PDA

View Full Version : Rapha or Assos

dsimon
11-14-2017, 03:39 PM
hahah not again!!!!!
I have both in bibs but quick question about the 3/4 knickers are they both comparable to there shorts? If So Ill pick up which ever is cheaper. your opinion somewhat matters. thanks:help:

earlfoss
11-14-2017, 03:42 PM
voler

FlashUNC
11-14-2017, 03:45 PM
Have used both shorts and knickers from both (just got a set of S7 Mille.Tiburus actually).

Very similar in both. I prefer the Assos just more for the pad. But the knickers in both are pretty great.

Fwiw, Rapha replaced a set of knickers paramedics cut off me after a crash at a killer price. Didn't have to do that when I called the US HQ, but they went out of their way to make sure my gear got replaced.

bikeridah
11-14-2017, 04:17 PM
What a coincidence, I've been searching for a 2nd pair of Assos knickers. Where did you get the S7s?

Have used both shorts and knickers from both (just got a set of S7 Mille.Tiburus actually).

Very similar in both. I prefer the Assos just more for the pad. But the knickers in both are pretty great.

Fwiw, Rapha replaced a set of knickers paramedics cut off me after a crash at a killer price. Didn't have to do that when I called the US HQ, but they went out of their way to make sure my gear got replaced.

berserk87
11-14-2017, 04:19 PM
voler

Hey - no joke - I have a pair of Voler bib knickers that are great. And I'm a pretty big Rapha fan. The Voler knickers are the best product they make (the fleece lined ones, anyway). Can't beat the price either.

pdmtong
11-14-2017, 04:52 PM
here in the bay area it does not get as cold as where you are. I use the rapha CX 3/4 in our "winter" unless it is raining or really wet, then I use full length bibs just for coverage.

rapha no longer makes the Cyclocross 3/4 but I found the thinner fleecy material perfect for my needs.

i also have the heavier classic 3/4 bibs - these are really warm and very nice but they are indeed heavier. so I dont wear them quite as much.

no idea on assos, but when rapha is on sale (when I bought mine), it is hard to beat.

CNY rider
11-14-2017, 05:18 PM
I ride both bibs and Rapha Classic bibs are my all time favorite.
I have Assos knickers, ancient, and they're the best knickers I have ever owned.
I have never tried Rapha knickers but I have their winter tights (sans pad) and I don't like the way they fit.
So that probably helps not at all but there you go.

FlashUNC
11-14-2017, 05:23 PM
What a coincidence, I've been searching for a 2nd pair of Assos knickers. Where did you get the S7s?

Excel and Competitive Cyclist both had them on sale. I think the Assos factory outlet is blowing them out too.

rwsaunders
11-14-2017, 10:51 PM
I've never been able to find a pair of Assos bib knickers that go much past the knee. Is there a trick that I'm missing when ordering?

FlashUNC
11-14-2017, 11:05 PM
I've never been able to find a pair of Assos bib knickers that go much past the knee. Is there a trick that I'm missing when ordering?

Depends on your size. But the XLG is their XL size in a longer length.

Louis
11-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Primal Wear, or nothing:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1441/5702/products/dogeatcog_grande.jpg?v=1494526970

ltwtsculler91
11-15-2017, 07:51 AM

They size by height technically so it can be tough if you're longer legged. I wear mediums, and they're just below the knee which is alright. The ideal solution is to get the Tiburu thermal bib shorts and add knee warmers...

That said. Personally I'd try to score a pair of last year's Assos Tiburu knickers if you can. Many places have them on sale and they're just awesome. Thermal waffle texture fabric and the best colder weather idea ever: the windproof front panel over the crotch.

For 2017/18 they've changed them to be based on the Mille bibs so they get a downgrade in pad, and lose the windproof panel but also go down in price. Reasoning is that the guys who would appreciate the racier fit from last year would go for thermal bibs plus knee/leg warmers versus knickers

bikeridah
11-15-2017, 08:26 AM
Excel and Competitive Cyclist both had them on sale. I think the Assos factory outlet is blowing them out too.

Most US retailers are sold out or only have smaller sizes.

In case others are on the hunt for the windproof ones, be sure to get the "TK.TiburuKnickers S7" and not the one's with Mille in the name.

EDIT: I just ordered the last pair in XL from xxcycles for 30% off. All other sizes are still in stock.

https://www.xxcycle.com/assos-tktiburuknickers-s7-bibknickers-black,,en.php