PDA

View Full Version : Looking for cx frameset suggestions

Bonesbrigade
11-04-2017, 01:41 PM
I’ve been (mostly) happily riding and racing my spec aluminum crux for the past 4 or 5 seasons and I’m ready to move on. The crux has been a fantastic bike but there a few drawbacks: only fits 140mm rotors, qr dropouts, pressfit bb is annoying, and the rear only clears 40mm 700 and 42mm 650b.

I’m looking for a carbon or aluminum non custom that fits 650x47mm tires, TA, cx geo, and hopefully threaded BB. Ideas?

owly
11-04-2017, 03:53 PM
I’ve been (mostly) happily riding and racing my spec aluminum crux for the past 4 or 5 seasons and I’m ready to move on. The crux has been a fantastic bike but there a few drawbacks: only fits 140mm rotors, qr dropouts, pressfit bb is annoying, and the rear only clears 40mm 700 and 42mm 650b.

I’m looking for a carbon or aluminum non custom that fits 650x47mm tires, TA, cx geo, and hopefully threaded BB. Ideas?

Complete bike or frameset?

Bonesbrigade
11-04-2017, 04:18 PM
Frameset only. I just realized this kind of sounded like a classified post! I’m just wondering if anyone is aware of a frameset with those requirements. It seems like the threaded BB is the tough spec.

owly
11-05-2017, 03:40 AM
Coming up short on the cx geo at the moment:-

Mason Bokeh (alu) frameset has the other features, although the bbdrop is around 75, with a headangle of 70. It does have a rather low 'racy' front end though.

Fyxation carbon Quiver Disk frameset: again not cx geo.

Alan bikes have a couple of models; alu and carbon. Cross and Gravel. Their site does not list bbdrop and headtube angle. Nice looking frames but not sure about 650b x 47 clearance. Check their Outlet for some frames.

Edit: China frameset carbon; Workswell WCB-R-146. 67mm bbDrop, with a 71-72+ hta depending on size. BSA option.

Bonesbrigade
11-05-2017, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, it seems hard to find BSA, 47mm 650b clearance and cx geo.

I had a custom English built this year with BSA and the clearance but road geo, so I’m looking for a bike for cx and more agreessive trail riding - just not too relaxed.

Funny you mentioned the China frame as it seems to be the only one to tick all the boxes, but I’m not sure how comfortable I’d feel pushing it to the limit.

The Alan’s look interesting - I’ll inquire further to get more details from them. Thanks again.

fignon's barber
11-05-2017, 09:31 AM
I realize you said no custom, but based on your requirements a Rock Lobster would be a good choice, unless you need it today.

Bonesbrigade
11-05-2017, 09:52 AM
I realize you said no custom, but based on your requirements a Rock Lobster would be a good choice, unless you need it today.

No, this would be a winter project. The more I look, and not see what I’m looking for, I’m starting to open to the idea of custom. If I decide to go custom, Rock Lobster would certainly be considered.

yetitotheheady
11-05-2017, 11:04 AM
Spooky - everything but flat mount on the rear.

sonicCows
11-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Have you tried the new Trek Crockett? PF BB but otherwise meets most requirements

Bonesbrigade
11-05-2017, 11:34 AM
Spooky - everything but flat mount on the rear.

yeah, the Spooky is pretty rad. Man, they are just more than I'm willing to spend at this point though. For my budget, it's looking like I'll be forced into a major brand with press it and aluminum.

Bonesbrigade
11-05-2017, 11:36 AM
Have you tried the new Trek Crockett? PF BB but otherwise meets most requirements

Yep, that's a consideration now. It's looking like I'll have to give up on finding a threaded BB that isn't custom. Budget is less than $1k, so it will also need to be aluminum. thanks.

macaroon
11-05-2017, 11:58 AM
No idea what size tyre it'd fit with 650B

http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Models/Crosslight/CXRACE-EVO

sparky33
11-05-2017, 12:00 PM
Kinesis makes an aluminum CXRace Evo frameset that fits the bill.

Edit...Macaroon beat me to it!!!!

If the ask list can be compromised I would think the Trek Crockett or Lowe MKII Cross are excellent choices.