PDA

View Full Version : Tiny wiggle in bottom bracket

cribbit
11-11-2017, 04:27 AM
I think I fixed it!

Peter P.
11-11-2017, 05:29 AM
It's plenty safe to ride.

It's a cartridge bottom bracket so there are no serviceable bearings inside. You replace the entire assembly.

The bottom bracket is worn. If the play affects shifting or you can feel the slop with your feet while pedaling, or the axle feels rough when you turn it with your fingers, it's time to replace. Otherwise, you can reinstall it and use it as-is.

oldpotatoe
11-11-2017, 06:21 AM
Campagnolo record 10 speed crankset, circa 2004.

https://i.imgur.com/eYC6zVf.jpg

I recently purchased a used bike and was stripping it down to clean. I noticed a teensy little wiggle in the crank arms - not even enough to really see a visible change in position, just something that if you held it you could feel it wobble a smidge.

I took the bottom bracket out and inspected it. The wiggle is apparent when holding the right side thread and moving the left side bearing/axle with my hand, the bearing/axle will move a little. The axle does not move side to side, only up/down - it doesn't go in and out of the body of the bracket, it moves on the other axis. Will post video as soon as I can.

The crankset was pressed on really, ridiculously tight - could that have cause it? The bottom bracket itself was relatively easy to remove.

Is there any way to fix this or do I have to replace it entirely if I want a fix? Is it safe to ride on?

Probably one of the 3 bearings have gone south. You 'can' replace the bearings, with some difficulty, I've done it, there are 3, 2 on right, one on left...keeper washer on RH side gets bent, deformed and elongated and doesn't fit tightly after reinstall.

Ride it until looseness gets worse or starts making noise. 102mm, ISO taper, symmetrical..Record or Chorus will work fine.

OBTW-dry tapers, 30 ft-lbs of torque. Grease in BB shell and inside BB cups(tap RH one off)..grease on crank bolt threads and under crank bolt washer..

ultraman6970
11-11-2017, 07:17 AM
Op, if the play is almost nothing just ride that and meanwhile start hunting for a chorus or a record of those, now a days arent super expensive, the BB u have there wont day suddenly even probably will be like that for centuries before actually failing. Meanwhile start hunting.

About the crankset super tight, well the previous guy had problems with the crankset getting lose? or simply using the torque campagnolo says? campagnolo and other manufacturers recommend way too much torque for their parts sometimes, yeah... if it crack who cares you have to buy a new one... :P

bikinchris
11-11-2017, 07:43 AM
Just get a Phil Wood to replace it and be done with it for the rest of your life.

jumphigher
11-11-2017, 04:25 PM
I'd be keeping my eyes open for a replacement, slop in bearings drives me crazy - especially in the BB.

Ralph
11-11-2017, 05:11 PM
Easy to find. Check Ribble. 102 Chorus BB. Cheap (relatively) and will last a long time.