PDA

View Full Version : Chain replacement interval?

ericmurphy
04-19-2004, 11:13 PM
I'm curious - how often do you guys replace the chains on your bikes? I generally use Dura Ace chains, and the last one I had on my road bike had about 11,500 miles on it. The only reason I replaced it was because I went from a 12-21 to a 12-25 in back (these Northern California hills were getting to be a bit much in a 50-inch gear!). Unfortunately, since I forgot to ask, I have no idea in what shape the chain was in at the time, but the mechanic who replaced it evidently didn't see enough wear to remark on it.

My current chain has about 3,000 miles on it, which I'm assuming means it will probably last me until I take delivery on my Legend (say, another 1,500 miles or so). Does that sound reasonable?

bfd
04-19-2004, 11:38 PM
From the Bicycle FAQ:

Chain life is almost entirely a cleanliness and lubrication question
rather than a load problem. For bicycles the effect of load
variations is insignificant compared to the lubricant and grit
effects. For example, motorcycle primary chains, operated under oil
in clean conditions, last as much as 100,000 miles while exposed rear
chains must be replaced often.

The best way to determine whether a chain is worn is by measuring its
length. A new chain has a half inch pitch with a pin at exactly every
half inch. As the pins and sleeves wear, this spacing increases,
concentrating more load on the last tooth of engagement, changing the
tooth profile. When chain pitch grows over one half percent, it is
time for a new chain. At one percent, sprocket wear progresses
rapidly because this length change occurs only between pin and sleeve
so that it is concentrated on every second pitch; the pitch of the
inner link containing the rollers remaining constant. By holding a
ruler along the chain on the bicycle, align an inch mark with a pin
and see how far off the mark the pin is at twelve inches. An eighth
of an inch (0.125) is one percent, twice the sixteenth limit that is a
prudent time for a new chain.

For more on Chain care, wear and skipping:
http://www.faqs.org/faqs/bicycles-faq/part3/section-37.html

ericmurphy
04-20-2004, 12:03 AM
After 12 inches, my ruler lines up precisely with the center of a rivet. In fact, every inch mark lines up with a rivet. So I guess I can go at least 3,000 miles. :)

Of course, it looks filthy as hell. I don't think I'll be using White Lightning on my new bike's chain...

vaxn8r
04-20-2004, 01:00 AM
Believe it or not the DA rep here recommends changing the DA 10 chain every 1,200-1,500 miles. To me that pretty much means I'll never worry about cleaning it :)

I think the DA 9 chain is good for around 3,000 as is the Campy chain. Just a rough rule of thumb. I'd rather change a chain a bit early than have to buy a new set of sprockets.

Kevin
04-20-2004, 05:43 AM
I replaced the chain based on the measurements discussed above. Typically, I change it every 3,000 miles. By the way I use Campy Record.

Kevin

Too Tall
04-20-2004, 05:49 AM
Regardless of mileage I change chains when the Rolhoff wear guide indicates the chain is too worn for use with aluminum sprockets. This is a conservative method and will preserve cogs as long as possible.

JohnS
04-20-2004, 06:38 AM
My Campy 10 chain is at 3200 miles and the ruler still lines up on the rivet.

theoldman
04-20-2004, 06:53 AM
I find that a clean and lubed chain(Record or Shimano) will still show little if no wear after 4000km. And yet, I change it every spring.

A local campy mechanic did tell me that campy chains can break before they show wear. In other words, change it on a regular basis, even it looks good.

Andreu
04-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Mountain man, I would second that. I have had Campy chains go between 2000 and 6000 miles with no visual warning. Luckily they do start to make some strange noises a couple of hundred miles before they go. I agree with the observation that to renew a campy chain is probably the best policy...I try to renew every 6 months.
A

Tony Prioli
04-20-2004, 07:01 AM
Look at the F.A.Q. page in shimano's "STI" MANUAL. (SHIMANO TOTAL INFORMATION). It clearly states that life expectancy of a shimano chain, if well maintained is 3200km. About 2000 miles. It has shorter numbers for off road use. I mentioned this statement to Wayne Stetina at dinner a couple of years ago, and he said "the chain is worn out when the rollers are too loose, or pitted, and that if the chain measures longer at the rivots, it is because the rollers are worn so badly, that the pins and plates have been affected". This is noticed much after the rollers are worn. f.y.i. Wayne is the 20 year veteran employee of shimano, Who developes all the new products. He also has many race victories, and currently rides a ottrot, on the usps masters squad
TonyPrioli.

colodale
04-20-2004, 11:10 PM
I can't say exactly how long my Shimano chains have lasted, because after breaking 3 chains in a row at 1600 miles a few years ago, I now just change them out every 1500 miles. No more broken chains. The trick is to just find them on sale somewhere and stock up. My new ottrott is using Campy, and I don't know if I've seen those chains on sale ever.

Dale

Ahneida Ride
04-21-2004, 01:12 AM
My LBS Guru recomends every 2000 miles.