PDA

View Full Version : Tips and tricks for ergonomic endurance riding

rjoe
11-07-2017, 10:58 AM
The last time I took a long ride, I pushed myself a little too much and ended up with a sore knee that took about a week to heal up. I was trying to make km's on a week-long cycling trip, and road maybe 17 or 18 hours in a day.

I'd like to the variety of tricks that endurance riders have out there for keeping their body happy over long rides. For myself, I've had a bike fit (which I might of had a cm off from packing/unpacking my bike), and have a saddle that fits my seatbone width, which I think helps a lot, but haven't tested this set up out on many long rides.

doomridesout
11-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Sounds like par for the course-- a lot of randonneurs take ibuprofen.

The obvious thing is that you might be a cm off in your fit from reassembling your bike. No fit is perfect, but if you felt confident in it, a full centimeter different in saddle height or setback is a big deal.

Also look into some off the bike lateral stability exercises that target the gluteus medialis. Big deal in cyclists that causes bad tracking of the joint in the pedal stroke when the muscle "turns off" from relative lack of use.

ColonelJLloyd
11-07-2017, 11:54 AM
Drugs and stretching for me. I don't think I've actually had more than 12 hours in the saddle in a day, though.

nooneline
11-07-2017, 12:16 PM
For me, having leg musculature that supports my knee movement has been crucial. Periodically, I've started base training with too-weak muscles, and it's resulted in knee pain. It's solved by pistol squats and some other strengthening exercises that ensure my knee tracks straight.

unterhausen
11-07-2017, 12:43 PM
Your position may still need to be tweaked a little. It is possible to ride long distances without pain, so don't accept it, keep tweaking things until it goes away. Fitness helps, of course.

I have knee pain that is helped a lot by taping it and using an elastic strap. I am pretty sure it's patella tracking issue for me.

The only trick I know relates to neck and shoulder pain. I do shoulder rolls for that. It has always helped so far. I'm pretty sure it is demonstrated in the first video in this article https://www.pinkbike.com/news/release-tension-in-the-upper-back-and-injury-proof-your-shoulders.html

For some reason, rolling them back doesn't do anything, but rolling them forward offers quick relief most times. Sometimes it doesn't work right away, but a few minutes later I notice the pain is gone. I might do this 20 times on a 300km or longer ride. Light weights are good for this, but by the time you are on a ride, it's too late.

All I can say about fit is that if your hands go numb, consider a slightly longer stem. Make sure your fore-aft balance is good. Peter White's method seems to work for me. While sitting on the saddle, bend forward no handsto see if you feel comfortable. If your abs can't keep you upright, saddle should go back. These two things have really improved my hand numbness situation.

I got rid of foot numbness by using metatarsal pads and bigger shoes.

ripvanrando
11-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Knowing your limits is a good starting point. Apologize if not helpful.

If you are used to 5-6 hour rides in zone 2, trying to do a 15 hour ride with climbing will result in some suffering at best or injury at worst. To do a hard 15-16 hour ride in the midst of a week long tour, it takes a lot of training. Generally one can do a long one day ride if you have done 60-70% of the effort/distance in a recent training ride. So, a 10 hour training ride suggest a 15 hour event ride would be doable.....but probably not in the middle of a weeklong tour. There are not too many good websites out there for training for long distance but it sounds like you way, way over did it. Like who hasn't.

Most riders have problems with their derriere. On long rides, a Brooks leather saddle work for me in conjunction with Assos Centos shorts and lantiseptic cream/fat. Legs and the rest of the body are mostly about miles and proper bike fit. The muscles have to have the miles in them; otherwise, the joints seem to take more of a beating.....I am not sure why but this is my observation. I can only remember one problem saddle wise.

Billybob62
11-07-2017, 04:00 PM
For myself, I've had a bike fit (which I might of had a cm off from packing/unpacking my bike)....
Did you tell the fitter that your were interested in riding long distances? If not, most fitters will concentrate on aero and not comfort.......