PDA

View Full Version : dynamo Garmin and charger advice for Ride the Divide

cetuximab
11-05-2017, 09:06 PM
One of my cycling buddies wants to retire next year or the following year and do The Ride the Divide.

I told him I could do a few days, perhaps a week on the Colorado section.

My garmin edge 25 will not stay on the quarter turn mount if hooked up to the charger. Does the Edge 800 or older maping Garmin have a charging port separate from the quarter turn mount? I already have the Garmin micro SD topo map of the Southern Rockies.

If it too expensive to have have a dynamo hub built up, I have a couple portable battery chargers. But it would be slick to charge the phone and garmin while riding.

It sounds like a fun adventure.

weisan
11-05-2017, 09:58 PM
Does the Edge 800 or older maping Garmin have a charging port separate from the quarter turn mount?

yes

cetuximab
11-06-2017, 12:29 AM
Do the shutter precision and shimano dynamo hubs work at ~7 mph (climbing speeds)?

ergott
11-06-2017, 05:02 AM
Do the shutter precision and shimano dynamo hubs work at ~7 mph (climbing speeds)?

Not well. Best for low speed in my experience is Schmidt.

rwsaunders
11-06-2017, 06:17 AM
In issue 63 of BQ there’s a Chapman that was built with a dynamo which runs the lights and keeps the Di2 charged.

Billybob62
11-06-2017, 06:42 AM

The "P" series shutter precision hubs have the same rated output as the Schmidt SON 28 so should charge about the same. I charge my Wahoo Element Bolt via a Sinewave Reactor running from my SP dynamo and it works wonderfully (it seems to charge whenever you are going over about 9 mph).

On a related topic, I much prefer using the Wahoo Element Bolt when charging from a dynamo. The Garmin products will chirp and give the "external power lost" warning everytime power is insufficient (i.e. whenever you go uphill). The Wahoo just remains silent, charging when power is available and remains blistfully silent when climbing.

ptourkin
11-06-2017, 08:29 AM
I would charge a storage battery when you are going fast enough to make power and charge your devices from that. As stated, the problem on mtb endurance events with a hub is that you aren't making power on long slow climbs. The Sinewave Beacon light/battery combo was specifically made to address this as was the K-Lite system.

Starting off with a storage battery gives you a head start of a day or so and then you can start refilling it off the hub after you use it for a few charges. This is my strategy on long brevets and endurance races and it obviates the possibility of having your Garmin or phone die before you can recharge.