PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me some cheap carbon rims

ceolwulf
11-11-2017, 08:40 PM
It isn't quite a tradition yet but I'm working on it - I'd like to build another set of wheels again this winter. This time I want to take a bold step into the future or at least the somewhat more recent past and use carbon rims. I'd like to build a set of "climbing wheels" because that's exactly what a fat lad living in flatland needs the most*. So shallow profile tubular and as light as possible. However I'm chronically broke so the market segment I'm looking it is basically "one step above eBay no-name". Can anyone suggest good options along this line, preferably that you've used yourself?

Hubs I'll probably use bikehubstore again as am very happy with those on my previous build.

*also because I plan to do a gran fondo in the mountains next summer and will need all the help I can get.

cribbit
11-11-2017, 08:52 PM
A lot of those "ebay no name" chinese wheels actually have their own websites where they sell them even cheaper, and some of them have been around long enough to have a track record.

Kontact
11-11-2017, 09:47 PM
If you want ultralight and cheap, wouldn't aluminum tubular rims be better?

I get that carbon rims are cool, though.

ceolwulf
11-11-2017, 09:53 PM
If you want ultralight and cheap, wouldn't aluminum tubular rims be better?

They very well might be. I never claimed that this made any sense.

Andy sti
11-11-2017, 11:19 PM
I'd go with Light Bicycle for rims or wheels. Seem to have the best rep of the Chinese wheels/rims.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2017, 05:32 AM
It isn't quite a tradition yet but I'm working on it - I'd like to build another set of wheels again this winter. This time I want to take a bold step into the future or at least the somewhat more recent past and use carbon rims. I'd like to build a set of "climbing wheels" because that's exactly what a fat lad living in flatland needs the most*. So shallow profile tubular and as light as possible. However I'm chronically broke so the market segment I'm looking it is basically "one step above eBay no-name". Can anyone suggest good options along this line, preferably that you've used yourself?

Hubs I'll probably use bikehubstore again as am very happy with those on my previous build.

*also because I plan to do a gran fondo in the mountains next summer and will need all the help I can get.

Might take a look at these. I have never built or used them but talked to a few who have and them sound like good rims for not much $.

http://www.offthefrontracingsystems.com/carbon-clincher-rims/

gavingould
11-12-2017, 08:53 AM
i've got a couple sets of wheels built with Light Bicycle rims.
they've held up under my large carcass and the guy i had build them said they were pretty good to build.

echelon_john
11-12-2017, 09:03 AM
I've built several sets using Off the Front and Light-Bicycle rims and found them to be well-made and easy to build. No problems for the riders I built for that I'm aware of, and these wheels go back a couple of years.

cornice6
11-12-2017, 09:25 AM
Farsports (https://www.wheelsfar.com/) rims might be another option. I've been using two sets for a couple of years now without any issues. One on a road bike (38mm) and one on a tri bike (60mm/80mm). Ordered just the rims and had them built with my own hubs.

stien
11-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Yeah...I think the future/current trend is to ditch the carbon rim brakes.

mhespenheide
11-12-2017, 12:38 PM
I don't know much about this market segment, but if I were going for "light" + "cheap carbon", I'd be thinking seriously about tubulars.

Modern sealants help the idea of tubulars way more than the old days.

Of course, second-hand tubular wheels are generally pretty cheap, so that might negate the need to build up a pair, but then -- if this project isn't about making sense, who knows?

Enjoy!

ceolwulf
11-12-2017, 12:49 PM
Definitely tubulars yes :)

Thanks for all suggestions so far :beer:

lexlion
11-13-2017, 01:54 PM
My LBS has build quite a few Light-Bicycle rims and they recommend them over other Chinese carbon rims.

Gummee
11-13-2017, 02:31 PM
I haven't personally built with them, but Gigantex from BHS seem to have a good reputation. They're Taiwanese rather than Chinese

Of the Chinese rims, I've heard good things about Nextie too.

I'm on my last pair of no-label Chinese rims. I've raced em for CX for the last 3 years and lent them out on occasion. They've been beaten on and are still OK.

M

cribbit
11-13-2017, 03:10 PM
I haven't personally built with them, but Gigantex from BHS seem to have a good reputation. They're Taiwanese rather than Chinese

Of the Chinese rims, I've heard good things about Nextie too.

I'm on my last pair of no-label Chinese rims. I've raced em for CX for the last 3 years and lent them out on occasion. They've been beaten on and are still OK.

M

What site did you order through?

MaraudingWalrus
11-13-2017, 03:21 PM
I've had great success with Nextie for customers and myself. I believe Ergott has used Light Bicycle rims for himself, I imagine to good results, though he can speak to that better than I.

In most cases, I'd recommend reaching out to the companies that you find on aliexpress/alibaba/ebay to see if they have their own websites. Most are pretty response.

Many do have warranty and crash replacement programs, though they do take a bit longer just due to time differences and length of shipping.

Gigantex rims are also available through bikehubstore, which have the added benefit of having a guy stateside that you can talk to should you have a problem.

You could also get some Boyd tubulars for $1000 per set while they're blowing those out if you want something a little "nicer."

Gummee
11-13-2017, 04:48 PM
What site did you order through?

That original order of 3 sets of rims came from 'a website.' As in 'I don't remember where.' Sorry.

The next set(s) of rims are likely to be Nexties.

M

chunkylover53
11-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Nextie or Light Bicycle are both good, with good service. Been using a few pairs for years - nothing but good things to say.

false_Aest
11-13-2017, 05:42 PM
There is a sweet deal for CF hoops in the classifieds.

Buy those.

ultraman6970
11-13-2017, 06:05 PM
OP.. if you are about to drop 500 bucks in rims and hubs just get a set of wheels from here, if you are looking for tubulars there is a nice set of new american classics carbon wheels like for less than a half of the street price.

cribbit
11-13-2017, 07:35 PM
There is a sweet deal for CF hoops in the classifieds.

Buy those.

2.5x the price of the rims being discussed here tho.

OP.. if you are about to drop 500 bucks in rims and hubs just get a set of wheels from here, if you are looking for tubulars there is a nice set of new american classics carbon wheels like for less than a half of the street price.

Gotta link that stuff if you're going to talk about it.

cribbit
11-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Did you mean https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210753 ?

ceolwulf
11-13-2017, 08:41 PM
The objective is as much to build wheels as to obtain wheels :)

Thanks again everyone.

ultraman6970
11-13-2017, 09:17 PM
Yup... it is nice to built your own stuff but now a days carbon rims and hubs are all over the place and with some luck, deals as those AC wheels dont come often. And at that price point honestly you are better going for those AC ones that buying all and building them.

U can find carbon rims like for 150 bucks a pop... then add the hub... 100 bucks more depending on what you get obviously and add spokes... 2 bucks a pop times 32... and there you have it... 500 bucks.

Did you mean https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=210753 ?

old fat man
11-13-2017, 09:28 PM
Yup... it is nice to built your own stuff but now a days carbon rims and hubs are all over the place and with some luck, deals as those AC wheels dont come often. And at that price point honestly you are better going for those AC ones that buying all and building them.

U can find carbon rims like for 150 bucks a pop... then add the hub... 100 bucks more depending on what you get obviously and add spokes... 2 bucks a pop times 32... and there you have it... 500 bucks.

You're missing the point. He wants to build them himself for the experience. I've had great luck with Nextie

Clancy
11-14-2017, 07:13 AM
You're missing the point. He wants to build them himself for the experience. I've had great luck with Nextie

When you (and others) say you've had good luck, does that mean lacing them up or actually riding them?

When I think of "cheap" carbon Made in China I wonder about the brake tracks holding up.

Screaming down a decent on carbon rim brake wheels is not the time to discover that cheap means a rim delaminating.

A friend has a rear wheel come apart, amazing he came out of only lightly skinned up. But, to be fair, this was some years ago.

But can one trust this suggested "cheap" rims?

dem
11-14-2017, 08:42 AM
I'd trust Light-bicycle, Nextie & Gigantex as much as I trusted any of the big makers - i.e., not at all for carbon clincher rim brake usage.

It's a bad application for carbon - the main thing you get paying $2000 for a name brand is they quietly replace them for free when they fail. With the china wheels, it's more of a hassle.

This is also heavily terrain dependent - do you have lots of long (>10 minute) steep (>10%) descents with switchbacks? Is there car traffic you get stuck behind so you have to ride the brakes?

Our original poster is doing tubulars, so no issue. Even if you crazy overheat the brake track on a tubular rim, it is far less likely to fail in a bad way. The rim is not integral to the structural integrity of the tire.

I only use carbon clinchers with disc brakes, but I happily ride generic china carbon frames and seatposts and other parts, so it isn't like I'm super risk averse. :)

shovelhd
11-14-2017, 08:47 AM
I've had zero problems with my generic carbonzone CC wheels, going on four years and 25k+ miles. The brake tracks are getting a bit worn down so the end is in sight, but they still stop plenty well. Choose the right pads. I use SwissStop Black Prince. Don't ride the brakes, pulse them. Clean them often.

Gummee
11-14-2017, 02:12 PM

Zipp 303s are a PITA, BTW

Not that they're easy to get, but if you have a 10sp wheelset and need 11sp...

M

guru
11-14-2017, 02:26 PM
Value, quality, customer service, plus hand-built in the USA. Carbon and Aluminum.
Scorpionbikewheels.com

shovelhd
11-14-2017, 06:41 PM
Value, quality, customer service, plus hand-built in the USA. Carbon and Aluminum.
Scorpionbikewheels.com

A race sponsor as well.

NoMoreParagon
11-16-2017, 04:18 PM
Gigantex are good, but heavy. They market themselves as the most reliable and safe bet when it comes to chinese/TW rims but that comes at the cost of a pretty beefy construction and reinforcements resulting in heavy rims.

I used once Nextie for my fat bike and I wouldn't do it again.

Fairwheel digs a lot FSE rims and the fact that they endorse them means a lot.

To me the best value set for weight and performance are the Schmolke.Made in Germany. The SL 45mm clincher are around 415g, and are on sale in Europe at $500 each. They have 105kg weight limit and generally received very good reviews.