PDA

View Full Version : Is the ITM Eclypse chrome played or polished steel?

TronnyJenkins
11-12-2017, 09:28 PM
Anyone know? I've got one I would love to polish to a mirror shine. I tried some Mother's polish on it carefully and it had black residue...

Mike V
11-12-2017, 09:40 PM
They made the out of three different materials. What one do you have?

Steel was plated and powder coated.
Aluminum was polished and anodized.
Titanium was raw.

oliver1850
11-13-2017, 01:23 AM
I've never seen an Eclypse made of anything other than steel. ITM's titanium quill stem was called Krystal. There were of course many AL models, both numbered and named, just not Eclypse. I believe nickel plating is the silver finish on the Eclypse, and that the black ones are painted but may be plated underneath the paint. You won't get nickel to shine like chrome or even highly polished AL, but it should look pretty good. One of my favorite stems - I've got several quill and at least one black threadless.

TronnyJenkins
11-13-2017, 06:31 AM
I've never seen an Eclypse made of anything other than steel. ITM's titanium quill stem was called Krystal. There were of course many AL models, both numbered and named, just not Eclypse. I believe nickel plating is the silver finish on the Eclypse, and that the black ones are painted but may be plated underneath the paint. You won't get nickel to shine like chrome or even highly polished AL, but it should look pretty good. One of my favorite stems - I've got several quill and at least one black threadless.

Thanks. My dilemma is it has a few mild scratches and mild pits. The logos are a bit worn as well so I was thinking I would buff that sucker for kind of a poor man's Grammo look. Really, the stem and bars I'm replacing are both black and that looks slick so I may paint it.