PDA

View Full Version : Question on Campy stuff: powertorque & chain types

54ny77
11-05-2017, 09:59 PM
I just picked up an Athena 11 spd group and having zero familiarity with modern day Campy I have a couple questions if you Campy literati would kindly assist.

1) What is Powertorque and do I need a special tool to install a Powertorque BB? Any tips or tricks I need to know re: loctite or grease on outboard bearing threads? (I'm very familar with SRAM and SHimano outboard BB install, so I would assume same general process, but wanted to check here first.)

2) For chains, do I need to buy Campy for optimal performance, or is there a good aftermarket alternative that doesn't break the bank. For example, I will often use KMC chains on SRAM and Shimano stuff, works as well as Shimano (in my opinion).

3) For Cassettes, are the groups relatively interchangeable, i.e., so long as it's 11 speed, it'll work?

Thanks.

FlashUNC
11-05-2017, 11:18 PM
For install? No, as long as you have the allen big enough for the NDS crankarm. Removal is another story.

KMC chains are fine. Used them with all sorts of Campy 11 groups over the years.

Cassettes are interchangeable. Chorus if you're worried about wear at all.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2017, 06:41 AM
I just picked up an Athena 11 spd group and having zero familiarity with modern day Campy I have a couple questions if you Campy literati would kindly assist.

1) What is Powertorque and do I need a special tool to install a Powertorque BB? Any tips or tricks I need to know re: loctite or grease on outboard bearing threads? (I'm very familar with SRAM and SHimano outboard BB install, so I would assume same general process, but wanted to check here first.)

2) For chains, do I need to buy Campy for optimal performance, or is there a good aftermarket alternative that doesn't break the bank. For example, I will often use KMC chains on SRAM and Shimano stuff, works as well as Shimano (in my opinion).

3) For Cassettes, are the groups relatively interchangeable, i.e., so long as it's 11 speed, it'll work?

Thanks.

1) Big long armed allen(17mm?, gotta look at mine)..grease in BB shell, in RH cup, use the clip!!. Grease around wavy washer, around bearing and on crank bolt threads, washer..don't forget the washer!! TIGHT 42 NM, 372 inch pounds, I tighten it till it 'stops'...TIGHT. NO LOCTITE.

2)Any good 11s chain..KMC, Campag, even shimano

3)11s is 11s, both w/i Campagnolo and with shimano 11s, if you have a HG/shimano wheel instead of a far superior Campag one.

54ny77
11-06-2017, 06:58 AM
Re: #3, thanks. Campy cassette pricing is ridiculous. I mean, truly ridiculous. About $500 retail for the top shelf Super Record 12-27?

1) Big long armed allen(17mm?, gotta look at mine)..grease in BB shell, in RH cup, use the clip!!. Grease around wavy washer, around bearing and on crank bolt threads, washer..don't forget the washer!! TIGHT 42 NM, 372 inch pounds, I tighten it till it 'stops'...TIGHT. NO LOCTITE.

2)Any good 11s chain..KMC, Campag, even shimano

3)11s is 11s, both w/i Campagnolo and with shimano 11s, if you have a HG/shimano wheel instead of a far superior Campag one.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2017, 07:02 AM
Re: #3, thanks. Campy cassette pricing is ridiculous. I mean, truly ridiculous. About $500 retail for the top shelf Super Record 12-27?

Yup, but 6 titanium cogs in SR..and titanium ain't cheap but get Chorus and I suspect that a 'Potenza' version one is forthcoming particularly since Veloce 10s is on the way out and Centaur is now 11s. BUT all steel Campag cogsets, easy to find in the $100 range..NO reason to get Record or SR..NO performance advantage, just a wee bit lighter.

BUT $500 is even high for SR...in the US, a shop that buys cogsets from a distributor..'should' be in the $425 range..using a 35 point margin.

54ny77
11-06-2017, 07:07 AM
I just randomly clicked on competitive cyclist and priced a 12-27 it was $493. Plus shipping and tax, there ya go. That aside, $400-$500, at that point it doesn't matter.

Yup, but 6 titanium cogs in SR..and titanium ain't cheap but get Chorus and I suspect that a 'Potenza' version one is forthcoming particularly since Veloce 10s is on the way out and Centaur is now 11s. BUT all steel Campag cogsets, easy to find in the $100 range..NO reason to get Record or SR..NO performance advantage, just a wee bit lighter.

BUT $500 is even high for SR...in the US, a shop that buys cogsets from a distributor..'should' be in the $425 range..using a 35 point margin.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2017, 07:11 AM
I just randomly clicked on competitive cyclist and priced a 12-27 it was $493. Plus shipping and tax, there ya go. That aside, $400-$500, at that point it doesn't matter.

I understand completely and not necessarily a fan of UK MO places but...

https://www.merlincycles.com/campagnolo-super-record-11-speed-cassette-48489.html

Chorus and 'Potenza' at about $95.

john segal
11-06-2017, 09:23 AM
Wait a sec--Veloce 10 speed is going away?

FlashUNC
11-06-2017, 09:27 AM
Wait a sec--Veloce 10 speed is going away?

Yup.

Mark McM
11-06-2017, 10:49 AM
I1) What is Powertorque and do I need a special tool to install a Powertorque BB? Any tips or tricks I need to know re: loctite or grease on outboard bearing threads? (I'm very familar with SRAM and SHimano outboard BB install, so I would assume same general process, but wanted to check here first.)

Are you referring to installing the BB into the frame, or installing the cranks into the BB? The other responders discussed install the cranks. Installation of the cups into the frame will vary, depending on frame/cup type (press-fit BB, threaded BB), but otherwise is similar to other BB's into that particular frame type. For press-fit, a standard cup press is used, and bearing retaining compound (such as Loctite 609) is often recommended. For threaded, a standard external cup tool can be used, and anti-seize is usually recommended.