time to sell some 1010 dropouts

Kontact
11-15-2017, 06:23 PM
Half the time an older bike store will just have them in stock in the small parts bins. I'd call around locally.

thunderworks
11-15-2017, 09:49 PM
You can also order them via a link on Dave Moultons blog - packaged with springs, caps, etc.

54ny77
11-15-2017, 11:27 PM
thanks for the heads up, those are really nice. like the allen head and the fact that it's all stainless.

You can also order them via a link on Dave Moultons blog - packaged with springs, caps, etc.

sales guy
11-16-2017, 05:31 AM

Except they are only 25mm long. And that nut takes up more than the knurled one. The original length screw is 40mm. Most hardware stores have stainless phillips screws in 30 and 35mm.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2017, 06:14 AM

I have some, $18 shipped. NOS..like these.

54ny77
11-16-2017, 06:29 AM
Well that's good news since I ordered a pair...!!!

Hopefully they work.

Oldpotatoe I'll reach out if these thingamajigs don't work, thank you for the heads up. Speaking of little parts, you got any NOS Campy seat post binder bolts sitting around? If so I'm all ears, here or via PM.

Except they are only 25mm long. And that nut takes up more than the knurled one. The original length screw is 40mm. Most hardware stores have stainless phillips screws in 30 and 35mm.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2017, 06:50 AM

Hopefully they work.

Oldpotatoe I'll reach out if these thingamajigs don't work, thank you for the heads up. Speaking of little parts, you got any NOS Campy seat post binder bolts sitting around? If so I'm all ears, here or via PM.

I do but only 2 left and sorry, gonna hang onto those. :)

sales guy
11-16-2017, 06:53 AM

Hopefully they work.

With or without the key? I think I have one of each right now.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2017, 06:56 AM
With or without the key? I think I have one of each right now.

Don't think Campag ones ever had the 'key' and Sugino ones always did..AFAIK. Could be wrong..I know I always carried Campag and Sugino in shop..and ground key off the Sugino ones more than once.

54ny77
11-16-2017, 06:57 AM
No worries if the Moulton things dont work I'll go get stainless screws from local hardware store, I have a really good one nearby with a huge selection of hardware in drawers. A dying breed....

[Edit: what is a "key?"]

With or without the key? I
think I have one of each right now.

oldpotatoe
11-16-2017, 07:39 AM
No worries if the Moulton things dont work I'll go get stainless screws from local hardware store, I have a really good one nearby with a huge selection of hardware in drawers. A dying breed....

[Edit: what is a "key?"]

This

PBWrench
11-16-2017, 08:17 AM
OP right, of course! Campy binder bolts have no key.

sales guy
11-16-2017, 10:35 AM
The one I thought was a keyed one is a Campy on one side and a no logo on the other. Not sure how I got that when I ordered a Campy one. Oh well.