PDA

View Full Version : cost of wheel building?

akelman
11-10-2017, 03:47 PM
Assuming that one has all of the parts for a set of wheels, how much does it cost (ballpark is absolutely fine) to have a reputable builder put everything together?

beeatnik
11-10-2017, 03:49 PM
$100 - $150

R3awak3n
11-10-2017, 03:53 PM
I think my builder charged me $30 per wheel if I remember correctly.

I did have to ship the wheels to him and then have them ship back so that added probably about $40 so all together was probably $100.

Gummee
11-10-2017, 03:53 PM
Depends on how much of a PITA it is, but the above is usually pretty close.

I charge more if i have to un-build the wheels to re-build them

M

eippo1
11-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I find it's a lot more cost effective to get to be friends with your favorite mechanic and get to know what they drink. You might be able to work something else out that they do on their own time. :beer:

Fishbike
11-10-2017, 04:07 PM
I find it's a lot more cost effective to get to be friends with your favorite mechanic and get to know what they drink. You might be able to work something else out that they do on their own time. :beer:

I guess if that is cool with the mechanic. Barter system can be mutually beneficial. But otherwise "cost-effective" for whom? Isn't it better to pay fair value for services rendered?

oldpotatoe
11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
Assuming that one has all of the parts for a set of wheels, how much does it cost (ballpark is absolutely fine) to have a reputable builder put everything together?

Vecchios charges $70 per wheel. About Boulder average altho dern few build wheels these days in the republic. I charge $55.

beeatnik
11-10-2017, 04:46 PM
We're talking California here.

Ari, just to give you a good range, the rates in LA are as follows:

Grad student who's built 4 sets for me and went on to set up the service department at a prominent shop: $60 build

Independent local wheelbuilder who left a well known Wheelbuilding (get it?) company, industry courtesy price: $80 build

My LBS whose owner has 30 years of wheel building experience but mainly specializes in MTB wheels these days: $150 build

The internet famous shop where many of my pals have had wheels built because they have an awesome wrench and had a nationally recognized track champ wheelbuilder (oh and you might see your bika on the Radavist). Anyway, street cred and all that (haha, street cred): $200 build

TLDR: Don't pay more than $50 per wheel.

akelman
11-10-2017, 04:49 PM
We're talking California here.

Ari, just to give you a good range, the rates in LA are as follows:

Grad student who's built 4 sets for me and went on to set up the service department at a prominent shop: $60 build

Independent local wheelbuilder who left a well known Wheelbuilding (get it?) company, industry courtesy price: $80 build

My LBS whose owner has 30 years of wheel building experience but mainly specializes in MTB wheels these days: $150 build

The internet famous shop where many of my pals have had wheels built because they have an awesome wrench and had a nationally recognized track champ wheelbuilder (oh and you might see your bika on the Radavist). Anyway, street cred and all that (haha, street cred): $200 build

TLDR: Don't pay more than $50 per wheel.

This is helpful. Thanks!

akelman
11-10-2017, 04:50 PM
Vecchios charges $70 per wheel. About Boulder average altho dern few build wheels these days in the republic. I charge $55.

You should charge more. I have a pair of wheels you built me four or five years ago. They're still perfectly straight and true.

Kontact
11-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Big difference between the cost of someone who has a reputation and someone who is just as good. I've built a lot of excellent wheels, many with odd components like Crono hubs. But I wouldn't expect my reputation to precede me.

Sometimes the local nice repair shop is all the competence you require. Look for a shop with a good volume of new bikes, wheel repairs and builds. Ask if they have a spoke cutter and spoke tensiometer, and if they use spoke prep. Listen to the kind of answers you get and if they make sense or are just trying to get your business.

FlashUNC
11-10-2017, 04:52 PM
About $100 for the pair is my experience as a customer, unless its something weird.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2017, 04:53 PM
You should charge more. I have a pair of wheels you built me four or five years ago. They're still perfectly straight and true.

Great to hear but.....nope. :)

pdonk
11-10-2017, 06:05 PM
$100 to 150 CAD per pair is the norm here. If they even do it.

A nearby shop builds for free if all parts bought through them

Bradford
11-10-2017, 06:14 PM

Can you keep that to yourself for just a bit? :eek:

The Old Spud and I agreed on a price this morning for him to build my next set of wheels and I don't want him getting any ideas.

doomridesout
11-10-2017, 06:20 PM
I used to build 'em for a living and need side cash. If you don't want to pay through the nose at Wheelworks I could make ya a deal on the labor in Davis.

Muffin Man
11-10-2017, 07:40 PM
We charged $70 a wheel, but that included 3 free spoke replacements, and free truing for the life of the wheel.

akelman
11-10-2017, 08:26 PM
I used to build 'em for a living and need side cash. If you don't want to pay through the nose at Wheelworks I could make ya a deal on the labor in Davis.

Wheelworks lost their best wrenches after the sale. And if you're serious, that would be great. I'll send you a PM.

Kontact
11-10-2017, 09:06 PM
We charged $70 a wheel, but that included 3 free spoke replacements, and free truing for the life of the wheel.

What is a spoke replacement? Rebuilding with new spokes, or replacement of up to three broken spokes?

BRad704
11-10-2017, 09:09 PM
I've called two different local shops and was told $80 and $50. Definitely cheap enough to keep me from being too tempered to learn to do it myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rccardr
11-10-2017, 09:21 PM
Local shop, expert wheelbuilder, $60 per wheel for a full build.

If I lace and assemble, they charge me $30-40 per pair to tension, dish and true, depending on how easy it is to get 'em round.

Generally speaking, the wheels I build and they true/dish/tension need very little attention down the line.

Spud, though...hard to go wrong there.

oldpotatoe
11-11-2017, 06:38 AM
Can you keep that to yourself for just a bit? :eek:

The Old Spud and I agreed on a price this morning for him to build my next set of wheels and I don't want him getting any ideas.

Funny...I do this cuz I can, and love making wheels but I'm a garage operation, so...what I charge keeps me in bike parts, ammunition and tuition for my 4 year old's Pre-K school..:)