PDA

View Full Version : Oahu Rides?

Thrillho
11-06-2017, 11:45 AM
I am going to be in Oahu for a few days at the end of the month. I have a rental road bike reserved. Anyone have a clue on club rides or relatively safe routes?

CaptStash
11-08-2017, 11:57 AM
Looks like nobody answered this. I travel to Oahu for work at least every other month and find the cycling there to be excellent. I have occasionally had my schedule work out to be able to di group rides with Tradewinds. They have been quite open and inclusive; they're used to visitors joining in and don't get weird about it.

My favorite rides are Tantalus, which is a road that goes up above Manoa. It's about a ten mile loop - 5 up, five down and a solid unrelenting 1,500 ft climb followed by a fun descent. BE careful to check the weather because it can be doing the thunder and lightning thing up there while Waikiki is still sunny.

The other ride I regularly do is to ride through Waikiki and the park then over by Diamond Head to Hwy 72 towards the East end of the island. There is a cool lookout by the Makapuu Lighthouse, and you can keep going to Kailua. The maps makes it look like you could do a loop by coming back over the pass most commuters use to get to Waikiki from Kailua, but that highway is not bicycle safe at all.

The locals like to go inland around the other side of Coco Head rather than staying on the highway, but I prefer the ride by the beach, and have never had a problem with local traffic.

I have a write-up somewhere that a Paceline member did for me on how to get to Tantalus, I can dig it up if you want it.

You can find info. on Tradewinds here: The Bike Shop & Tradewinds Cycling Team (http://m.bikeshophawaii.com/tct.php)

Have you found a good rental yet?

Saul aka CaptStash....