PDA

View Full Version : which bike for 6 Gap?

Geoff
09-19-2006, 08:18 AM
I, for the first time, have found my self in the fortunate position of having two raod bikes. I cant decide which one to take to ride 6 Gap. I have a Lemond Victorie (titanium) and a Serotta Atlanta. I have put off the desiction as lond as posible but now I need to install the compact on the one I will be bringing. Both bikes fit equally, so the only difference is wieght about 3 lbs.

For better or worse I leave it to the forum to decide.

Thanks,

Geoff

LegendRider
09-19-2006, 09:14 AM
As you know, it has over 10,000 ft. of climbing. I'd go with the lighter bike assuming you are comfortable descending Hogpen at 50+ mph on it.

What wheels are you riding?

Geoff
09-19-2006, 09:18 AM
both bikes have teh same whell set by Joe Young, DT 240s and RR 1.1 rims.

The Atlanta does handel better and that is really the only reason I am concidering it. I have ridden the lemond up there on several occations, but kept the decents around 45 which was the max that bike likes to go.

LegendRider
09-19-2006, 09:23 AM
Are you attempting a PR or good time? Or, are you riding more casually with friends?

The best time I ever did on Six Gap was on a Legend with Zipp 303s.

Climb01742
09-19-2006, 09:24 AM
that much climbing won't be a picnic on any bike. i might choose the bike you feel more comfortable descending on.

Geoff
09-19-2006, 09:26 AM
THis is my first time ridding this so I just want to have a good time and post a reasonable time 6 hr would be great.

bironi
09-19-2006, 09:51 AM
A bike that won't descend well over 45mph? Something is wrong here.

Geoff
09-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Yeah Yeah

This goes back to the death wobble thing. I have found that with this bike when I take it up over that speed that it can be stable but it does not take much to get it to shake rattle and roll. So I ussally just keep it below that and all is good.

Lincoln
09-19-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah Yeah

This goes back to the death wobble thing. I have found that with this bike when I take it up over that speed that it can be stable but it does not take much to get it to shake rattle and roll. So I ussally just keep it below that and all is good.

I was going to say the lighter one, but now I agreee with Climb. Not a time to be worried about the bike, especially as you get fatigued.