PDA

View Full Version : OT: No-Shave November

Cicli
11-06-2017, 06:54 PM
Anyone do it?
I made it until today. Drove me nuts all day. Came home from the office, skipped dinner and hit the shower. Feel great.

Fail!

Anyone else?

regularguy412
11-06-2017, 07:15 PM
Never tried it myself.

When I go more than a week, the pine forest is just too much. I've been shaving once or twice weekly since 1988. Not about to stop now.

Mike in AR:beer:

ultraman6970
11-06-2017, 07:16 PM
no shave November but.. where???

Face??? i shave like twice a month.. at most is once a week.

Cut hair 3 times a year, if not, like twice a year.

William
11-06-2017, 07:16 PM
I shave my head...more than two days without shaving drives me crazy.:crap:

William

rnhood
11-06-2017, 07:19 PM
Never tried it myself.

When I go more than a week, the pine forest is just too much. I've been shaving once or twice weekly since 1988. Not about to stop now.

Same here, I typically shave twice a week. I just can't go more than than a few days without shaving. I hate the that pine forest feeling.

dustyrider
11-06-2017, 07:21 PM
I grow a beard and mustache every winter. I used to just keep the beard and mustache year round, but I don’t really like facial hair when it’s at all hot outside. I usually start in November since everyone else is willing to accept the slow start look and sometime after Christmas I start combing it out and trimming the mustache. I won’t shave again until the end of March is my guess. I guess my facial hair grows in the non itchy sort of way...never been bothered by it after the first few days.

Louis
11-06-2017, 07:22 PM
I've had a beard for the last 25 years or so.

Now's the time when having one really helps keep you more comfortable on the bike in cold weather.

Tickdoc
11-06-2017, 07:31 PM
Legs or face?

I’ve had a beard since September, but I keep it trim.

Legs are getting a little itchy though. I look like a lesbian at the end of burning man....but with a beard.

Cicli
11-06-2017, 07:36 PM
Legs are getting a little itchy though. I look like a lesbian at the end of burning man....but with a beard.

Some have beards too. Dont sell them short.

regularguy412
11-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Never tried it myself.

I presumed this was in relation to leg shaving.

Facial or other body hair,,, well, to each his or her own.

unterhausen
11-06-2017, 08:23 PM
I got sick on Friday morning, so I didn't shave until this morning. My 4 day growth is pretty heavy, but unfortunately is really gray. I thought about not shaving this morning, but I didn't like looking like a homeless guy and got rid of it.

eippo1
11-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Started a little early, so am in my second week of beard. So much better after that first week. I find that beard oil helps a ton, especially when trying to grow a beard during season changes. Makes it way softer too, my wife will actually nuzzle my beard instead of running away from me when I bring my scratchiness up close.

fiamme red
11-06-2017, 09:34 PM
A beard makes you faster. ;)

https://xmasepic.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/seaneadie.jpg

d_douglas
11-06-2017, 09:53 PM
I’ve grown a few beards, but I just end up feeling gross and dirty after a while. I am starting to go grey now, so the beard just makes me look older.

My wife thinks it looks good, it I just can’t take it...

batman1425
11-06-2017, 09:57 PM
Grew mine out in October 2 years ago in prep for winter. Not kidding, facial hair really does help when it's -30 out. The plan was to shave it off when it warmed up in the spring, but it grew on me - no pun intended.

Don49
11-06-2017, 11:06 PM
Anyone do it? We're talking about cancer awareness month, right?

https://no-shave.org

sokyroadie
11-07-2017, 04:17 AM
I've had a beard for the last 25 years or so.

Now's the time when having one really helps keep you more comfortable on the bike in cold weather.

Same here, but 40+ years - never liked shaving ;)

CNY rider
11-07-2017, 05:32 AM
We're doing it as a fundraiser at work.
I have some responsibilities this week that I can't look sloppy for so I'm giving the other guys a 1 week head start.
Once we get to deer season I will rally for the win!

R3awak3n
11-07-2017, 05:39 AM
Has been no shave month for me for like 4 months.

So november used to be movember, I guess that was too creepy ahah. I did it once and it was ridiculous, really don’t look good with a moustash.

Cicli
11-07-2017, 05:59 AM
We're talking about cancer awareness month, right?

https://no-shave.org

Correct.
My employer does a fundraiser. I will just dontate.

Black Dog
11-07-2017, 06:40 AM
This whole no-shave movember thing seems to be a lot of virtue signalling without much actual action for most men. I would rather just quietly give some cash to the cause and make a small difference. Raising awareness is not the same as raising money.

parris
11-07-2017, 06:57 AM
Blackdog it may be the situation in some cases but not all. My dept has strict grooming standards as do many others in NY. This is the first year that the sheriff has agreed to participation in the event.

There are several other local PD's that are also allowing their officers to grow a beard for the month.

Birddog
11-07-2017, 07:02 AM
I did it last year, went full face for 2 weeks then went mustache only till Dec. IMO, the mustache aged me a good 10 years. This year I'm going full face till the 20th, I have an appt with the dermatologist on the 21st and want to be clean shaven for the inspection.

Matthew
11-07-2017, 02:38 PM
Can't stand facial hair. Wife hates it too! And I have no clue how guys like the dudes from duck dynasty can stand those beards. Looks terrible and ages you a decade in my opinion. Why am I so angry about beards?! I need to go for a ride.

Bradford
11-07-2017, 02:50 PM
I did it three years ago and haven't shaved since.

I had planned on shaving after that ski season but my daughter wouldn't let me.

Luwabra
11-07-2017, 03:28 PM
ive got the biggest beard ive ever had to date right now.. i have the ability to grow a monster full stache so that helps accessorize the beard lolol.. im on 5 months no trim and liking it a lot

Seramount
11-07-2017, 03:29 PM
over the years, I've had every variation of facial hair possible.

moustache, mutton chops, goatee, fu manchu, soul patch, full beard, geologist beard (no 'stache)...

it all looks awful on me.

I shave 7 days/week...no biggie.

mattnes17
11-07-2017, 03:36 PM
I have terrible Norwegian or Swedish facial hair gene's and this year is the first year I've actually been able to grow something semi respectable/visible.. Its itchy and dry and I find myself tugging at it often. Not sure if I'm a fan! :confused:

Bob Ross
11-07-2017, 04:45 PM
Ha! I forgot about this fad.
Ironically, I grew a beard for October, and shaved it off yesterday morning.

bobdenver1961
11-07-2017, 05:09 PM
I started in October. Went a full 6 weeks. Just could not take it any longer. The whole beard was pretty much Santa Claus grey. I looked like I should have been riding a trike around the retirement village!

Jaybee
11-07-2017, 05:41 PM
over the years, I've had every variation of facial hair possible.

moustache, mutton chops, goatee, fu manchu, soul patch, full beard, geologist beard (no 'stache)...

it all looks awful on me.

I shave 7 days/week...no biggie.

I'm an actual geologist, so I'm going to say that a)I've never heard it called that (always referred to that as the Abe Lincoln), and b) I've never seen it look good, except for Abe and c) as a result, I'm taking a small amount of offense right now. :fight:

Louis
11-07-2017, 08:12 PM
I'm an actual geologist

Given your lack of appropriate facial hair, I'm wondering if this is correct. ;)

(More seriously, I've never heard of such a thing either, but I'm an engineer, not a geologist.)

oldpotatoe
11-08-2017, 06:29 AM
This whole no-shave movember thing seems to be a lot of virtue signalling without much actual action for most men. I would rather just quietly give some cash to the cause and make a small difference. Raising awareness is not the same as raising money.

I'm gonna give some $ to the cause and just not shave, cuz I don't like to shave, even if I do look like an old, gray, homeless guy when I don't...:)

parris
11-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Spud that's what I'm struggling with right now... When the hell did this freaking gray hair come from?!?!?! I look a bit like some of the people that agencies bring into the facility on a weekend night :eek: