PDA

View Full Version : Co-Motion Clatch w. Pinion C 12

Clean39T
11-10-2017, 10:02 AM
I saw one of these Pinion C 12 gear-boxes at the Oregon Handmade show. And after almost going down twice on my ride in this morning (wet, dark, can't see potholes/cracks, 28s slipping, brakes damn-near ineffective), I'm ogling hard-core commuter bikes. This Lauf makes sense. Wide tires make sense. Discs make sense. But damnation, $6K is a chunk of change..

https://www.bikegallery.com/product/co-motion-nahbs-klatch-with-magnesium-pinion-c.12-and-lauf-grit-fork-111281.htm

https://www.bikegallery.com/merchant/2166/images/large/KLATCH5.jpg

cribbit
11-10-2017, 11:23 AM
I have a co motion titanium frame I've been trying to price, co motion is an expensive brand.

Clean39T
11-10-2017, 12:18 PM
I have a co motion titanium frame I've been trying to price, co motion is an expensive brand.

I think their frames are actually reasonable (Ristretto, Espresso, etc.) - but that Pinion system is spendy, as is the Lauf fork, so it makes sense the whole build gets up there..

ColonelJLloyd
11-10-2017, 12:27 PM
You almost went down twice and this may not have happened with an internal gearbox or suspension fork?

Disc brakes and fat tires aren't very spendy.

Clean39T
11-10-2017, 12:37 PM
You almost went down twice and this may not have happened with an internal gearbox or suspension fork?

Disc brakes and fat tires aren't very spendy.

Yeah I know. The Co-Motion is just interesting as a concept bike. I had a Fargo Gen 1 back in 2010 and it was a perfect commuter (other than being 30lbs. kitted out). I should probably just be getting one of those. Or give up and drive to work...

bicycletricycle
11-10-2017, 03:02 PM
a surly disc trucker with an alfine or used rohlof will get you most of the way for short money.

those forks are really ugly, I would like to try one.

I like the pinion idea, the ratios are spaced pretty far apart for road but it would be interesting to try out .

josephr
11-10-2017, 03:31 PM
a surly disc trucker with an alfine or used rohlof will get you most of the way for short money.

I like the pinion idea, the ratios are spaced pretty far apart for road but it would be interesting to try out .

was thinking an all-city nature boy w/ an igh...

Clean39T
11-10-2017, 03:32 PM

Sums it for me too.

How's the Woody Allen joke go? The food's terrible...and the portions are small... :banana:

Anyway, somewhere in the middle is this: https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/d/black-mountain-cycles-cx/6377535399.html

MUSA BMC - my size - and local - at a great price. Not sure I'll make it through the weekend without going to have a look.

zap
11-10-2017, 03:37 PM

Tandem frame?

charliedid
11-10-2017, 05:18 PM
If you are in fact looking for options, you could do worse than a belt drive SOMA Wolverine. 8/11 spd Alfine ?

We have built a pile of these for customers and I'm building a personal bike for myself. New frame is reinforced (now okay for Rohloff) and option for a thru axle.

Great bike for this purpose IMO

cribbit
11-10-2017, 06:22 PM
Tandem frame?

Single person frame.

Apparently Co Motion built it in house. The rear dropouts are the nicest looking I've seen on ti, there's no visible weld.

zap
11-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Single person frame.

Apparently Co Motion built it in house. The rear dropouts are the nicest looking I've seen on ti, there's no visible weld.

Interesting. Never knew CoMo made Ti singles.

The titanium tandem frame they produced around '94 was and still is the only ti tandem frame I would consider purchasing.

raygunner
11-11-2017, 12:05 PM
I bought a second hand touring Co-Motion touring frame awhile back.

It was pretty nice to look at but didn't compete with my previous Indy Fab touring bike.

The one thing that continually bugged me was the chainstays and how they flare out towards the dropouts. I often knocked my heels on them during rides. In addition, I found the frame a little small and decided to sell it.

I explored doing a custom Americano frame but wasn't really satisfied with the process or the dealers I consulted.

Plus I wanted cantis, which was an upcharge (?!), and it'd still feature disc tabs. I'm not sure how that's "custom" and it irked me so much I went elsewhere.

cribbit
11-11-2017, 12:08 PM

The titanium tandem frame they produced around '94 was and still is the only ti tandem frame I would consider purchasing.

I can't find any other mentions of ones existing.

Drmojo
11-11-2017, 01:07 PM

Ti tandem has been flawless for 8k miles
Double centuries, 300 k brevet etc etc
Nothing against Co Motion but Santana has been building tandems for a LONG time.
I still prefer metal
No Calfee for us!