PDA

View Full Version : Disc fork with thru axle and non tapered steerer?

cribbit
11-06-2017, 07:48 PM
Trying to retrofit a 1 1/8th straight headtube road bike to have a disc brake on the front.

It seems like all the straight steerers have quick release rather than through axle.

Does anyone make a through axle disc fork without a tapered steer tube? Ideally from carbon.

sandyrs
11-06-2017, 08:04 PM
Fyxation Sparta.

hollowgram5
11-06-2017, 08:06 PM
Check this thread, there are some decent suggestions.. but remember to take axle to crown, rake, and whether you are truly looking for a road fork or a gravel/cross fork into account when looking through the options suggested.

It's not always as simple as "just install a fork and go." Geometry and angle changes can drive some fairly drastic ride changes.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=212786

cribbit
11-06-2017, 08:23 PM
What resources would you recommend for determining a good rake etc?

hollowgram5
11-06-2017, 10:00 PM
What resources would you recommend for determining a good rake etc?What is the frame you are trying to do this on?

Typically, a cross/gravel fork will have a taller axle to crown than a standard road. Even with the same rake, a different axle-crown will affect the handling of the bike.

cribbit
11-06-2017, 10:31 PM
What is the frame you are trying to do this on?

Typically, a cross/gravel fork will have a taller axle to crown than a standard road. Even with the same rake, a different axle-crown will affect the handling of the bike.

Road frame.

https://i.imgur.com/ZZa55eH.png in case attachment fails

Currently googling and reading like mad. Never had to deal with geometry much before, I just used the fork that came with a bike.

I found an ebay seller who claims they can sell me a carbon disc fork with a thru axle and straight steer tube.

Also trying to figure out what sort of disc brake mount I want to go for.

hollowgram5
11-07-2017, 06:48 AM
What's the motivation behind going disc? And why the desire for a thru-axle fork?

It looks, based on the Geo chart that a 39 rake fork was suggested. There arent going to be many that fit that bill that arent custom. Your best bet to preserve factory design, specs and ride is going to be custom. A company like Wound Up can make you an appropriate rake and A-C fork, but they don't offer a thru axle option at this time.

That said, there are many on here with much more experience in geometry and frame/fork design, and maybe one of them will chime in and give some insight.

A steel custom with a thru axle might be cheaper than a Would Up or something carbon and custom. Just my 2 cents though.

Also, the disc brake mount might not be something you have any say in, as not everyone will offer a flat mount option yet.

cribbit
11-07-2017, 07:22 PM
What's the motivation behind going disc? And why the desire for a thru-axle fork?

It looks, based on the Geo chart that a 39 rake fork was suggested. There arent going to be many that fit that bill that arent custom. Your best bet to preserve factory design, specs and ride is going to be custom. A company like Wound Up can make you an appropriate rake and A-C fork, but they don't offer a thru axle option at this time.

That said, there are many on here with much more experience in geometry and frame/fork design, and maybe one of them will chime in and give some insight.

A steel custom with a thru axle might be cheaper than a Would Up or something carbon and custom. Just my 2 cents though.

Also, the disc brake mount might not be something you have any say in, as not everyone will offer a flat mount option yet.

Motivation - I want it. No real good reason. My front brake had the logo scratched. Thankfully I'm pursuing this more as a curiosity than a requirement, if it doesn't work out it's not the end of the world.

Fortunately it seems that brake mount doesn't matter much. I'm probably not totally correct, but basically IS gives better lifespan of the fork (no threads to strip) at additional cost and need of an adapter. Post mount was the most common but wasn't pretty enough so now we have flat mount which is prettier.

sandyrs
11-07-2017, 07:30 PM
I rescind my earlier suggestion. Never even occurred to me you would be converting a road frame.

cribbit
11-07-2017, 07:31 PM
I rescind my earlier suggestion. Never even occurred to me you would be converting a road frame.

I have a habit of doing unexpected, stupid things.

bewheels
11-08-2017, 03:23 AM
So...the result will be a front disc / rear caliper bike?

Just my my 2 cents, but I would not do that.

And for what it’s worth, the mount type does matter from the perspective of compatibility. Unless you have a history of stripping threads, there is no concern about this with disc mounts.

konaman
11-08-2017, 06:33 AM
Slightly different, but I was looking for a thru axle disc straight steerer fork and 26” mtb at that, and there wasn’t one. Going custom was my only choice.

cribbit
11-08-2017, 12:45 PM
So...the result will be a front disc / rear caliper bike?

Just my my 2 cents, but I would not do that.

And for what it’s worth, the mount type does matter from the perspective of compatibility. Unless you have a history of stripping threads, there is no concern about this with disc mounts.

Yep front disc rear caliper.

Why not?

Once I've got the fork I have to find a brake that's compatible but luckily that's not too hard. The fork I'm going to try out is post mount and I already have a BB7 road which is post mount.

doomridesout
11-08-2017, 04:17 PM
I think Wound Up is doing thru-axle now.

hollowgram5
11-08-2017, 04:22 PM
I think Wound Up is doing thru-axle now.Last I'd heard, they weren't liberty yet with either tapered steerers or thru axles, but it's been a few months it's not listed on their site as an option but they rolled them out at NAHBS last year.

They'd be about the only one that would do it as a 1-off from what I can recall. Thru axle doesn't gain that much in my opinion, but to each their own.

mistermo
11-08-2017, 09:31 PM
Ritchey makes the Outback with a straight, thru axle disc fork that has an axle to crown that most closely resembles a road bike (38.3, iirc). However, the rake is off. And best of all, you have to buy the frame if you want the fork. Not sold separately.