PDA

View Full Version : Slim Chance build suggestions.

Hobine
11-12-2017, 06:53 AM
So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

I have a 1997 Fat Chance Yo Eddy Mtn and always wanted a Slim Chance Road.
Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj531/Hiobine/Slim/A2E7DD5B-5B0F-40DE-B14F-AB920E4466BC_zps8pbj8dap.png (http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Hiobine/media/Slim/A2E7DD5B-5B0F-40DE-B14F-AB920E4466BC_zps8pbj8dap.png.html)

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.

Cicli
11-12-2017, 06:56 AM
Campagnolo or Shimano. There really isnt any other choice.
sHram sucks.

My vote is for a Ultegra group and some nice low profile carbon wheels.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2017, 06:58 AM
So a few years back I got rid of all my road stuff as it wasn’t getting any use. I had a Raleigh Professional set up single speed for commuting and a 2004 or so Titus Modena with Campy Chorus.

Well this thing will be here soon and since I’ll be starting from scratch, I’m debating how to build it up.
http://i1266.photobucket.com/albums/jj531/Hiobine/Slim/A2E7DD5B-5B0F-40DE-B14F-AB920E4466BC_zps8pbj8dap.png (http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/Hiobine/media/Slim/A2E7DD5B-5B0F-40DE-B14F-AB920E4466BC_zps8pbj8dap.png.html)

I’m not in a hurry to build it, most likely be a winter project as I gather parts here and there and build up a set of wheels.
Originally I was leaning towards a Campy group mostly because that’s what I’ve used in the past and I do think it’s the best looking. Now I’m leaning a bit towards something like SRAM Force because of cost and availability.

Silver Potenza or Centaur...sweet..if you need wheels built, let me know. :)

bewheels
11-12-2017, 07:10 AM
Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.

Cicli
11-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Are you trying to keep it somewhat true to the era or use modern components?

Most of us will picture this bike with components of its time simply because that is how we saw them at that point in time. Such as a Mavis road group.
That doesn’t mean that you to stick with that. It would also look nice with the new black Ultegra group and black wheels.

Its a new frame. The era is now.

Hobine
11-12-2017, 07:36 AM
Its a new frame. The era is now.

It is a new frame that just looks classic.

Why is SRAM junk? I’ve got 3 mountain bikes with SRAM and they’re all excellent.
For mountain I like SRAM over Shimano. My Haanjo grinder has a Force 10sp shifter mounted to a mountain RD. Works perfect.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Shimano Road. I hated how the cables used to stick out, but I believe that’s changed.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-12-2017, 07:46 AM
Alloy 10 Speed Campy, Centaur on up. Akelman's got some sweet kit on the block.

R3awak3n
11-12-2017, 08:07 AM
It is a new frame that just looks classic.

Why is SRAM junk? I’ve got 3 mountain bikes with SRAM and they’re all excellent.
For mountain I like SRAM over Shimano. My Haanjo grinder has a Force 10sp shifter mounted to a mountain RD. Works perfect.
I don’t have a lot of experience with Shimano Road. I hated how the cables used to stick out, but I believe that’s changed.

trust me, you don't want to start this here.

on topic. that frame looks awesome, love the fade. Really build it as you want, if you want sram, get sram. If you like campy but don't want to spend the money, look in the classifieds. You can score very well priced campy. You could be all in on a nice 11 speed chorus group for less than force new.

Then I would do a nice wheel, some boyd ceramics or some belgiums or something along those lines. Its going to be an awesome bike.

RIP true temper

jtbadge
11-12-2017, 08:17 AM
I think Force 22 would look awesome on that frame. 11 speed SRAM is reliable, lightweight, and functional. Don't let the s***-stirrers on this forum convince you not to ride what you like.

simonov
11-12-2017, 08:39 AM
I think Force 22 would look awesome on that frame. 11 speed SRAM is reliable, lightweight, and functional. Don't let the s***-stirrers on this forum convince you not to ride what you like.

This. I've got years of use and abuse on Force 22 groups an I think they're one of the best bangs for the buck out there. And double-tap works really well on a go-fast road bike. I think that frame would look great with a Force 22 group and some shallow, black rimmed wheels. Something like a Mavic Pro Ksyrium SL Exalith or a DT Oxic.

macaroon
11-12-2017, 08:54 AM
The SRAM stuff is decent, but the chainsets just look awful, as do Shimano's, and the new Campag alloy ones.

I think it needs carbon Chorus!

Hilltopperny
11-12-2017, 09:15 AM
I'd throw 11spd athena or 6800 works fantastic and both can be had for a decent price as well. Really depends on your preference. I have used sram sparingly on a bike I picked up a few years back and it worked fine, but if I was going sram I'd etap it. Nice color choice and the frameset looks awesome.

mhespenheide
11-12-2017, 12:28 PM

If cost is a consideration, personally I'd build it up with black Shimano 5800 but a SRAM crank. That frame and paint deserves to be the center of attention. Plenty of nice black 11-speed wheels in the classifieds here, too.
But those are my aesthetics, and everyone is different.

jtakeda
11-12-2017, 12:58 PM
I’d do all black.

Carbon campy and black wheels

yetitotheheady
11-12-2017, 02:46 PM
Sram Force 22 seems like a great idea to me

choke
11-12-2017, 03:12 PM
If that was mine I'd be searching the classifieds and eBay for silver Campy 10sp.

Hobine
11-12-2017, 03:13 PM
I’d do all black.

Thanks for the suggestions all!

All Black was definitely my first thought, and the Chorus group was my first choice.
I’ve been looking at used and will definitely do that where I can.
Only reason I began to consider Force was when comparing the prices, both new and used. Campy RDs and Cassettes are high.
With my mountain bikes, I don’t go too high end on components subject to damage and high wear. I suppose on a road machine the RD and cassette will last much longer so spending more might not be too bad.
I think I’m talking myself back into Campy!

I have been looking at the classifieds here, but need to get more posts before I can partake.

bewheels
11-12-2017, 04:44 PM
https://goo.gl/images/VuZxSZ

macaroon
11-12-2017, 04:59 PM

All Black was definitely my first thought, and the Chorus group was my first choice.
Only reason I began to consider Force was when comparing the prices, both new and used. Campy RDs and Cassettes are high.
With my mountain bikes, I don’t go too high end on components subject to damage and high wear. I suppose on a road machine the RD and cassette will last much longer so spending more might not be too bad.

I have been looking at the classifieds here, but need to get more posts before I can partake.

11 speed Shimano cassettes work perfectly with Campagnolo 11 speed.

Hobine
11-12-2017, 05:02 PM
11 speed Shimano cassettes work perfectly with Campagnolo 11 speed.

Good to know, thanks.

Kontact
11-12-2017, 05:33 PM
I like SRAM road stuff. It works great.

But if I could make modest suggestion:
Don't use a groupset.

Pick a shifter/derailleur set, and then use aftermarket/unusual cranks and calipers. Sugino, Stronglight, FSA, Rotor. Zero Gravity, Token, etc.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hTyj3OL-9CE/TTdRa7xVEII/AAAAAAAABCk/bC_Qqt0fJe8/s1600/sugino_crank_ox801d_1.jpg

http://www.tufonorthamerica.biz/images/Neg%20GSL%20red.jpg

http://chavezcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/crankset.jpg

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/0/5/mavic-ssc-brake-set-front-rear-road-bike-dual-pivot-caliper-916bce57b2fae1f46376b5aa8133539a.jpg

There is a real joy in having an unconventional bike where every part was selected rather than dictated by the group you bought. And if you want to use green anodized hubs or something like that they will fit in better with an eclectic blend of parts.

It is an unusual and fun frame. I'd stay with that theme and build something unique.

jumphigher
11-12-2017, 05:55 PM
Sweet frame, that's gonna make a killer road bike. Good luck with your build. :)

FlashUNC
11-12-2017, 06:22 PM
eTap.

johnniecakes
11-12-2017, 06:28 PM
R8000 with RS 81 C24 wheels. Super combination.

Tony
11-12-2017, 07:07 PM

Don't use a groupset.

Pick a shifter/derailleur set, and then use aftermarket/unusual cranks and calipers. Sugino, Stronglight, FSA, Rotor. Zero Gravity, Token, etc.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_hTyj3OL-9CE/TTdRa7xVEII/AAAAAAAABCk/bC_Qqt0fJe8/s1600/sugino_crank_ox801d_1.jpg

http://d2ydh70d4b5xgv.cloudfront.net/images/0/5/mavic-ssc-brake-set-front-rear-road-bike-dual-pivot-caliper-916bce57b2fae1f46376b5aa8133539a.jpg

There is a real joy in having an unconventional bike where every part was selected rather than dictated by the group you bought. And if you want to use green anodized hubs or something like that they will fit in better with an eclectic blend of parts.

It is an unusual and fun frame. I'd stay with that theme and build something unique.

This!

bikinchris
11-12-2017, 08:33 PM
Campagnolo or Shimano. There really isnt any other choice.
sHram sucks.

My vote is for a Ultegra group and some nice low profile carbon wheels.

Use SRAM because Shimano is the evil empire and Campagnolo is too expensive. Buy American parts for your American bike. In fact, buy every single piece possible from an American owned company.

Velocity, HED, Rolf, Zipp etc. for rims. Chris King hubs and BB or American Classic hubs. Fizik saddle, Thomson bars, stem and seatpost and full SRAM gruppo. eTap for a bonus.

Pegoready
11-12-2017, 08:38 PM
I think Force 22 is a great idea. Don't listen to people telling you to get used vintage stuff. That is a wormhole and a crapshoot; you might get a great group but then again you might get a project requiring troubleshooting. A new group for your new bike is the way to go. It think the ergonomics of the Force levers are excellent and it will look good on this frame.

Kontact
11-12-2017, 10:32 PM
I think Force 22 is a great idea. Don't listen to people telling you to get used vintage stuff. That is a wormhole and a crapshoot; you might get a great group but then again you might get a project requiring troubleshooting. A new group for your new bike is the way to go. It think the ergonomics of the Force levers are excellent and it will look good on this frame.

Who said to get used stuff?

m4rk540
11-12-2017, 11:05 PM

Don't use a groupset.

No, 1000x no. Overall, but mostly on the Ted brakes.

And, avoid the fake American completist urge by going SRAM. Just get Ultegra R8000, done. The frame deserves components which work now and 50K miles later.

weaponsgrade
11-12-2017, 11:05 PM
Was this the eBay one? I so wanted to hit the buy it now button. I'm liking the idea of going all aftermarket. My vote is a Campy Chorus shifting, EE brakes, PMP seatpost, THM cranks, Tune hubs, etc.

weisan
11-13-2017, 05:38 AM
I would put whatever I can lay my hands on or have around in my parts bin to get this functional and on the road riding in the shortest possible time. I hardly ever let a frame sit for more than 1-2 days without completing the build. That's just my style. But then again, that might not be a fair expectation for you or some people as I often have at least anywhere between 5-6 "spare" complete groupsets and wheels sitting around that I can use for a build anytime.

Hobine
11-13-2017, 05:52 AM
Was this the eBay one? I so wanted to hit the buy it now button. I'm liking the idea of going all aftermarket. My vote is a Campy Chorus shifting, EE brakes, PMP seatpost, THM cranks, Tune hubs, etc.

If I was going to order my dream Slim it would have the Aqua Fade paint, a genuine Chris Ingleheart segmented fork and 54.5 TT. Unfortunately to get that would have been well out of my budget.
When I saw this on the Bay, my jaw hit the floor.
I contacted Chris Chance to verify the geometry and warranty and that’s all it took.
I’ll be building up a life long dream bike of mine.
Haven’t been this giddy about a build in 20 years.

Hobine
11-13-2017, 05:59 AM
I’m enjoying everyone’s suggestions and having fun looking up stuff I’m not familiar with.
Those Sugino cranks are very nice!
Appreciate the help and responses from everyone!

Other than future proofing, is there a good reason to go 11 speed over 10? I know they’ll be less of a jump between gears, but I’m not racing so no big deal.

Cicli
11-13-2017, 06:04 AM
I’m enjoying everyone’s suggestions and having fun looking up stuff I’m not familiar with.
Those Sugino cranks are very nice!
Appreciate the help and responses from everyone!

Other than future proofing, is there a good reason to go 11 speed over 10? I know they’ll be less of a jump between gears, but I’m not racing so no big deal.

For now, 11 speed is the norm. For now. I would not build a new bike with parts I didnt already have on 10 speed. Ignore the extra cog. Alot of times the 11 speed groups just shift and ride better. Maybe not Campagnolo but the others do. Even sHram.

oldpotatoe
11-13-2017, 06:43 AM

Black Potenza if you don't wish to have carbon. Chorus if you do..2 REAT choices, the best, IMHO.

Potenza and Veloce 11s cogsets are coming plus even Chorus works very well, lasts a long time..about the $100(or less) mark. Apples for apples, considering materials, Campag RDers aren't that much more expensive.

purpurite
11-13-2017, 12:14 PM

Agreed, I love the 1x SRAM Force setup on my CX. It's fantastic, and I have NEVER had a complaint about it.

jtbadge
11-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Nice deal on a Force 22 group in the Classifieds:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=213447

Hobine
11-13-2017, 06:28 PM
That is a good deal. I’m still going back and forth.

Does anyone know if the Campag 10 speed Chorus UT cranks work with the new 11 speed?

choke
11-13-2017, 07:10 PM
That is a good deal. I’m still going back and forth.

Does anyone know if the Campag 10 speed Chorus UT cranks work with the new 11 speed?It will work fine. My only 11sp bike has a Campy 9/10 square taper crank and I've had no problems.

DHallerman
11-14-2017, 10:27 AM
I’d do all black.

I'd do all silver. Or as much as possible.

In my eyes, colors like green and blue -- this Slim -- go with silver, but not really with black.

Dave, who has a black Slim Chance which changes that color equation

weaponsgrade
11-14-2017, 12:59 PM
If I was going to order my dream Slim it would have the Aqua Fade paint, a genuine Chris Ingleheart segmented fork and 54.5 TT. Unfortunately to get that would have been well out of my budget.
When I saw this on the Bay, my jaw hit the floor.
I contacted Chris Chance to verify the geometry and warranty and that’s all it took.
I’ll be building up a life long dream bike of mine.
Haven’t been this giddy about a build in 20 years.

The first Fat City I saw in person was an Aqua Fade Yo Eddy at Dirty Harry's bike shop outside Pittsburgh. I couldn't get it at the time, but in the years since I've picked up a Yo Eddy from about the same vintage along with too many other bikes. I wish I could've found a home here for that Slim, but alas, the bike slush fund was empty. It's nice to see that it went to someone here. I met Chris a few months ago on a vintage mtn bike ride and got to demo the new 27.5+ Yo. Very nice. Be sure to post some pics after the build!

donevwil
11-14-2017, 03:21 PM
.... Be sure to post some pics after the build!

Heck, I'd like some more frameset pics right now! That thing is beautiful. I think stem choice is more important than group, but with a black headset and post clamp I'd go black a'la pre-4 spoke Campy Record/Chorus.

Saw an original at a shop in Ft. Collins, CO a hundred years ago and was smitten, but was beyond my means at the time. The current XXL would fit me perfectly.

Hobine
11-14-2017, 05:13 PM
I’ll definitely be posting up more pics when I actually have the frame in hand! It’s still on its way. Should be here Thursday or Friday.
Gonna be hard to sneak that paint job past the chief financial officer!

sipmeister
11-14-2017, 06:16 PM
I’ll definitely be posting up more pics when I actually have the frame in hand! It’s still on its way. Should be here Thursday or Friday.
Gonna be hard to sneak that paint job past the chief financial officer!

"Chief Financial Officer!"

That's funny and I know exactly what you mean. Been there.

Hobine
11-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Well the shifting duty will be handled by Chorus 11 speed. Picked up some new 2015 shifters and derailleurs.
Still working on brakes, wheels, cockpit and so on.

Drmojo
11-16-2017, 05:38 PM
Well the shifting duty will be handled by Chorus 11 speed. Picked up some new 2015 shifters and derailleurs.
Still working on brakes, wheels, cockpit and so on.

Or mix and match----glorious frame no matter what you choose to "finish" it with.
SOOO sweet

Hobine
11-16-2017, 06:36 PM
It’ll most definitely have a mix n match aspect to it. I tend to get my bikes together somewhat quickly and then slowly make it the way I want.

The frame arrived today and looks so much nicer than the pics. When I have a chance I’ll get a few more up.

Hobine
11-24-2017, 02:47 PM
Finally took a couple pics today. Sorry about the lousy IPad quality.
Sprayed Corrosion X in the seat tube and other areas that were accessible.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171124/d3c2000c957f93daf0d1fa39619f72c4.jpg
This particular frame has a braze on, which I like.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171124/4347c25230ba8f299983a8c95d01a077.jpg
Stainless head badge.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171124/6f8484ea7d0e755115a650a986d50428.jpg

cueoner
11-24-2017, 03:38 PM
Wow, the frame looks amazing! Love that fade. I was going to recommend an 11s silver Campy group but a black Campy group would match the headset nicely. Good luck with the build, can't wait to see it finished!

Hobine
11-29-2017, 04:46 PM
Some progress on the build. Actually took it for a shakedown spin around the block. Excuse the crappy old parts bin bar tape and pedals. Waiting on the bar, seat post and proper tape. I also need to decide on pedals, been a while since I’ve had road shoes and pedals.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171129/3f1427d29c3ba316b1115ecc71bedcdb.jpg

rshak
01-15-2018, 02:50 PM

SRAM is not in the same league as Shimano or Campy for build quantity. I have both Sram Force and Rival on different bikes and the front shifter requires more TLC in cold weather (30-45F).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xander1027
01-15-2018, 03:01 PM
Sorry if this is off subject, but who is building these frames now?

weaponsgrade
01-15-2018, 03:15 PM
Sorry if this is off subject, but who is building these frames now?

I believe it's Co-Motion.