PDA

View Full Version : OT - Passive Listening Devices (Amazon Echo, Google Home)

Monthly Payment
11-05-2017, 06:19 AM
Anyone a big user of Amazon or Google at home devices? Anyone leave Siri on their iPhones? Do you think most homes will eventually have passive listening devices?

Right now, I'm skeptical of the benefit to being able to talk to my device anytime outweighs the privacy intrusion. I wonder if I'm just fighting the inevitable. They are so cheap right now and I'm sure they will only get cheaper, free, or built into devices as companies figure out how to monetize it in ways I can't even dream about.

Privacy rules/laws/terms of service are going to have get a lot better (or at least more transparent).

EDIT: To be clear, I really want to hear from people that use it and like it. No judgment from me. I'm likely on the fence about getting one myself.

binxnyrwarrsoul
11-05-2017, 06:26 AM

William
11-05-2017, 09:41 AM
:)

William

dbnm
11-05-2017, 10:53 AM
I have the Amazon Echo and use it for home entertainment and basic info. In a few weeks, I will be setting up a camera system with it.

verticaldoug
11-05-2017, 11:13 AM
It might be better than having a pet myna bird.

Alexa, play back any sounds heard while I was at the office...

Tony T
11-05-2017, 12:36 PM
Right now, I'm skeptical of the benefit to being able to talk to my device anytime outweighs the privacy intrusion.

I'm sure that there is no way that they can listen without you knowing.
I mean, its not like it can record 24/7, right? ;) Pre-release Google Home Mini goes rogue, starts recording 24/7 (https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/10/pre-release-google-home-mini-goes-rogue-starts-recording-247)

That said, I do have Siri (as well as Google Assistant) on my iPhone, however I have voice control off, so I access Siri with a long press on the Home Button

cribbit
11-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Everyone should have at least one of these microphones in their home

this message brought to you by not the NSA

Bob Ross
11-05-2017, 12:47 PM
My company is a custom integrator of audio/video/lighting/control systems for upscale residential clients, and we've been adding Amazon's Alexa to our offerings...more because customers are asking for it rather than because we necessarily think it's a Great Thing™.

Personally I'm a bit skeptical; to my mind the verbal gymnastics you need to go through to get it to achieve most tasks aren't worth the hassle versus just picking up a remote control (or Smart Phone), or walking over to the nearest inwall touchpanel.

otoh, I guess I can see the appeal of saying "Alexa, turn off the hall lights" when I'm sacked out in the Living Room watching TV and don't feel like getting up...or moving at all.

sg8357
11-05-2017, 04:32 PM
Alexa, send all my money to Jeff Bezos.

Tony T
11-05-2017, 04:42 PM
Alexa, send all my money to Jeff Bezos.

https://static.seekingalpha.com/uploads/2016/5/957061_14634213152838_rId6.jpg

verticaldoug
11-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Maybe we can have a Mr Robot episode which calls out to Alexa from the TV and commands them all to run a DDOS script.

Bob Ross
11-05-2017, 06:21 PM
Someone recently suggested a wonderful criminal hack: Drive down a residential block with a PA system loudly announcing "Alexa, unlock the front door!"

thegunner
11-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Maybe we can have a Mr Robot episode which calls out to Alexa from the TV and commands them all to run a DDOS script.

you mean what south park already basically did?

Cicli
11-05-2017, 06:27 PM
Someone recently suggested a wonderful criminal hack: Drive down a residential block with a PA system loudly announcing "Alexa, unlock the front door!"

Stealthy. :fight:

Tony T
11-06-2017, 08:28 AM

Also "Google…"

jimcav
11-06-2017, 09:58 AM
if I did, and it could order my favorite take out Indian, I'd use it too much.
one step closer to the tech of 'minority report' (not meaning precognitive stuff).
As long as free speech is intact, I don't care who listens, or who knows what websites I visit. I sort of assume if someone really wanted to, there is a way to make my phone or TV or something listen. Also don't think I am a worthy target of any such effort.

54ny77
11-06-2017, 10:21 AM
does alexa have a "pissed off spouse" mode where it'll ignore you?

myth_jimmy
11-06-2017, 10:22 AM
we use alexa to play jeopardy everyday and that's about it.
it's also nice to play music and get news updates, and setting cooking timers.

I think the privacy concerns are pretty funny. people make such a huge deal of privacy and secrecy in this country.

just using the internet means private companies know a whole bunch about mostly everyone already.