PDA

View Full Version : Anaheim bike shop?

AngryScientist
11-06-2017, 07:54 AM
Morning Californiacs!

Quick question: need a few small items here in Anaheim, any particular bike shop worth stopping in at?

Riding from here down to SD in a few days.

I've got a car and would rather support a cool shop and don't mind a short drive.

Thanks Paceline support team.

Cicli
11-06-2017, 08:18 AM
My father manager ARB Cyclery in Irvine. Close.
Great shop.

whateveronfire
11-06-2017, 08:21 AM
The Path in Tustin

Ken Robb
11-06-2017, 11:03 AM
UC Cyclery and California Bicycles are both good shops in La Jolla, CA. California Bicycles has lots of fancy bikes on the floor and usually a good selection of OLD Campy stuff too. They have a very sophisticated fit system where you ride your bike on their trainer while watching videos of a "road". The resistance increases as you "climb" hills on the screen. You can make adjustments to fit, saddles, etc. and repeat the ride. Speed/effort is recorded so you get some quantified results besides subjective feel.

ravdg316
11-06-2017, 11:58 AM
Those guys are awesome. Bought a Gunnar Roadie from them years ago (posted here on the forums somewhere). The shop has an old school vibe -- stuffed to the gills with rare frames. They're partial to Italian brands and Ti. Great people, too.

ofcounsel
11-06-2017, 12:09 PM
For roadie stuff, check out East West Bikes in Fullerton, which is adjacent to Anaheim. They're a "Campy friendly" shop, and stock Parlee, Pinarello, Colnago, Assos cothing and some other good stuff.

http://www.ewbikes.com/ Plus, after you shop there, there's a lot of good places to eat within a few hundred feet. Try the Burger Parlor!

For mtb stuff, The Path Bike Shop in Tustin is the place. Their main brands are Santa Cruz, Pivot, Kona, Intense, Rocky Mountain, BMC and Giant. They sell other brands as well. But what sets The Path apart from other shops is the amount of inventory and spare parts they stock. That, and their all riders. http://www.thepathbikeshop.com/

Honorable mention for MTB in OC is The Bike Co. in Lake Forest. They don't have as large a stock of bikes or spare/replacement parts. But they're who I would go to for a bespoke mountain bike (start with an Ibis, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth or Pivot frame and go from there), custom suspension or wheel builds in OC. http://bikeco.com/

parco
11-06-2017, 01:05 PM
+1 for Adrenaline Bikes. Great guys and they have everything.

beeatnik
11-06-2017, 01:20 PM
For roadie stuff, check out East West Bikes in Fullerton, which is adjacent to Anaheim. They're a "Campy friendly" shop, and stock Parlee, Pinarello, Colnago, Assos cothing and some other good stuff.

http://www.ewbikes.com/ Plus, after you shop there, there's a lot of good places to eat within a few hundred feet. Try the Burger Parlor!

Nick, I'd check out East West as it's in one of SoCal's few downtown villages. Along with Orange (and Santa Ana, somewhat), Fullerton is the only town in Orange County which doesn't feel like pure suburban sprawl (at its worst).

Also, East West is Livingmininal's home shop. Mention him and the owner may actually treat you respectfully.

tbike4
11-06-2017, 01:36 PM
+2 for Adrenaline in Orange. I walked in the first time and saw a display of jaw dropping steel bikes at the front and knew it just felt right. I took my Cervelo R3 there for a BB, they had it in stock. A wall full of Ti frames and very knowledgable.
https://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store.cfm?do=Browseproducts&CategoryID=2121

A shout out for the Path in Tustin as well. It's closer to me but the road bike eye candy is less. My mountain bike friends swear by it.

ofcounsel
11-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Fullerton in the only town in Orange County which doesn't feel like pure suburban sprawl (at its worst).

No.. Fullerton feels that way too. It's got over 100,000 residents. But at least it's downtown core area (where the shop is located) has the old school feel...But that's an overall small part of Fullerton.

beeatnik
11-06-2017, 01:49 PM
Right, I meant mostly the downtown area and the older, blighted neighborhoods. However, IMO, including the hills and CSUF, there's enough architectural diversity in Fullerton that the Giant Subdivision and Mile Long wall feel isn't as prevalent as in comparable Orange Curtain cities (Garden Grove, Anaheim, Huntington Beach).

ofcounsel
11-06-2017, 01:54 PM
Right, I meant mostly the downtown area and the older, blighted neighborhoods. However, IMO, including the hills and CSUF, there's enough architectural diversity in Fullerton that the Giant Subdivision and Mile Long wall feel isn't as prevalent as in comparable Orange Curtain cities (Garden Grove, Anaheim, Huntington Beach).

Agreed! I live in Brea, but I'm at the Fullerton Loop a few nights a week. If I could do things over again, I'd move to Fullerton around the Sunny Hills area.

PeregrineA1
11-06-2017, 02:23 PM
More votes for The Path and Adrenaline.

Bicycle Tree is the coop in Santa Ana. Sometimes things worth picking up there.

Ken Robb
11-07-2017, 11:26 AM
Morning Californiacs!

Quick question: need a few small items here in Anaheim, any particular bike shop worth stopping in at?

Riding from here down to SD in a few days.

I've got a car and would rather support a cool shop and don't mind a short drive.

Thanks Paceline support team.
Are you driving to SD or riding your bike? Staying in SD or one day up/back?

AngryScientist
11-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Thanks guys!

East West hooked me up with what I needed and some route advice too.

ken- riding the bike down. We'll be in SD for several days, which should be nice,

Cheers folks!

parallelfish
11-07-2017, 07:16 PM
Have you checked in with Camp Pendelton for passage through the base?

andeww
11-07-2017, 09:17 PM
Yes this was going to be my small tip^
Ride through the base to avoid a bad 5mi stretch of freeway shoulder.
They recommend checking in online but I have never done that, just smile and show a state id. Safe travelz

ofcounsel
11-07-2017, 09:45 PM
Thanks guys!

ken- riding the bike down. We'll be in SD for several days, which should be nice,

Cheers folks!

Nice!

tbike4
11-07-2017, 10:09 PM
They recommend checking in online but I have never done that, just smile and show a state id. Safe travelz

Rode through the base on Oct 21, 22 for the MS benefit ride. ID's were checked, hundreds and hundreds so don't forget it. Smiling is good too. ;)

Ken Robb
11-07-2017, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys!

Cheers folks!

Maybe we can get together for a drink/meal? Where are you staying?

ptourkin
11-08-2017, 07:42 AM

Totally disagree. The shoulder is flatter and faster. The only death/injury we've had that I'm aware of is Udo Heinz of Ranchos which happened on the base. Stay on the 5 (get off and on at the rest stop.)

ofcounsel
11-08-2017, 08:10 AM
Totally disagree. The shoulder is flatter and faster. The only death/injury we've had that I'm aware of is Udo Heinz of Ranchos which happened on the base. Stay on the 5 (get off and on at the rest stop.)

The shoulder is flatter and faster, but from my perspective, brings no joy. The rush of the cars and all the noise from the cars flying by adjacent to you at 75 mph is a buzz kill.

ptourkin
11-08-2017, 02:36 PM
The shoulder is flatter and faster, but from my perspective, brings no joy. The rush of the cars and all the noise from the cars flying by adjacent to you at 75 mph is a buzz kill.

Yes, not aesthetically pleasing but much faster and less hassle and I'd say safer.

MergeForTheKill
11-08-2017, 02:56 PM
My father manager ARB Cyclery in Irvine. Close.
Great shop.

Crazy, who is your dad? ARB is an awesome shop.