PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Hydro H11 HO groups

pakora
11-05-2017, 08:53 PM
I'm in the market for a new bike and the builder surprised me that the hydro disc stuff that Campy was prototyping a few years ago is out. I searched and didn't find any threads of impressions or picking it apart here - anyone using it?

joosttx
11-05-2017, 09:02 PM
I'm in the market for a new bike and the builder surprised me that the hydro disc stuff that Campy was prototyping a few years ago is out. I searched and didn't find any threads of impressions or picking it apart here - anyone using it?

Yeah it is. I rode 350 miles 30,000ft on gravel, jeep trials and road with a very discerning fella who had the new campy hydro group. He loved it and felt the braking modulations was perfect which was a critisim with shimano road hydro stuff. If Lionel likes it it means its probably pretty good.

joosttx
11-05-2017, 09:12 PM
Here is a quick review:

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/road-discs-may-have-future-after-all-campy-content-48334.html. (His seven that he refers to has the campy hydro group)

And here which starts on page 7 or so

https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f4/reno2cino-deux-46625-7.html

PaMtbRider
11-06-2017, 06:11 AM
I saw 2 bikes at the Philly Bike Expo this weekend that had the new Campy Disc setup. Ergonomics of them feel great.

Bryce from 22 bicycles told me they have an editor for a Canadian magazine doing a long term review of one of their bikes with the new Campy H11 group. His feedback so far has been very positive.

One of the things I don't like about Shimano hydraulics is the amount of lever travel (free stroke) before the pads touch the disc. The Campy setup didn't seem to have this problem. Can't wait to actually get a chance to ride a bike with the new H11 group.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2017, 06:20 AM

I haven't but Jim at Vecchio's has installed 4-5 on a variety of Moots and very positive. Easy set up, very good 'feel', perfect function..

ultraman6970
11-06-2017, 08:18 AM
Was reading after seeing this thread and campagnolo really put a lot of innovation in this things, magnets instead of springs and stuff. Looks like getting late to the party really paid off this time, those brifters and calipers look great.

I do not like disc stuff but now after seeing the pictures I would love to have a potenza disc hydro bike...

Tickdoc
11-06-2017, 08:25 AM
t Jim at Vecchio's has installed 4-5 on a variety of Moots and very positive.

That's got to be good for business. It hasn't been out that long.

pakora
11-06-2017, 08:43 AM
I should note this since I don't post often about impressions of gear: I'm asking because most of my non-dirt miles in the past 4 years have been on the generation of alloy Chorus y'all agree is the the best. I didn't care for it at first (the button just looks so stupid!) but it grew on me, especially shifting up (and especially in the drops) (and even though I hate downshifting quickly when I hit a steep hill). I don't use campy brakes though (needed to fit large tires). I assume their braking is already amazing, since Dura Ace caliper brakes are amazing.

I've never ridden the Shimano road disc stuff and I assume it is functionally at least as good at the 7800 generation shifting (which is amazing) and the brakes modulation and power is as good at XT mountain brakes so I'm taking for granted that R8000 would be fine.

Sram though... it feels like using a toaster. A toaster that always works (and works great even!) but still a toaster. Brakes are great though. No complaints. I would Sram again on a cross race bike any day (which is where I have it).

(I think all of the groups are ugly though, so there's no aesthetic that can help me decide, beside Potenza being available in silver)

Duende
11-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Been riding Record HO Hydro for a few months now. So far it's been performing flawlessly.

Haven't put in as many miles as I would like due to biz trips, but no complaints here. Super happy with it, and glad I took the investment plunge!

tylercheung
11-06-2017, 10:26 AM
I'm stuck w/ Shimano or SRAM as the rear triangle of this bike I'm building up has post/IS standard mounts :/ There is a Magura hack but it seems complicated...

PaMtbRider
11-06-2017, 10:27 AM
)... and the brakes modulation and power is as good at XT mountain brakes ...
)

I wish that were true but has not been the case in my experience. I am not saying they are bad, but nowhere as good as the XT brakes.

Lanternrouge
11-06-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm stuck w/ Shimano or SRAM as the rear triangle of this bike I'm building up has post/IS standard mounts :/ There is a Magura hack but it seems complicated...

I think Shimano has converters. I'm not sure if they would fit the Campy calipers. I don't think anyone has been smitten yet for having mixed Campy and Shimano.

Elefantino
11-06-2017, 10:48 AM
We have had many complaints - well, that's not entirely fair; let's call them "concerns" - about the lever travel with Shimano wet road brakes. It is not that way with their MTB brakes. We have had customers who have both kinds *insist* that we bleed the road brakes because there is too much lever play before engagement. This was particularly true with the most recent generation of Ultegra.

Will be interested to see what the Campys feel like when we play with them at the SF mechanic symposium in January.

R3awak3n
11-06-2017, 11:22 AM
I literally was just looking at campy hyro, like an hour ago. Is it really that expensive? Like each of the cheap shifters are $300.... really? the higher level shifters $600 each. You funny campy

ultraman6970
11-06-2017, 11:31 AM
I checked prices and honestly doesnt look like that expensive comparatively speaking with the other stuff.

timto
11-06-2017, 11:44 AM
I’m an Ultegra 6800 hydro user and should not have put my mitts on this set up.... terrible want and envy ensued. Great shape, lever pull felt great ... really great

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/38bc88b6ff7dc74ac7104ff92fef2bfe.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/a75ee2c1d4ef1e262e6a450a1d446935.jpg

Oh - somehow the pics make the levers look more ridiculous than they seemed in real life. Definitely less chunky and bulky than shimano

PaMtbRider
11-06-2017, 12:04 PM
I checked prices and honestly doesnt look like that expensive comparatively speaking with the other stuff.

They're certainly not inexpensive. I got a quote from Carl Strong on a build kit using Campy H11. $4773 The same build kit using Dura-Ace is $4184

R3awak3n
11-06-2017, 12:38 PM
They're certainly not inexpensive. I got a quote from Carl Strong on a build kit using Campy H11. $4773 The same build kit using Dura-Ace is $4184

I think the difference is bigger with potenza (thats the lower level group right?)

Tickdoc
11-06-2017, 12:55 PM
I’m an Ultegra 6800 hydro user and should not have put my mitts on this set up.... terrible want and envy ensued. Great shape, lever pull felt great ... really great

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/38bc88b6ff7dc74ac7104ff92fef2bfe.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171106/a75ee2c1d4ef1e262e6a450a1d446935.jpg

Oh - somehow the pics make the levers look more ridiculous than they seemed in real life. Definitely less chunky and bulky than shimano

I like that whole bike. well, maybe not the pedals, but everything else.

oldpotatoe
11-06-2017, 01:21 PM

Well, carbon and titanium are expensive(SR) but the hydro levers, calipers and rotors are the same for all 3 groups for Campag. Considering materials, DA most like Record or even Chorus. Pretty hard to compare, but for ‘value’, I’d say Chorus crank, ders, cogset, chain and then add H11.

tylercheung
11-06-2017, 02:13 PM
I think Shimano has converters. I'm not sure if they would fit the Campy calipers. I don't think anyone has been smitten yet for having mixed Campy and Shimano.

It might be an idea, i guess. It'd be more Campy shifters w/ shimano post-mount brakes...but it seems like there's always glitches w/ fluid types, hoses, etc. We ran into enough compatibility issues w/ Shimano old-hydro vs new-hydro (hoses from the 9120/8120s are slightly different than for older RS785 calipers. Sooner or later it will be a genuine bona fide Rube Goldberg machine!

DfCas
11-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Since my frame and fork are IS disc mount, does that mean that the Campy brakes are not an option?