PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike Rental in Puerto Rico

Irishgirl
11-04-2017, 11:47 AM
I will be in Puerto Rico for an assignment and I’m looking to rent or maybe even buy a bike and then donate it while I’m there. Does anyone have a contact or recommendation for a bike shop?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bentley
11-04-2017, 12:03 PM
Have you been off the grid? Pretty much everything is non functional in Puerto Rico. There was never really an easy availability of quality bikes for rent. My sense from friends and family is that riding a bike is easy enough but you will likely be a target since locals are not doing much “recreational” riding

Good luck

Ray

Mr. Pink
11-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Wow. White people are funny sometimes.

Irishgirl
11-04-2017, 12:24 PM
Have you been off the grid? Pretty much everything is non functional in Puerto Rico. There was never really an easy availability of quality bikes for rent. My sense from friends and family is that riding a bike is easy enough but you will likely be a target since locals are not doing much “recreational” riding

Good luck

Ray

Hi Ray,

Very much on the grid which is why I will be on the island. There is a small window of down time and wanted to fit in some time on a bike. I reached out to a couple of shops already which are open & operational and it looks like I may have to go the route of buying a bike and donate. If you have any suggestions i would be grateful.

Mr. Pink
11-04-2017, 12:38 PM
Chris Rock shakes his head.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zap
11-04-2017, 01:15 PM
From a friend who is from Puerto Rico, ride with folks who know the area well.

This was before Maria.

peanutgallery
11-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Might have better luck in Afghanistan, Syria or Iraq at the moment

Get in, do your work, get out - count your blessings

I will be in Puerto Rico for an assignment and I’m looking to rent or maybe even buy a bike and then donate it while I’m there. Does anyone have a contact or recommendation for a bike shop?

Thanks!

gasman
11-04-2017, 01:51 PM
Come on. Why the hating ? She is probably bright enough to know to be careful where she goes. She is doing something to help which I think is great.
Good for you.
I’ve been to Haiti several times on Medical missions and if you’re careful you’ll be fine.

Irishgirl
11-04-2017, 01:59 PM
Come on. Why the hating ? She is probably bright enough to know to be careful where she goes. She is doing something to help which I think is great.

Good for you.

I’ve been to Haiti several times on Medical missions and if you’re careful you’ll be fine.

Thanks Gasman!! [emoji16]

Bentley
11-04-2017, 02:42 PM
Thanks Gasman!! [emoji16]

I'm not hating on anyone, I've got family there and gave thought to going down to help, I know PR well and they told me not to come. The media has done a good job of trying to communicate the situation in PR, but from people there and from folks I know who have fled the island they say its worse.

In general its sporty to ride in PR, unless you are riding in a group, which given the situation is not happening much. I believe that the OP was sincere in their request, but I would recommend against riding solo in PR right now.

Ray

gasman
11-04-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm not hating on anyone, I've got family there and gave thought to going down to help, I know PR well and they told me not to come. The media has done a good job of trying to communicate the situation in PR, but from people there and from folks I know who have fled the island they say its worse.

In general its sporty to ride in PR, unless you are riding in a group, which given the situation is not happening much. I believe that the OP was sincere in their request, but I would recommend against riding solo in PR right now.

Ray

Gotcha - good to know esp for the OP.

Bentley
11-04-2017, 04:52 PM
Gotcha - good to know esp for the OP.

I have done some things that in hindsight I might not have done if I had better advice. Most recent was traveling to Puerto Rico between Irma and Maria. Irma really did little damage, but I gave serious thought of extending thru...

I would recommend a hotel with a good gym and seriously avoid riding for a while. Not sure what you would do if you have a breakdown, which given the conditions there is not any unlikely event.

I truly have only the best of wishes for the OP regardless if she rides or not.

Irishgirl
11-04-2017, 05:43 PM
I have done some things that in hindsight I might not have done if I had better advice. Most recent was traveling to Puerto Rico between Irma and Maria. Irma really did little damage, but I gave serious thought of extending thru...

I would recommend a hotel with a good gym and seriously avoid riding for a while. Not sure what you would do if you have a breakdown, which given the conditions there is not any unlikely event.

I truly have only the best of wishes for the OP regardless if she rides or not.

Hi All!

I have to admit at first I was sad the responses seemed “harsh” and “judgmental”. We are on this forum for several reasons with the main one being our love for cycling. It’s wonderful to be able to “tap” into everyone’s experience and insight and thank you to all of you that share and provide guidance.

There is no doubt the people of PR need assistance and it would be great to pull together as a group, to find a way to support PR - I know I miss being able to get out on my bike when other activities reroute my schedule or access and I gotta think those on PR with passion for bikes and riding may be feeling some of the same in addition to struggling with access to basic fundamentals.

As an update I did find a place that rents bikes (the shop owner may join me) and will definitely take a good amount of caution.

Thanks again everyone!! [emoji16]

Cheers
J

Bentley
11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Post a review when you get back, the roads are not the best when all is good so be careful.

If the riding is not good I assure you taking a mask and snorkel will be worthwhile.

Best

Ray

Hi All!

I have to admit at first I was sad the responses seemed “harsh” and “judgmental”. We are on this forum for several reasons with the main one being our love for cycling. It’s wonderful to be able to “tap” into everyone’s experience and insight and thank you to all of you that share and provide guidance.

There is no doubt the people of PR need assistance and it would be great to pull together as a group, to find a way to support PR - I know I miss being able to get out on my bike when other activities reroute my schedule or access and I gotta think those on PR with passion for bikes and riding may be feeling some of the same in addition to struggling with access to basic fundamentals.

As an update I did find a place that rents bikes (the shop owner may join me) and will definitely take a good amount of caution.

Thanks again everyone!! [emoji16]

Cheers
J

ultraman6970
11-05-2017, 12:31 AM
I think the op will be better renting a 4x4 than a bicycle.

Ciavete
11-05-2017, 10:55 AM
These guys can probably help: http://www.vueltapr.com/Contact.

Their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/lavueltapuertorico

The island has been traumatized but the people out in the island, where I was born and know well, are accustomed to hardship and will help strangers in need. Just be mindful that there will likely not be basic power restored for months to come.

Have a great ride!