PDA

View Full Version : OT: I just found out I may be a violent criminal

Mark McM
11-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Many of us here have low resting heart rates after years of aerobic exercise (cycling). Now they are finding out that low resting heart rates are correlated to anti-social behavior and violent crime:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11863460/Low-resting-heart-rate-linked-to-future-violent-or-anti-social-behaviour.html

New research has suggested that boys with lower resting heart rates during childhood and their teenage years are more likely to grow up into less than law-abiding citizens.

Previous studies have linked low heart rates with anti-social behaviour in adolescents, and it has been theorised that those with slower heart rates place themselves in dangerous and even criminal situations because their bodies require more stimulation to feel excited or thrilled. An additional reason may be that their bodies fail to physically detect danger as effectively as their peers.

Antti Latvala, of the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm and the University of Helsinki in Finland, led the latest study. Monitoring 710,000 participants born between 1958 and 1991, Latvala followed the social progress of these individuals using records that spanned up to 36 years.

Compared with young men who had the highest resting heart rates (in excess of 83 beats per minute), those with the lowest heart rates (under 60 beats per minute) were 39 per cent more likely to commit and subsequently be convicted of a violent crime.

I've had a low resting heart rate all my life. In my teens, it was measured as low as 38 bpm. Since I haven't been leading a life of violent crime thus far, I have to wonder if I haven't been living up to my potential?

kmla320
11-08-2017, 07:35 PM
What a bunch of hogwash! 10 years from now another study will show the exact opposite!!

gasman
11-08-2017, 07:39 PM
Association isn’t causation.

makoti
11-08-2017, 07:43 PM
It's the "subsequently be convicted" part that worries me...

Don49
11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
...and it has been theorised that those with slower heart rates place themselves in dangerous and even criminal situations because their bodies require more stimulation to feel excited or thrilled. An additional reason may be that their bodies fail to physically detect danger as effectively as their peers.

This part sounds possible to me, but seeking thrills doesn't necessarily have to mean criminal activity, just that other outlets weren't available, like climbing, bike racing, etc.

Steve in SLO
11-08-2017, 09:32 PM
Classic antisocial behaviors:
Lighting fires
Torturing animals
Wetting the bed later in childhood

Not on the list:
Low resting HR

tylercheung
11-08-2017, 11:25 PM
May be a good illustration of "correlation does not imply causation" kind of thing...

Louis
11-08-2017, 11:35 PM
May be a good illustration of "correlation does not imply causation" kind of thing...

Ha - I can prove that larger foot size is what causes people to rob banks.

Almost no banks have ever been robbed by thieves with feet larger than size 5. Therefore, the desire to rob banks must be due to having larger feet.

Mr. Pink
11-09-2017, 12:28 AM
I read that Lance has a really really low resting heart rate, so, there ya go.

2LeftCleats
11-09-2017, 05:33 AM
Could explain the danger of zombies. Don't think they have any pulse.

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2017, 11:03 AM
. . . I always wanted to meet Miguel Indurain, but in view of this, I might now want to skip an encounter with "Mr. 26 BPM!"

BBD

summilux
11-09-2017, 01:18 PM
Yup

joosttx
11-09-2017, 01:45 PM
Yup

Gut health = affects mental state in a bad way. Trans-fats= cause bad gut health. Divorce = is affected by mental health. There could be a relationship to test.

Connecting dots is tough

shoota
11-09-2017, 02:23 PM
What if you have a really low resting HR but really high Max HR (211bpm)?

Drmojo
11-09-2017, 02:27 PM
As the resident Paceline psychiatrist (who works with the criminally insane)

A low resting heart rate (in non athletes) has been correlated with anti-social behavior for years now. Yes just a correlation, but a very robust and replicated finding, along with reduced skin conductance and educed startle response.
All of the above makes for good cops, soldiers--and criminals.

Cold blooded killers anyone?

jghall
11-09-2017, 02:49 PM
Ha - I can prove that larger foot size is what causes people to rob banks.

Ha, I can attest that the myth on larger feet is not applicable to other things too. ;)

joosttx
11-09-2017, 03:03 PM
As the resident Paceline psychiatrist (who works with the criminally insane)

A low resting heart rate (in non athletes) has been correlated with anti-social behavior for years now. Yes just a correlation, but a very robust and replicated finding, along with reduced skin conductance and educed startle response.
All of the above makes for good cops, soldiers--and criminals.

Cold blooded killers anyone?

Is there a hypothesis for why?

PQJ
11-09-2017, 03:11 PM
I'm still trying to figure out the color of my parachute. But I've always had a low resting heart rate. And I don't startle easy. Hmm. Don't know about skin conductance. Now to find an electrical outlet.

Lewis Moon
11-09-2017, 03:21 PM

Ahyup.

Rpoole8537
11-09-2017, 07:46 PM
But, most of us have a low heart rate because we have ridden for a long, long time. Right? Ted Bundy had a low heart rate, and I don't think many of us are a Bundy type. Part of that type is no remorse for criminal activity.
Riding for a long time did give me Afib. Still, I have no desire to knock off a liquor store.

Louis
11-09-2017, 07:50 PM
Still, I have no desire to knock off a liquor store.

Maybe you just haven't been riding enough, and your heart rate is still too high.