PDA

View Full Version : Look KG381i

saab2000
09-20-2006, 01:30 PM
I have the chance to get a lightly used Look KG381i for a pretty good price for my box o' components I have sitting in the garage. Unfortunately it is the Credit Agricole paint job. Not that it isn't OK, but I liked the industrial matte black finish better.

Other than the fact that it has been 'surpassed' by today's carbon technology, can anyone tell me anything about this bike? Good or bad? It has terrific reviews on rbr dot com.

It is a 2003. I could get it up and running with the purchase of a cable set and a chain and maybe a front der.

Anyone?

LegendRider
09-20-2006, 01:32 PM
I've never owned one, so this is hearsay. But, I understand them to be relatively heavy (for carbon) and flexy (i.e., small diameter tubes). I reckon they're comfortable and the geo looks stable.

TAW
09-20-2006, 03:39 PM
Had a kg 361, which is a similar bike I believe with a few tubing formation exceptions. It was very smooth, but was too flexible for my taste, and it's also not a lightweight. I believe the weight as slightly over 3 pounds for frame w/o fork. Very comfortable to ride, but not a lot of snap. I'm not sure if the 381 is different.

Dave
09-20-2006, 04:19 PM
I rode a 2003 KG381 in a 51cm size for two seasons. It rode and handled great. In the size I ride, LOOKs have a nearly perfect balance of quickness and stability. Large riders might complain about a lack of stiffness for sprinting, but at 135 lbs, it worked fine for me.

All LOOK frames were relatively heavy for carbon, until the 585 was introduced. Like the KG461 that I still have, the advertised total weight for the frame and fork is around 1850 grams or a hair over 4 lbs. Many of these frames were used by pros in the TDF, so how bad can they be?

Fat Robert
09-20-2006, 04:35 PM
you want what I'm getting, saab

wait a week

saab2000
09-20-2006, 05:12 PM
you want what I'm getting, saab

wait a week

I am curious what it will look like. I have an idea, but I am wondering what color.

Anyway, the Look is probably just another used bike in my arsenal. I am becoming a huge classified and eBay junkie. That is where the true bargains can be found.

Can you say Serotta CIII with custom paint job and O2 fork and King headset in nearly new condition for $611.00 including shipping? A new F3 fork is practically that much.

If I like what FatRobert gets I could get one too. Getting the Look won't preclude that.

Fat Robert
09-20-2006, 05:56 PM
edited

Ozz
09-20-2006, 06:06 PM
Fat boy,
It looks round.... :beer:

obtuse
09-20-2006, 06:12 PM
yo

its gonna look like this

but different

in a color and stuff

when people start knocking off dario-issimo you know he's reached gucci status imho.

obtuse

Fat Robert
09-20-2006, 06:17 PM
that's hateful

obtuse

don't set the fat man off

i've got one shoe

i just burned out my trainer

(with my crappy shoes)

i'm a dangerous fat man

Archibald
09-20-2006, 06:32 PM
yo

its gonna look like this

but different

in a color and stuff
Those tubes look paper thin. Probably flexy too. You could crease those tube without even trying. God help you if it gets wet.

:banana:

Fat Robert
09-20-2006, 06:38 PM
Those tubes look paper thin. Probably flexy too. You could crease those tube without even trying. God help you if it gets wet.

and i don't get why there's no left side to it, either

stevep
09-20-2006, 06:45 PM
those old looks are pretty primitive carbon. thick, small diameter tubes, heavy thick lugs, whippy. probably ok for a small rider.
new stuff has far surpassed those things.
better be really cheap. it will become a foul weather rig or you will relaunch it on ebay after 4 rides.

slowgoing
09-20-2006, 06:47 PM
when people start knocking off dario-issimo you know he's reached gucci status imho.

obtuse

Knock off because of the breezer dropouts? Don't quite a few builders use them, including Carl Strong?

theprep
09-21-2006, 09:08 AM
My best friend rides one and the aluminum lugs are corroding away. The black paint is lifting up. Even when clean it looks like a$$.

saab2000
09-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Well, I haven't heard back from the seller for a while. So maybe it ain't gonna happen. Has carbon really advanced a lot in the past 3-4 years? Maybe it has. I know that some of the bikes (Seven and Orbea to name just two) have gotten hella ugly in the past 3 years. The Look is at least sort of normal looking.

Climb01742
09-21-2006, 12:59 PM
a former rep for look never spoke very highly of the pre-585 frames. the knock was, as others have said, heavy and old carbon tech.

Archibald
09-21-2006, 01:06 PM
If you get one of those Looks, make sure you get the team kit that goes with it:

http://img.game.goo.ne.jp/contents/news/NGN20060424exp25/20060424_25_01.jpg

vaxn8r
09-21-2006, 02:05 PM
a former rep for look never spoke very highly of the pre-585 frames. the knock was, as others have said, heavy and old carbon tech.
I've heard the same things...

OttrottAZ
09-21-2006, 10:14 PM
I road Team Kelme color 381 (now my backup) before purchasing Ottrott ST in late '03.

Real nice ride with D/A and Ksyrium SL's. Still love the bike. Not the lightest. Not twitchy, nice descender (adjustable wheelbase length).

If the price is right don't hesitate. I liked the Laurent Jalabert color scheme best - I think 2003.

Good Luck.

chrisroph
09-21-2006, 10:57 PM
I had (still own but out on loan) a 281. Sure, it's not as light or advanced as the new carbon machines but it rides well, pretty good geo, 72.5 sta and 74 up front, pretty quick, good weight dist. with the saddle back, torsionally stiffer than the majestic, lighter than steel, very well made with shaped tubes, won't break from looking at it, definitely not your weight weenie special. If you want to try some carbon and get a good deal, why not? It was good enough for jaja and scads of teams in the tdf.

stevep
09-22-2006, 07:30 AM
csc rode these bikes in their early years.
i weighed a team bike ( 52cm ).
the whole bike weighed 20 pounds ( no water, etc ) just the bike ready to race.
3-4 pounds heavier than almost anything else raced in the big mts.
many riders used redecaled other stuff to get into the weight ball park that they needed to be in.

saab2000
09-22-2006, 07:38 AM
I rode a KG96 (or I think that is what it was) back in the late 80s. It may have been flexible, but I noticed that it was also lively in a good way. Hard to describe, but the bike had a good feel to it.

If the seller goes for my offered price I will buy the bike just to see what it's like. If it sucks I can get rid of it. No loss as there is only one part I will really have to buy to get this thing up and running and that will probably run me less than $30 on eBay.

weisan
09-22-2006, 07:52 AM
I had (still own but out on loan) a 281. Sure, it's not as light or advanced as the new carbon machines but it rides well, pretty good geo, 72.5 sta and 74 up front, pretty quick, good weight dist. with the saddle back, torsionally stiffer than the majestic, lighter than steel, very well made with shaped tubes, won't break from looking at it, definitely not your weight weenie special. If you want to try some carbon and get a good deal, why not? It was good enough for jaja and scads of teams in the tdf.

My experience too. The KG281 that is. I like it. Of late, my lower back problem is acting up again, had been riding the carbon bike more often to soak up the road buzz and take off the edge from the pain.

I have seen the 281 frame/fork sold for less than $200 on eBay, that makes me cry. No doubt, it's old technology circa.1998-1999 but for anybody who wishes to get an intro into carbon without spending too much coin, I highly recommend this bike. What I like best about this bike is the stability. Once it winds up to cruising speed, it stays there. Diesel-engine-type riders would love it.

I have heard more than one people said the frame is "flexy", but for all 150 pounds of me and the what-little power I generate, it wasn't a problem at all.

Main differences between 281 and 381?
- Integrated HS introduced to 381
- New HSC4 LOOK fork. 1.125" steerer tube
- Instead of aluminium lugs, carbon lugs were used at the joints

Also, an old thread on similar subject:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=2220

Interesting self-promo link:
http://www.lookcycle.com/v3/entreprise_accueil_02_en.htm

Just my two cents. Don't take my word for it. Try it yourself!

weisan ;)

LegendRider
09-22-2006, 08:22 AM
many riders used redecaled other stuff to get into the weight ball park that they needed to be in.

I recall Tyler's Look-badged Parlee at the Giro...

saab2000
09-22-2006, 08:25 AM
Weisan, Thanks for the links and the comments.

Did you ever make a decision about the flying? Sorry I could not offer more encouragement. Just was being honest about the business.

chrisroph
09-22-2006, 08:57 AM

Interesting. My 58cm 281, full chorus, 32 op clinchers, 300 gm saddle, ac seatpost, 2 cages, absolutely no ww parts, weighed 18 on several different scales.

weisan
09-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Weisan, Thanks for the links and the comments.

Did you ever make a decision about the flying? Sorry I could not offer more encouragement. Just was being honest about the business.

Saab-pal, you have been more than helpful, I am thankful for that. It's funny you asked, after we talked, I kinda put that on the backburner. On my way back from the DBRK Rambler, I sat beside a Brit who is studying the "manual" getting ready for the theory test. He's probably in his 50s, we got into a conversation and realized he is a lawyer by profession, who is trying to fulfill one of his life-long dreams in getting a pilot license. I think I will do the same... :D For now, flying remains a dream.

I looked up "past completed transactions" on Ebay, a most recent sale fetches around $300 with the full frame and fork. You might want to use that as a reference.

If I remember correctly some of the things you mentioned in your previous posts, weight is not on your highest priority, but things like being able to get down real long and low, so might want to take a look at the headtube. Also, I think you like to "muscle" the bike to speed in excess of >30mph and keep it there for a long while -- kinda like Fabien Cancellara-type rider. So, you might find the bike a bit sluggish or flexy while you do the "muscling" but once you get it up to speed, you should be happy there.

Hope this helps...everything is just my uneducated guess.

weisan

weisan
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Interesting. My 58cm 281, full chorus, 32 op clinchers, 300 gm saddle, ac seatpost, 2 cages, absolutely no ww parts, weighed 18 on several different scales.

ditto.