PDA

View Full Version : Merida Bikes in US

wastingtime
11-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Don’t see any dealers in the us. Can we get them here, or do we have to go indirectly through a friend in a foreign country? Some of the new bikes look very nice.

Aware of the specialized connection, but you would have to pay me to ride a Vias.

FlashUNC
11-05-2017, 06:43 PM
Merida in the US? Lol.

Merida is in the US. They're called Specialized.

sales guy
11-05-2017, 06:53 PM
Part of the deal with Merida and Spesh is they are not allowed to sell in North America. Merida owns more than 50% of Spesh also.

If you want to buy one, you need to buy it overseas and ship it over.

tylercheung
11-05-2017, 07:47 PM
vs. say Giant, that's the other big Taiwanese manufacturer?

wastingtime
11-05-2017, 08:55 PM
New Merida Reacto > spec Vias.

Does anyone have experience buying from dealers outside of us? Is it best to order from a central/Southern American dealer or European?

Kontact
11-05-2017, 09:15 PM

Does anyone have experience buying from dealers outside of us? Is it best to order from a central/Southern American dealer or European?

Europe is a safer bet, and often a good deal because of ex-Vat prices. Shipping anything from South America often seems to involve complications.

Anyone want to post an example of the awesome Merida's we're missing?

The Asian bike I've wished was imported was a Japanese steel bike where the tubes were hydroformed into their own lugs.

pbarry
11-05-2017, 09:19 PM
^^ Images of the hydroformed tubing/lugs please. :)

Kontact
11-05-2017, 09:41 PM
^^ Images of the hydroformed tubing/lugs please. :)

If I could remember the name I would put a link up. But the top and down tube wrapped around the head tube. Bianchi did something similar at one point.

dvancleve
11-05-2017, 10:59 PM
If I could remember the name I would put a link up. But the top and down tube wrapped around the head tube. Bianchi did something similar at one point.

Bridgestone/Anchor RNC7 Neo Cot :)

homagesilkhope
11-05-2017, 11:22 PM
Part of the deal with Merida and Spesh is they are not allowed to sell in North America. Merida owns more than 50% of Spesh also.

Splitting a hair here, but if Merida in fact owns more than 50% of Specialized, then it's very likely the case that Merida is choosing not to compete - for now - with its majority-owned, U.S. brand in North America.

fignon's barber
11-06-2017, 07:44 AM

The pictures of the reacto look nice, but I think it just looks better because it's "pro-toured up" with nice parts and graphics. Same frame though.

http://granfondo-cycling.com/review-merida-reacto-disc-team-e/

Mark McM
11-06-2017, 10:36 AM

It's the other way around - Merida owns less than 50% of Specialized (49%, actually). Mike Sinyard, Specialized's founder, is the still the majority owner.

Elefantino
11-06-2017, 10:50 AM
It's the other way around - Merida owns less than 50% of Specialized (49%, actually). Mike Sinyard, Specialized's founder, is the still the majority owner.

By all rights Cafe Roubaix should own part of Sinyard's share.