PDA

View Full Version : Front Range Colorado MTBers: what bike do you ride and where?

sandyrs
11-09-2017, 09:51 AM
I am looking at a move next year, and one place I *may* end up (not guaranteed, not trying to jinx myself) is Boulder. I'm curious about what kind of mountain bikes folks who live there ride, and which trails you ride them on. I'm not into gravity stuff, but I do like technical riding and long MTB rides. Right now I ride a FS XC bike with a 120mm fork and it seems like it would make sense in Boulder, but wanted to get the local perspective.

I'm hoping to stick to owning just one MTB that I can do a little XC racing on and use on trails both close to town like Betasso and a bit farther out like Heil/Hall Ranch.

(I ask because another place I may end up is Vancouver, and I know from experience that if I move there, I will be buying a bigger bike)

Jaybee
11-09-2017, 10:15 AM
I ride an El Mariachi on N and S Table Mountains, Green Mountain, Lair o' the Bear, and White Ranch mostly. I like it, and don't really feel undergunned for what I like to do. Hardtails are less than 40% of what I see on the trails/parking lot though. Lots of bikes just like your 120 front and rear - I'd ride that for a while, then decide if you need something bigger.

If I was going to get another bike, I'd probably go with a 27.5+ hardtail with a bigger front fork. Big, durable rubber is nice out here.

p nut
11-09-2017, 10:45 AM
You could also get a narrow q-factor fat bike (like Rocky Mountain Suzi Q or Otso Voytek), with a Plus and a Fat wheelset. It'd expand your play area quite a bit, especially during winter.

Jaybee
11-09-2017, 10:51 AM
You could also get a narrow q-factor fat bike (like Rocky Mountain Suzi Q or Otso Voytek), with a Plus and a Fat wheelset. It'd expand your play area quite a bit, especially during winter.

Yeah, I saw your Commando frame in the classifieds. If it would take a fork, I'd be on it.

p nut
11-09-2017, 10:56 AM
Yeah, I saw your Commando frame in the classifieds. If it would take a fork, I'd be on it.

All my mtn bikes are rigid, so after being on the 29er with 2.4" tires all summer, jumping on the fat bike is like being on a full suspension. :D

gdw
11-09-2017, 11:03 AM
I ride a Soma Juice or old ti hardtail with a 100mm travel fork. Most of the trails around Boulder aren't technical and many could easily be ridden without front suspension. A full suspension bike would be more versatile and a better choice if you plan to ride outside of town.