PDA

View Full Version : Wind resistance...what about hard breathing into the direction onf travel?

Pierre
11-09-2017, 07:38 AM
Alright, here's your morning chuckle:
I guess this is a good example of the mind wandering while on a long ride.

With all the studies and measurements taken on bike and rider aerodynamics has anyone ever heard of a study done that measures the resistance effect of hard breathing while facing directly forward? I'd be very curious to understand (relatively speaking) to what degree breathing in a forward direction slows a rider down vs. any other factor that comes into play...yep, you heard me right.

I'm convinced that this could have a bigger impact than some of the things that we end up spending big bucks on to get an aero advantage. My conviction is not based on anything remotely factual, I should add.

Put differently, if you expelled your air downward instead of forward how much faster will you go? :-)

oldpotatoe
11-09-2017, 07:43 AM
Alright, here's your morning chuckle:
I guess this is a good example of the mind wandering while on a long ride.

With all the studies and measurements taken on bike and rider aerodynamics has anyone ever heard of a study done that measures the resistance effect of hard breathing while facing directly forward? I'd be very curious to understand (relatively speaking) to what degree breathing in a forward direction slows a rider down vs. any other factor that comes into play...yep, you heard me right.

I'm convinced that this could have a bigger impact than some of the things that we end up spending big bucks on to get an aero advantage. My conviction is not based on anything remotely factual, I should add.

Put differently, if you expelled your air downward instead of forward how much faster will you go? :-)

Right up there with return to center barends for tri-geeks..more aero=faster...:eek:

Birddog
11-09-2017, 07:56 AM
I try to fart a lot to compensate, it seems to work OK.

kmla320
11-09-2017, 08:24 AM
Do you a have special diet for Jet propulsion ???

fignon's barber
11-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Laurent Jalabert: years ahead of his time.

2LeftCleats
11-09-2017, 08:34 AM
You also have to factor in your inhalation. The harder you suck air the more it will pull you forward. For best effect, suck in hard and blow it out your a$$.

weisan
11-09-2017, 08:42 AM
So...THAT'S what Froomeeee been doin' all this time.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/dauphine15-froome-head-down-920.jpg

Black Dog
11-09-2017, 08:56 AM
You also have to factor in your inhalation. The harder you suck air the more it will pull you forward. For best effect, suck in hard and blow it out your a$$.

This....:p

Also, Taco's really help balance things out.

Pierre
11-09-2017, 09:59 AM
oh man, these replies are gems. Thanks guys. You've given me more idiotic things to consider as my mind meanders on my next ride!!!

Birddog
11-09-2017, 10:30 AM
Did you hear the one about the dehydrated Frenchman? Pierre.

berserk87
11-09-2017, 10:40 AM
I try to fart a lot to compensate, it seems to work OK.

Well played. I'm sponsored by Taco Bell, so I am blessed.

Peter P.
11-09-2017, 06:30 PM

You wouldn't go faster; you would weigh less. :rolleyes:

Cicli
11-09-2017, 06:50 PM
I flap my arms while riding. Makes my bike lighter.