PDA

View Full Version : Strava - use my real name.

Mikej
11-04-2017, 03:19 PM
Name ������Just wondering if you guys use an alias or if it’s not needed? It seems like a useful tool but also very possibly allowing more info than I’d like.

BobO
11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
I haven't seen a compelling reason not to use my real name. Though I have set a fairly wide privacy zone around my home.

R3awak3n
11-04-2017, 03:33 PM
you can use your real name and then enable privacy so it will just display your first name and not last name (kind of like your username here).

Then only people that follow you can see your full name (and new followers need to be approved by you)

rnhood
11-04-2017, 03:34 PM
I always use my name. I've never been one to want to hide myself. Just not me. On Strava, you have the option of preventing others from seeing your data, but keep in mind its only a casual social type tool. It's good for seeing routes that might be good options, and it's good for seeing the typical pace of group rides, thus enabling one to pick a group consistent with your abilities and desires. Those are the two main things I look at, and really don't care about the other features,options, challenges, etc. Don't read into it more than what's there.

dbnm
11-04-2017, 03:46 PM
I use my real name.

adub
11-04-2017, 04:36 PM
Strava has crap privacy options, especially for "premium" members.

Cicli
11-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Real name or, Lance Armstrong? :fight:

DavidC
11-04-2017, 04:48 PM
I, also, have never found a reason not to use real name. As others mentioned, if you want to hide your rides from strangers, you can set your profile and/or individual rides to private.

Additionally, there’s nothing much more annoying with this tool then someone who uses the name “dawgpound” or something, then sets the profile picture to a sunset or some applesauce or something. Odd that these people hide who they are but then try and use it as a social media tool (friend requests, commenting, even “hey you wanna ride?”). Since strava is based on doing real things in the real world, the social media aspect is about knowing who you’re communicating with.

bheight1
11-04-2017, 06:17 PM
Name ������Just wondering if you guys use an alias or if it’s not needed? It seems like a useful tool but also very possibly allowing more info than I’d like.

I don't use my full name and use enhanced privacy. For me, it's about employer and employees knowing everything I do when I do it should they choose to seek me out. Social media is very intrusive and I like to separate my work and personal life as much as possible. The friends I allow to follow me know who I am.

1centaur
11-04-2017, 08:14 PM
I don't use my real name. No reason to. I use a real sounding name so as not to trigger any Strava complaints about their policy. I like to use fake names as much as possible to make database matching harder for those who feel the need. I use wrong birthdays, wrong birth years, wrong household incomes, wrong professions. I fill databases with junk.

Dead Man
11-04-2017, 09:36 PM
what use have dead men for names?

tylercheung
11-04-2017, 09:41 PM
There was a rumor that there was a bike thief ring sniffing out cyclist's home addresses on public Strava rides in the LA area a couple of years back...that spooked me so I just make everything private.

joosttx
11-04-2017, 09:44 PM
I use strava's enhanced privacy setting. This allows someone who knows me to find me and send request a request to follow me. No one can see my data without my approval which I realize I gave when I accept a person to follow and when I accepted the terms to use strava.

doomridesout
11-04-2017, 11:08 PM
It's somewhat absurd considering the degree to which personally identifiable information is available on other platforms for anyone curious enough to look, but I draw a line at locational information tied to my real name. I have an absurdist pseudonym on Strava.

It's not like I'm doing anything top secret. I don't check in on Facebook or geotag photos either. It's just a hang-up I have.

tigoat
11-05-2017, 05:03 AM
I use my real name on Strava, as I want my cycling performance data to associate with my name. I also use standard settings so anyone may follow me without my approval. Nowadays it is not too hard for someone to find you so there is no reason to hide just for this simple reason.

Mikej
11-05-2017, 07:13 AM
I use my real name on Strava, as I want my cycling performance data to associate with my name. I also use standard settings so anyone may follow me without my approval. Nowadays it is not too hard for someone to find you so there is no reason to hide just for this simple reason.

I guess I’m just not fast enough to admit it!!

carpediemracing
11-05-2017, 07:55 PM
I use my real name.

I set a privacy bubble around where I live.

However, ironically, Google has the wrong geographic location for my house and I like it that way. Unfortunately Strava shows where I start/stop my rides and it is outside the privacy circle I set (1/4 mile?). Hm, I'm going to see if I updated my circle appropriately.

tombtfslpk
11-06-2017, 08:58 AM
I use my real name on Strava, yet an alias of sorts here. :confused:
I do have a privacy bubble around where I live and I start my device manually at one of the stop signs either direction from my house. Which sort of skews my house location as viewed by others on Strava.
Those I ride with know where I live anyway and I'm along several popular riding routes. I work from home and they know I'm a good spot if they need repair or assistance.