PDA

View Full Version : Serotta steel builder chronology

justinf
09-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Can anyone point me to a framebuilder chronology for Serotta? Loose is fine. I've become curious who the builder might be for my '94 Colorado CRL.

David Kirk
09-19-2006, 12:31 PM
That's an impossible question to answer really. No one single person built stock size frames at that point. The frame was passed person to person with folks doing a few different operations that they specialized in. So one guy would mitre the tubes, another would jig it up and add braze-ons....another would braze it....you get the idea I'm sure.

There were some immensely talented folks there at the time and it was the peak of steel production I believe.

If it was a custom bike it was more or less built by a single person. You should be able to tell by the serial number (starts with a "CC"). If that's the case then it was built by Kelly Bedford or myself.

Do you have the serial number?

Dave

justinf
09-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Yep, it's CL57 738, which I take it to mean it's stock geo. Thanks for the reply Dave, I figured you would know best.

David Kirk
09-19-2006, 05:59 PM
If I remember the serial # system properly that number means you have a 57 long. The frames were offered in a standard or long.

Enjoy the bike.

Dave

oclvzrx
09-23-2006, 10:14 PM
My Serial number starts with BS!!! Built in 1980 when he was still hands on. oclvzrx

Michael Maddox
09-24-2006, 09:35 PM
Mine's just an old, boring 54 29.

85 Nova Special, of course.